Sports Personality Of the Year

• Thread starter Deleted member 15344
  • Start date

Vikingman

Head Pro
Visit site
Gave up on it years ago.

Used to make me cringe.

Little more than a BBC love in and completely irrelevant.

Not worth getting wound up about.

D

Deleted member 18588

And the personality of a fish! (with apologies to fish!) :rolleyes:

But then Rory hardly comes across to the non-golfing public as Mr Charisma.

Personally I would say McIlroy's achievement was the greater but as far as personality goes Charlotte Dujardin's would probably win hands (or hooves) down.

JCW

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Whole thing is a load of rubbish as how sport do the BBC cover , how many votes were cast anyhow , just a pointless exercise these days

Adi2Dassler

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
More interesting than whether Rory deserves it more than Lewis is the obvious demise in folk following golf outside The Open and The Masters, both as a participation sport and as a viewing sport.We're all seeing clubs close down around us and memberships get older...maybe we're seeing the start of the end of golf as a relatively well represented sport?Hamilton got nearly 100,000 more votes than Rory, that's quite a big margin, and given the year Rory has had, maybe golf is just becoming a minority sport.Maybe no coincidence that the demise of Tiger Woods and a drop off in viewers, coupled with terrestrial TV not having the finances to show golf too often are all resulting in the contraction in our game.

FairwayDodger

Money List Winner
Visit site
More interesting than whether Rory deserves it more than Lewis is the obvious demise in folk following golf outside The Open and The Masters, both as a participation sport and as a viewing sport.We're all seeing clubs close down around us and memberships get older...maybe we're seeing the start of the end of golf as a relatively well represented sport?Hamilton got nearly 100,000 more votes than Rory, that's quite a big margin, and given the year Rory has had, maybe golf is just becoming a minority sport.Maybe no coincidence that the demise of Tiger Woods and a drop off in viewers, coupled with terrestrial TV not having the finances to show golf too often are all resulting in the contraction in our game.

Those of us with Sky probably have a false perspective on this - there's never been more golf on TV and I watch more than ever. I agree, however, the lack of golf on terrestrial TV must be a factor in the sport's diminishing popularity. Alongside all the other initiatives I hope the "powers that be" take note and try to get some more onto our screens.

D

Deleted member 18588

Those of us with Sky probably have a false perspective on this - there's never been more golf on TV and I watch more than ever. I agree, however, the lack of golf on terrestrial TV must be a factor in the sport's diminishing popularity. Alongside all the other initiatives I hope the "powers that be" take note and try to get some more onto our screens.

I think these concerns are very soundly based.

On of the reasons that there are very few tournaments staged in the UK is the difficulties in finding sponsors and they will not come forward with so little exposure in the mainstream media. Sky Sports are seen by the public as a "football channel" unless you are already a follower of one of the other sports they cover.

Cricket suffers in much the same way.

Adi2Dassler

Journeyman Pro
Visit site

up until the Masters this year I had sky sports and watched SP4 (?) every week.Got rid and since then, it's pretty much only The Open and Dunhill I've seen.Shame.

FairwayDodger

Money List Winner
Visit site
is there a lot of F1 terrestrial TV coverage?

I know SKY has an F1 channel

The Beeb still show a large number of races live and highlights of all the rest.

A classic example of the importance of terrestrial TV is the MotoGP. I love it and watched it religiously but after BBC and Eurosport lost the coverage I don't see it at all and only have a vague idea what's happening... I'm pretty sure Marquez won it but have no idea how the other protagonists got on... Suffice to say my interest has dropped off considerably. I watch more F1 despite it being deadly dull in comparison.

CMAC

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
bring back pro celebrity golf especially in winter- had me glued to my seat watching summer golf while my windows were frosted in the inside:eek: