Sports Personality of the Year

• Thread starter Deleted member 15344
  • Start date

Who should win

• Total voters

ger147

Tour Winner
Visit site
Would love to see Mercedes F1 get the team prize... If for no other reason to see how they would cope with 600+ bodies on the stage...

Can you imagine after another really long F1 season being told that you're not going on holiday after all as you need to go to Aberdeen?

Mutiny in the factory... :)

Rooter

Money List Winner
Visit site
Jonathan Rae, just wrapped up his 5th in a row world superbike championship. not even a mention. He came second in SPOTY on 2017, was not nominated last year and has not made the short list this year!?!

MegaSteve

Tour Winner
Visit site
Jonathan Rae, just wrapped up his 5th in a row world superbike championship. not even a mention. He came second in SPOTY on 2017, was not nominated last year and has not made the short list this year!?!

Sadly WSB has become a bit of a tumbleweed championship in recent times... My lad has attended several of the rounds in the last few years and he is, more or less, on first name terms with the handful of others that turn up...

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site
Guess it was too much to ask for people not to turn into another bitch fest about the BBC

Yes we know that the BBC don’t show the same level of sport as others - blah blah blah blah blah - it was the same last year and the year before and will be the same next year🙄 get past it.

The thread was started to discuss the merits of the sporting achievements and the nominees not about the broadcaster.

The sportsmen and women clearly don’t see it as a waste

Surely Phil , you of all people are not suggesting that I cant air my view about this nonsense program on this thread ?

D

Deleted member 15344

Surely Phil , you of all people are not suggesting that I cant air my view about this nonsense program on this thread ?

The thread wasn’t about the BBC or if you think it’s nonsense
Read the OP

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/live/sports-personality/50494490

It’s that time of the year again

Yes we all know it’s not really about the personality etc etc blah blah and it’s BBC blah blah

So who do you think will win when looking at just the sporting performances this year

For me it’s between two

Stokes or Asher Smith

It’s supposed to be about the relative merits of the the sporting achievements - not an excuse for another rant about the BBC

Hobbit

Mordorator
Visit site
Apart from the cricket WC and Solheim, nothing has really grabbed me this year. Stokes for the individual and Europe for the Solheim. Sorted. Just saved 2 hours of my life.

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site
The thread wasn’t about the BBC or if you think it’s nonsense
Read the OP

It’s supposed to be about the relative merits of the the sporting achievements - not an excuse for another rant about the BBC

Phil, I've seen you drag many a thread in different directions and NO I'm not going to waste time searching to prove it.

4LEX

Visit site
Hamilton for me. The way he rose from the ghetto of Stevenage, dodged a life of crime and had his 100k a year karting hobby funded by his IT engineer father is a true rags to riches story. Throw in the how he was hounded out of the UK and sought refuge in the first country he landed in.....the fact it happened to be a tax haven is a mere coincidence. He's also plant powered AND trying to save the planet......from the comfort of his private jet as he travels the world racing cars with 1000 horsepower engines.

Untouchable.

rksquire

Head Pro
Visit site
Peaty and Rea are massive misses from the list in my opinion.

Massive debate in NI this morning about how all the regions were represented with the exception of NI - the debate wasn't really about whether Rea should be included, rather how the panel is put together and representation. Also, number of nominees seems a bit contentious - think there was 16 a few years ago, now 6?

Anyway, regardless of sport popularity, both Peaty and Rea's achievement are on a par with the other nominees, arguably better. That said, Hamilton gets my vote (I don't like him, but it's a great achievement) but Peaty and Rea deserve at least recognition with a nomination.