Spoty 2016

gmc40

Head Pro
Visit site
I think it was quite clear I wasn't on about bookie odds and I'm sure you could clearly see that as well

You are a football fan - it's quite clear , you have said you have no knowledge of hockey

I'm a fan of both - the Leicester win was great but mainly for Leicester fans but it's done now and onto another season for non Leicester fans the impact will be minimal next to none

The GB ladies winning will impact every single hockey fan regardless of what club they support or play for - that tonight was the peak of 7 years of hard work since they started central contracts - winning the Olympics is the pinnacle in the sport - there is nothing above that and that pinnacle will be celebrated and remembered - there is something called Hockey family and it's something you don't see in football.

The impact of GB winning a bronze was increases in people playing the sport - this will further increase that and hockey will continue to flourish - it's finally starting to gain a spot on the telly schedule that it deserves.

So yes as a football you will praise Leicesters win as higher - me as a hockey and football fan see the result tonight as the bigger achievement

I'm a fan of both if you are. Leicester winning the prem was a bigger achievement. Leicester will win the team title.

The End

gmc40

Head Pro
Visit site
Leicester were 5000/1,if you said they were going to win the title before a ball was kicked you would have looked pretty silly.

Not sure where the women's hockey team were in the rankings before the Olympics,but unless they were 18th or lower I reckon Leicester is the biggest shock & bigger achievement.

Women were ranked 7th in the world. On that basis I agree Leicester is a bigger achievement. I know this because I am a fan of both just like Phil.

Pin-seeker

Visit site
Women were ranked 7th in the world. On that basis I agree Leicester is a bigger achievement. I know this because I am a fan of both just like Phil.

Won't that be England rather than GB?
Is there any Gareth Bales in the GB squad?

BesCumber

Assistant Pro
Visit site
The criteria for winning spoty team of the year is, i quote :

"For the team in an "individual" sport or sporting discipline that has achieved the most notable performance in the "calender" year to date. The team should have significant "UK" interest and/or involvement".

There words not mine.
So hopefully that should rule out the copout that is "team GB".
Not an individual sport, and anyway who would collect it??

Also it could be bad news for Leicester on 2 counts, we'll see.
Personally, if i had a vote, it would go to the cycling team, just as it did in 2008.
Tremendous achievement, with the added bonus of giving the finger to the naysayers abroad.

As for the main event.
If i can't have JK or LT, how about Jess Ennis-Hill ?
Her final games, as been placed 4 times, but somehow as never won.
Would be a nice thankyou imo.

D

Deleted member 16999

The criteria for winning spoty team of the year is, i quote :

"For the team in an "individual" sport or sporting discipline that has achieved the most notable performance in the "calender" year to date. The team should have significant "UK" interest and/or involvement".

There words not mine.
So hopefully that should rule out the copout that is "team GB".
Not an individual sport, and anyway who would collect it??

Also it could be bad news for Leicester on 2 counts, we'll see.
Personally, if i had a vote, it would go to the cycling team, just as it did in 2008.
Tremendous achievement, with the added bonus of giving the finger to the naysayers abroad.

As for the main event.
If i can't have JK or LT, how about Jess Ennis-Hill ?
Her final games, as been placed 4 times, but somehow as never won.
Would be a nice thankyou imo.
Same rules as in 2012 when they ignored them and gave it to Team GB.

gmc40

Head Pro
Visit site
Won't that be England rather than GB?
Is there any Gareth Bales in the GB squad?

Ah yeah sorry. If that's the case then they've had the pick of the best from the home nations so it makes Leicester winning the Prem an even bigger achievement.

Dunno about a hockey version of Bale? Ask Phil, he may know as he's been a fan of both (since Tuesday).

Papas1982

Tour Winner
Banned
Visit site
Ah yeah sorry. If that's the case then they've had the pick of the best from the home nations so it makes Leicester winning the Prem an even bigger achievement.

Dunno about a hockey version of Bale? Ask Phil, he may know as he's been a fan of both (since Tuesday)

Whilst we're both on same page re Leicester having the bigger upset.

Think may need to reign back on Phil, pretty sure his other half is quite involved in Hockey and has frequently commented on the sport long before the Olympics.

And i presume that Mahrez, Schmeichel, Schlupp, Morgan et all Have english passports..............

Pin-seeker

Visit site

Dunno about a hockey version of Bale? Ask Phil, he may know as he's been a fan of both (since Tuesday).

Tbf Phil is really into his hockey.

But as good as the girls winning gold is,unless you're a hockey fan does it stand out above the other golds?

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Bes, you can have JK or LT. Jess Ennis can't get it for a silver when so many others have won gold. It just wouldn't make sense. Looking over her career I don't think she will worry too much about missing out on this award. He medals mean everything, SPOTY is worth diddly.

gmc40

Head Pro
Visit site
Tbf Phil is really into his hockey.

But as good as the girls winning gold is,unless you're a hockey fan does it stand out above the other golds?

Fair enough, just joking. As great as the women winning is (and I do think it's a great achievement) I feel Leicester winning the prem is probably the biggest underdog story in football (definitely in my lifetime). I'm not knocking the hockey team but underdogs such as Leicester who were almost relegated the year before winning the league over a full season as opposed to a good team winning knockout tournament tops it for me.

Pin-seeker

Visit site
Bes, you can have JK or LT. Jess Ennis can't get it for a silver when so many others have won gold. It just wouldn't make sense. Looking over her career I don't think she will worry too much about missing out on this award. He medals mean everything, SPOTY is worth diddly.

Spot on,I can't see anyone losing any sleep over not winning SPOTY.

BesCumber

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Same rules as in 2012 when they ignored them and gave it to Team GB.

Still a cop-out imo. :whistle:

I no LT, and JK will get me vote.
I just think JEH is one that got away, and lets not forget, she is still the reigning world champ.
But as you say, i bet she's not that bothered.:thup:

D

Deleted member 15344

Just to stop your cheap digs at me in regards Hockey - I played it for 20 years at one stage playing in the national league , I'm not a qualified coach to level 3 and a national league umpire. My wife had played in the top Divsion or one below for the past 7 years with two of her teammates involved in the 31 person squad ( both travelling reserves ) and her sister went to the Commonwealth twice

I was also lucky enough to help out at the 2012 Games

So hopefully that know means you can stop with the little digs

Tongo

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Just to stop your cheap digs at me in regards Hockey - I played it for 20 years at one stage playing in the national league , I'm not a qualified coach to level 3 and a national league umpire. My wife had played in the top Divsion or one below for the past 7 years with two of her teammates involved in the 31 person squad ( both travelling reserves ) and her sister went to the Commonwealth twice

I can see arguments for both teams.

Hockey still seems to have the old "jolly hockey-sticks" reputation with too many in this country though so the GB women's achievement perhaps wont get the praise it deserves.

Fair play for clarifying your Hockey involvement Phil. Out of interest, is the women's Hoofdklaase professional in the same way as the mens? Cos at best the GB women could probably only be described as semi-professional. Something to take into account when comparing with Leicester?

gmc40

Head Pro
Visit site

Already stopped, see post above. Given what you have said I think your bias is showing (I know you're also a football fan) and explains why you think the Hockey team are the more worthy recipients. I'm a fan of neither but appreciate what both teams have done and still think the Leicester premier league title win is the bigger achievement and more worthy of the team prize.

gmc40

Head Pro
Visit site
For what it's worth I think if there is a team from the Olympics winning it will be the whole of team GB and they won't single out the Hockey or Cycling team.

Hacker Khan

Yurt Dwelling, Yoghurt Knitter
Visit site
Looking on the bright side at least we have a great choice of winners to chose from. Some of us remember Greg Rudeski, a Canadian, wining it for getting to a grand slam final once or something like that.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
I'd go for Max Whitlock. A pretty cool young lad - double gold medalist into the bargain. Kids all start basic gymnastics in school PE and so it is totally accessible and basically no cost - lads like Max and sports like gymnastics are what we need youngsters to get into, and he is a perfect role model.

larmen

Head Pro
Visit site
Picking this back up after Andy Murray turned world number 1.
Jess Ennis-Hill has retired from professional sport.

Does it make spoty easier or harder now?