Spoty 2016

Val

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Fantastic kicking in the Oz Tour and a great contribution to the Grand Slam. England RU should deffo get the team event.

No doubt but he's a 10 for Sarries but doesn't get the 10 jersey for England. Good kicker I'll give you but not the 10 George Ford is.

Team of the year will either be Team GB or Leicester

D

Deleted member 15344

Fantastic kicking in the Oz Tour and a great contribution to the Grand Slam. England RU should deffo get the team event.

There will be a number of teams in the running for Team - Leicester I expect are currently favourites , Team GB will prob be in there , maybe Europe RC team dependant on result but very much doubt England Rugby would be there. Just like I doubt Farrell would be anywhere near the individual result just for kicking

larmen

Head Pro
Visit site
With all the Olympic athletes doing so well I would be surprised if it didn't go to Lewis Hamilton :D

Please don't give the team one to Team GB again. If not every member of the team can name all the others, it isn't a real team. Leicester are the obvious choice.

SocketRocket

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
There will be a number of teams in the running for Team - Leicester I expect are currently favourites , Team GB will prob be in there , maybe Europe RC team dependant on result but very much doubt England Rugby would be there. Just like I doubt Farrell would be anywhere near the individual result just for kicking

You are welcome to your preference. I was simply stating mine, I guess thats the way this works?

D

Deleted Member 1156

Way too early to be thinking about this, lots of performances could change things such as Hamilton winning the F1 title again for example.

Hacker Khan

Yurt Dwelling, Yoghurt Knitter
Visit site
Way too early to be thinking about this, lots of performances could change things such as Hamilton winning the F1 title again for example.

I'd say no chance with Hamilton. He wasn't even top in spoty 3 last year when he won the F1 championship plus I'd argue a lot of the non F1 nuts just think it's mostly the car and he only has 1 genuine person he has to beat. Also not sure what else there is this year that might overshadow in sporting terms the Olympics in the minds of the public who vote.

Kellfire

Blackballed
Visit site
The only shoo-in is that people will keep saying shoe in instead of shoo-in!

IT'S NOTHING TO DO WITH SHOES!

ps. Andy Murray.

Tongo

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Murray has the advantage that there is still the US Open and the Davis Cup where he can add to his success this year.

Froome's achievements are stunning and i dont think he has had the praise that they have deserved.

For team of the year, GB's women's Hockey team would surely be in with a shout if they win gold.

IanG

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Team of the year should probably be Leicester, but I think it will be forgotten by the time the SPOTY comes around.

My vote would be for Mo Farrah for the main event.

Nicola Adams anyone if she wins gold again ??

D

Deleted Member 1156

I'd say no chance with Hamilton. He wasn't even top in spoty 3 last year when he won the F1 championship plus I'd argue a lot of the non F1 nuts just think it's mostly the car and he only has 1 genuine person he has to beat. Also not sure what else there is this year that might overshadow in sporting terms the Olympics in the minds of the public who vote.

Hamilton was just one example. It's only August, loads more sport still to come this year. Tyson Fury and Anthony Joshua both have fights lined up, the England cricket side has a tour of India later in the year so maybe someone like Cook will stake a claim for SPOTY, the Ryder Cup still to come.

I won't even think about this for at least another couple of months.

Hacker Khan

Yurt Dwelling, Yoghurt Knitter
Visit site
Hamilton was just one example. It's only August, loads more sport still to come this year. Tyson Fury and Anthony Joshua both have fights lined up, the England cricket side has a tour of India later in the year so maybe someone like Cook will stake a claim for SPOTY, the Ryder Cup still to come.

I won't even think about this for at least another couple of months.

I'll bet you a virtual pint that the top 3 are made up of Olympians and Hamilton aside, the people you mentioned don't even get in on the 10 to chose from.

D

Deleted Member 1156

I'll bet you a virtual pint that the top 3 are made up of Olympians and Hamilton aside, the people you mentioned don't even get in on the 10 to chose from.

Get your arse to a forum meet and we can make it a real pint? :D

U

User62651

Team has to be Leicester, immensely popular result that went round the world, track cycling just doesn't generate much public interest, we only get remotely interested every 4 years when there are medals to be had so I just cant see them getting enough votes.
Individual - Murray looks best bet, Wimbledon is still such a huge thing in the British psyche and again watched by millions. Others are equally deserving but in less popular sports, Murray does look a good bet. Ennis-Hill would have had a shout with gold as our pin up girl, but silver wont do it. Agree Hamilton won't get it this time.

Spear-Chucker

Tour Rookie
Visit site
I reckon the awards should be dominated by the Olympics as it's such a unifying event. If she can retain her gold, Nicola Adams would have my vote: a tremendous, classy and highly skilled boxer who has grafted away for years. Always gives time up for others and has personality in abundance.

British cycling for the team event reflecting playing the long game of growth and development=reward and finally Bolt for the overseas award. His achievements and the ease at which he appears to accomplish them are just staggering.

Pipe dreams: it will be some lucky footballing nonsense (won in the event of no other team remembering how to kick a ball at the big net thingy), a dull tennis player with the social skills of gravel or that bejeweled ballast sat in a Mercedes.

D

Deleted member 15344

Team has to be Leicester, immensely popular result that went round the world, track cycling just doesn't generate much public interest, we only get remotely interested every 4 years when there are medals to be had so I just cant see them getting enough votes.
Individual - Murray looks best bet, Wimbledon is still such a huge thing in the British psyche and again watched by millions. Others are equally deserving but in less popular sports, Murray does look a good bet. Ennis-Hill would have had a shout with gold as our pin up girl, but silver wont do it. Agree Hamilton won't get it this time.

The Team of the Year isn't a vote as far as I remember