Spoty 2016

Hacker Khan

Yurt Dwelling, Yoghurt Knitter
Visit site
OK, let's get it out of the way before we begin. Yes Andy Murray does not have a great TV 'personality' so if we were voting on purely a sports person with a 'personality' he should not win. It's a rubbish name for the award, we all know what.

And yes the BBC do not have the rights to show much sport live. So can we just get over that and accept that the award will be voted on based on the best individual sporting achievement that resonates with the great British public.

So who will win it this year? Will it be: -

1) Jason Kenny, joint greatest GB Olympian in terms of golf medals who then, after he has achieved this immense feat, packs his stuff away, not in a branded sports holdall provided by his sponsors, but in a supermarket bag for life. Chap.
2) Laura Trott. Most successful female British Olympian ever. Proved she can master many cycling events by smashing it in the omnium, the rest of the field knew they were competing for second place very early on.
3) Alistair Brownlee, retained his gold in the triathlon, a brutal sport, so easily he had time to slow down, pick up some flags, wave to the crown and could have probably updated posted a picture on Instagram if he would have wanted to, before crossing the finish line way ahead of anyone else.
4) Andy Murray - Wimbledon champion and Olympic gold winner, he really wanted it.
5) Mo Farrah - At the time of posting he has not completed this, but he could retain both the 5 and 10 thousand meter titles at successive Olympics. Immense achievement.
6) Adam Peaty - Absolutely owned the event, broke world records for fun, best male GB swimmer for decades.
7) Chris Froome - TDF winner for the 3rd time. A brit who is dominating one of the most brutal sporting endurance events there has ever been.
8) Wayne Rooney - Despite being paid more in a week than most people will earn in 5 or so years, captain of the England football team who
managed to under-perform against our increasingly lower and lower expectations. Could not even motivate the England national team to beat Iceland who consisted of a bunch of part time fishermen, Bjork and 2 members of Sigur Ros who fancied a kick about after a sound check.

Anyone else I've missed? And I've kind of ignored Justin Rose as although many within the golfing community were pleaded to see him win and he did get right behind the Olympics, got a feeling the general voting public don't really give a toss about golfers. Cue inevitable rant about the BBC not showing the Open blah blah blah...

Last edited:

BrianM

Head Pro
Visit site
Lots of excellent athletes there, really tough decision.
Im going for Alistair Brownlee, superb performance today and first man to retain his gold at Triathlon.
You could argue all day on this one 😬😂😂😂

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
The current betting is roughly:

Evens Murray
4/1 Farah
12/1 Trott
12/1 Kenny
16/1 Whitlock
18/1 Bale
50/1 bar

Murray would be a very deserving winner winning Wimbledon and the Olympics, not sure Farah gets the vote (he didnt in 2012), cyclists likely to split the vote

Hacker Khan

Yurt Dwelling, Yoghurt Knitter
Visit site
The current betting is roughly:

Evens Murray
4/1 Farah
12/1 Trott
12/1 Kenny
16/1 Whitlock
18/1 Bale
50/1 bar

Murray would be a very deserving winner winning Wimbledon and the Olympics, not sure Farah gets the vote (he didnt in 2012), cyclists likely to split the vote

Whitlock!!! How could I have forgotten him, 2 gold medals in what, the space of an hour? In a sport which, if you would have told me we would be medaling in when I was growing up, I would have said you were mental. Superb skills, power and control.

Not sure about Murray as he has won it twice already hasn't he?