Sports Personality Of the Year

• Thread starter Deleted member 15344
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 15344

Rory should win it but not sure he will, Hamilton or Froch have good shouts.

Charlotte Dujardin? Dressage? A sport? Not in my eyes I'm afraid, jog on (or should that trot).

It's as much a sport as motor racing and is classed as a sport

She has just won sportswoman of the year for Sky and has had a superb year.

Wildrover

Tour Rookie
Visit site
I'm not saying it's not skilful, in the same way training animals in a circus is skilful, but to be an Olympic sport is a joke, we might as well vote for Anton and Ola if strictly come horse dancing is a sport.

D

Deleted member 15344

I'm not saying it's not skilful, in the same way training animals in a circus is skilful, but to be an Olympic sport is a joke, we might as well vote for Anton and Ola if strictly come horse dancing is a sport.

And dancing for some is classed as a sport - dressage is a sport it's classed as a sport and it was great to watch during the Olympics - thankfully it's great we have such a wide range to cover for everyone's taste

road2ruin

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
Prices at present:

Rory McIlroy 1/3
Lewis Hamilton 9/4
Gareth Bale 25/1
Jo Pavey 33/1
Carl Froch 66/1
Charlotte Dujardin 80/1
Max Whitlock 100/1
Lizzy Yarnold 100/1
Kelly Gallagher 100/1
Adam Peaty 150/1

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site

I'd vote for Anton and Erin, Vincent and Flavia as well. As valid as dressage. A passtime or a hobby but not a sport

D

Deleted member 15344

I'd vote for Anton and Erin, Vincent and Flavia as well. As valid as dressage. A passtime or a hobby but not a sport

It's as much a sport as golf

Here is the definition of Sport

an activity involving physical exertion and skill in which an individual or team competes against another or others for entertainment.

Dressage meets that definition as does golf

Wildrover

Tour Rookie
Visit site
I can see how the horse exerts itself, but the rider?

My definition of a sport is anything that doesn't rely on a judge's interpretation for the outcome. Fastest, highest, most points, fewest shots etc. Anything that relies on a judge's opinion is at best flawed as a sport. This includes ice skating, gymnastics, diving etc which are all very skilfull and require fitness and hours of training (like circus acrobats or ballroom dancers) but imho are not sports. With that in mind when it comes to 3 day eventing I have no problem with the show jumping or cross country elements as they are determined by the fastest with fewest penalties, dressage however......

D

Deleted member 15344

Boxing not a sport ? Wrestling ? Martial arts ?

All rely on judges

The thing is I can't see your definition of sport but I can find the one the Olympics use

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
All opinion. Those ones you mention are in the "exception to the rule" category. You know, the get out clause :thup:

I am a traditionalist and there are too many mickey mouse sports involved there now, BMX is one I struggle with for example. Rythmic gymnastics, really? Synchronised swimming, Dressage. Probably others if I looked at a list of events but those are ones that spring to mind.

D

Deleted member 15344

It's opinion based in guidelines set out by governing bodies and used by Olympics

Dan2501

Tour Winner
Visit site
Froch is a weird one. What's he actually done this year? Started the year attempting to duck the George Groves re-match desperately trying to get a big payout in America. When that failed, and Groves continued to bait him, he gave in and accepted. Sure, he went on to win, but it wasn't a particularly masterful display of boxing, he just landed a big punch and he's not had a fight since, and that was over 6 months ago. Shouldn't be anywhere near contending for this. Shame Conor McGregor isn't eligible, he's the best fighter in the UK and Ireland right now, and the biggest draw.