Ryder Cup Team

didsbury_duffer

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
I know it's a long way off yet, but what do you all think of the current qualifiers? My opinions are as follows:

Westwood, McIlroy, McDowell, Donald, Poulter and Kaymer were all shoe-ins imo.
Jimenez will add some experience, but he does tend to blow hot and cold at times.
Not too sure about Molinari F or McGowan.

As for the picks, I reckon Garcia is definitely struggling on current form - his putting continues to be atrocious for a tour player. Fisher seems to have gone backwards this year - never recovered from bottling it at last year's Open. Harrington will probably be one of the picks, although he is also having a crap year after tinkering with a swing that won him 3 majors?? I reckon the other 2 picks will be Rose and Casey.

brendy

Global Moderator
Visit site
Poulter isnt doing that well (money earned only tells half a story), Sergios last couple of results were better than Ian Poulters, however Poulter has earned more money this year, even though he finished 60th at the Open and Sergio was 14th or something.

Dodger

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
Surely Harrington can't be picked,they guy is chopping it worse than me and hitting it sideways off the tee which would not be great for foursome golf or any golf for that matter.

Hopefully McGowan will drop out as he is the weakest link at the moment.

D

Deleted member 1147

Based on recent form you'd have to go with Rose. In a 4BBB the way he can putt at times he'd be lethal especially if partnered with a steady Eddie like Donald.

How about the other Molinari as an outside bet. Partner the two brothers and you could get fireworks.

bernix

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
What about Stenson. He finished high in The Open which might be a hint that his recent struggles may come to an end

Robobum

Money List Winner
Visit site
Surely Harrington can't be picked,they guy is chopping it worse than me and hitting it sideways off the tee which would not be great for foursome golf or any golf for that matter.

Hopefully McGowan will drop out as he is the weakest link at the moment.

Love him or loathe him, I think one good thing about Monty being in charge is that he won't pick on sentiment. He'll go with the form horses I reckon.

That'll mean no place for Harrington unless he has some miraculous turn round in form at the end of the season.

McGowan had a hot streak to get into that position but has been slowly reversing out since, I don't think (and hope) he'll be there at the end.

Westwood
Mcilroy
McDowell
Donald
Poulter
Kaymer
Jimenez.....I like the look of them

Molinari??? Not sure, think he might be a bit flakey to hold up under that sort of pressure.

Picks if they don't get in automatically (from):

Casey
Rose
Karllson
Peter Hanson
Stenson

D

Deleted member 1418

Have to say that on current form, Sergio and Harrington cannot possibly be included. The Molinari's won the World Cup last year so are obviously a good team, so if only 1 brother makes it automatically then the other could be a good wildcard choice.

Agree that McGowan is the weakest link at the moment and will hopefully (sorry!) drop out of the automatic spots. If Rhys Davies continues his good form and is close to the top 10, then I think he would be worth a risk as his putting is tip top (being Welsh shouldn't even come into it). Would definitely go for Casey as well.

funkyfred

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Agree that we cant have Harrington or Garcia, in fact Garcia was poor 2 years ago. Both the Molinari's, Fisher, Karlson and Stenson are above Jimenez in the world rankings and Mcgowan is ranked 90 so I agree that he could be the weak link.

Would any one take a gamble on Alvaro Quiros?

Dont understand the problem people have with Casey, number 8 in the world!! a definate in my team.

D

Deleted member 1418

Mcilroy
Westwood
Stenson
Donald
Casey
Molinari
Molinari
Garcia
Jiminez
Poulter
Fisher
Kaymer

Think that team would hold its own...

Agreed, it would, but I don't think McDowell will be too happy about being omitted seeing as he's qualified :) :) :)

Screwback

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Mcilroy
Westwood
Stenson
Donald
Casey
Molinari
Molinari
Garcia
Jiminez
Poulter
Fisher
Kaymer

Think that team would hold its own...

Agreed, it would, but I don't think McDowell will be too happy about being omitted seeing as he's qualified :) :) :)

That would be my team and "G-Mac" wether he has qualified or not would not be in it.

D

Deleted member 1418

Granted - Jimenez is the only one I have doubts about! Always seems to qualify really well, then doesn't really do anything during the actual competition itself.

T

thecraw

Harrington will be there, he's our Monty or Langer of the team.

Spinn77

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Either way, it's going to be a very, very strong team. Some seriously good players are going to miss out this time, we are debating leaving out Harrington and Garcia - this would have been unheard of just two years ago.

We could enter the best ryder cup team, for either side, of all time this year

funkyfred

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Harrington will be there, he's our Monty or Langer of the team.

Cant say that I agree with you on that one.

Harrington record is W7 H3 L11 = 8 1/2 pts...40.5%

Montgomerie record is W20 H7 L9 = 23 1/2 pts..65.3%