Ryder Cup _ Who could do it_Unsung heros?

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
Not to detract from the other post/s and just for kicks

I've already 'outed' myself as a naysayer and predicting doom and gloom for Europe's chances this time round so I thought I'd ask who might (hopefully) prove me wrong

Here is the US team as it stands (just based on rankings)

1. Dustin Johnson
2. Jordan Spieth
3. Phi Mickelson
4. Jimmy Walker
5. Brooks Koepka
6. Zach Johnson
7. J.B. Holmes
8. Brandt Snedeker
9. Bubba Watson
10. Patrick Reed
11. Matt Kuchar
12. Rickie Fowler

Here the cream of team Europe (again on rankings)

Henrik Stenson
Rory McIlroy
Danny Willett
Chris Wood
Sergio Garcia

I'd happily put money on Stenson taking on any of the US team & getting a result and Garcia doing the same against the bulk

However I wouldn't put pocket change on either Willett, Wood or McIlroy reaching the 17th hole against 80% of their team in matchplay (either because its too close to call for a money bet or I fear they have little chance)

Am I wrong or will we need the guys outside Europe's 'elite' to really make the difference this time if we're to have any chance?

This is just for fun & opinions so toys to remain firmly in prams please

Last edited:

Wabinez

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I have said it for about a year or so now...we will get beaten this year. I am happy to be proved wrong, but I just don't think we'll do it. If it was at home, with a number of rookies, then maybe...but going to America for it? Don't think it'll happen

Tongo

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Johansson v Love in 1997.
Rocca v Woods in 1997.
Phil Price v Phil Mick in 2002.
Paul Lawrie v Brandt Snedeker in 2012.
Jamie Donaldson v Keegan Bradley in 2014.

Nuff said.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
I have to say I'm with the OP on this one. Not only do the US look stronger but they will want to right the wrongs from Medinah and will be so fired up. I fear this could be virtually done and dusted before the singles. I think the European team is in transition and will take this one and maybe the next one before the next crop have the experience in RC and in world events and majors. Hope I'm way off but fear not

Doh

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
One thing you can be sure of is that Darren Clarke will leave no stone unturned in his preparation for this. He has in his vice captains a wealth of experience and knowledge that the USA will find it difficult to match IMO.
I agree at the end of the day it's about how the players perform at the time but the motivation to succeed will not be lacking.

Norrin Radd

Tour Winner
Visit site
i cant see it being a rout but i think the yanks will scrape home this time around ,they have a really strong looking side and as already said europe are in a transition phase with so many rookies in the side ,its going to be a big ask for them to pull off a win for us.
Westwood will definitely be getting a pick and Kaymer also i imagine is a shoe in .the third pick is a harder one with the likes of Lowry and now Knox pushing for a place.
to be honest any player in the owgr top 50 that is eligible to play for europe is capable of beating any of the yanks on their day ,,its going to be form horses that will win it this time ,and that go`s for both teams .

TonyN

Money List Winner
Visit site
I have to agree with the naysayers, I do think we are underdogs this time around. But that's not necessarily a bad thing. Might take the pressure off.

If I were making the picks, experience wouldn't even come into it. It would be form every time. Some really good players being written off because they've not been before, or need experience. So why not put them in now? what have we got to lose? If we do lose, at least they'll have the experience for 2018.

D

Deleted member 15344

As we have seen over the decades the relative strength of single players are thrown out of the window when it comes to the RC

Plenty of times we have seen what looks like on paper far superior US teams getting a stuffing from European teams who struggled to get players in the Top 20 let alone top 10

The European team have a great team spirit and unity and gel when it comes down to the nitty gritty. Single players become teammates and work together - they gel with personalities and every single captain regardless of what they did in their career as a player works out every single little detail

DC will already have his partnerships worked out - players will have practice rounds with each other months before the event - even down to the ball they may use.

The US team have some wonderful golfers who play very well on the US tour - but they also have a lot of single minded people who struggle to gel as a team - in the past they just threw players together and expected them to gel - the Woods/Mickleson partnership a perfect example. Davis Love managed to get a few partnerships working last time and I believe he will be the best prepared captain but picking people like Woods as a VC ? He has such a prickly relationship with lots of players it's no surprise his record in the RC ( apart from singles ) isn't great.

For Europe players like Stenson and Rose will come through - same with Garcia but don't be surprised when someone like Wood has a cracking RC and forms a partnership with another rookie like Sullivan.

I think this is going to be a close one - very close and will come down to the last 4 singles matches and think it will be either a draw or a one point win for Europe

Gopher

Club Champion
Visit site
Matthew Fitzpatrick - I'd love to see him make the team. He has maturity beyond his years, could be an unsung hero this year and a regular Ryder Cupper for many years.

Hobbit

Mordorator
Visit site
A big win for the Americans. There's no Woods factor making the other Americans feel inferior. Many of them have well and truly cut their teeth on the tour now, including multiple winners.

Europe's team is probably one of the weakest I can remember, with several key players looking a little frail or missing this year and the rookies looking like it might be a bit early for them.

If its close after 3 sessions, it'll be tight but I can see the Americans running away with this one.

#pleasebewrong!

Tongo

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
A big win for the Americans. There's no Woods factor making the other Americans feel inferior. Many of them have well and truly cut their teeth on the tour now, including multiple winners.

Europe's team is probably one of the weakest I can remember, with several key players looking a little frail or missing this year and the rookies looking like it might be a bit early for them.

If its close after 3 sessions, it'll be tight but I can see the Americans running away with this one.

#pleasebewrong!

He didn't play 2 years ago and it didn't make a difference. And, as someone has already pointed out, he's one of the VC's so his presence will still be there!

Tongo

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Also, with the exception of Patrick Reed, much of that American team have mediocre records in the RC. Yes, they have experience, but it is the experience of losing regularly!

Curls

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I must be crazy cos I think Europe will do them again. No disrespect to the American team, which on paper looks strong, but in matchplay they never seem to engage in the same way the Europeans do. Look at the very much in-form pairing of Fowler and Walker last time out, they got handed their asses time after time and only scraped a half against a poorer pairing. This year the Yanks scraped a victory against the Rest of the world team in the Presidents, its traditionally a drumming. Accepted the Internationals have some great players but when put to the sword I think you’ll find many of the Europeans will dig deep and make birdies.

Tested foursome/fourball pairings like Stenson-Rose, Westwood-Garcia (should he be a pick) and Rory –anyone half decent would be a match for any of their teams imo. Putting is a different game when you make it or don’t and while the likes of Garcia, Westwood and Rory are not the names you’d put on the top of any putting list (indeed Rose and Stenson are streaky) when it comes to matchplay they ram in 20 footers for fun, because there’s little consequence in missing. Plus theyre so strong tee to green they can win the hole before the putter comes out. Experience does count, and yes form is important but they’re not trudging around 72 holes where a double ends their tournament, its man against man time and I’d put stock in the old hands knowing what needs to be done.

As for the “rookies”, look into the cold dead eyes of Danny Willett on the first tee and you won’t see someone struggling to find form, you’ll see a green jacket who wants to bury you. For all their form half the Yanks didn’t turn up at all last time out. I don’t think it’ll be the same this time, the crowd will be intense, but only some of those guys feed off that and others will crumble when faced with the team who knows how to win.

Hobbit

Mordorator
Visit site
He didn't play 2 years ago and it didn't make a difference. And, as someone has already pointed out, he's one of the VC's so his presence will still be there!

He didn't play 2 years ago, and some of the Americans still had the Woods inferiority hangover. They've matured further since then.

But thanks for correcting me:rolleyes:

D

Deleted member 15344

#pleasebewrong!

Think the Woods factor is a very good point

The only time they have won in the last two decades was when Woods was nowhere near the team and Big Phil led the team

That's why I was surprised he was announced as a VC very early - will that have an affect on the players still ?

Garush34

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I have to agree, I think that the US is likely to come out on top. But I think it will be very close still. Will be interesting to see who Davis pairs Brooks up with. If Rickie makes the team that could be a nice wee pairing to watch but so would Brooks and Jimmy or Brooks and Jordan. Either way it will be great viewing.

Dan2501

Tour Winner
Visit site
Think the Woods factor is a very good point

The only time they have won in the last two decades was when Woods was nowhere near the team and Big Phil led the team

That's why I was surprised he was announced as a VC very early - will that have an affect on the players still ?

Any excuse to drop in a dig at Tiger. Never change Phil.

USA look a lot stronger on paper, and I do think it will be their year, but it's not going to be easy for them. Europe will be well prepared, have a strong team ethic and be ready for a fight. Should be a really good Ryder Cup this year!

D

Deleted member 15344

Any excuse to drop in a dig at Tiger. Never change Phil.

USA look a lot stronger on paper, and I do think it will be their year, but it's not going to be easy for them. Europe will be well prepared, have a strong team ethic and be ready for a fight. Should be a really good Ryder Cup this year!

Whats the problem this time ?!

The US did last win the RC when Woods wasn't playing or involved

Is that really a dig ?!

HankMarvin

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Agree with what most folk say about the USA winning this year. European team is probably the weakest side we have had for many a year, would love to be proved wrong but somehow can't see it. So all I can say is use this year to throw in as many rookies so they get a bit of experience for the next one, which is why its best to leave Westwood out as he has no future in the competition. At least DC will give it his best & it won't be as much as a farce as when Faldo was captain, he was by far the worst captain in the history of the RC