Random Irritations

GreiginFife

Money List Winner
Visit site
My question was mainly rhetorical. I know exactly what they are mean to be and they are probably the most misused 'medical' aid at the moment. I am not including medical support dogs that warn of fits, etc and those other types of dogs that can assist with dressing, opening doors, etc in this subject, they are worthy and do a great job. I suspect most people do not need an emotional support dog.
I suspect you have never met or encountered someone blighted by crippling (and I mean crippling) anxiety disorder.

I have a close friend who’s daughter suffered a traumatic event that gave her anxiety that would literally cripple her ability to move (this is not hyperbole). She now had an amazing dog called Jasper that sits by her in an episode and has made an amazing impact on the effects of these episodes. It is a slow process but in just one year she is able to go out of the house more regularly than she has in the past 6 years since the incident.

Neilds

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I suspect you have never met or encountered someone blighted by crippling (and I mean crippling) anxiety disorder.

I have a close friend who’s daughter suffered a traumatic event that gave her anxiety that would literally cripple her ability to move (this is not hyperbole). She now had an amazing dog called Jasper that sits by her in an episode and has made an amazing impact on the effects of these episodes. It is a slow process but in just one year she is able to go out of the house more regularly than she has in the past 6 years since the incident.
I'm sure there are people who need the dogs, I am saying that I feel that a lot (the majority?) don't - opinion not fact. As with all subjects like this (think benefit fraud), people can always find examples to prove the argument one way or the other so no one is ever 100% right.

Golfloveruk

Visit site
I'm sure there are people who need the dogs, I am saying that I feel that a lot (the majority?) don't - opinion not fact. As with all subjects like this (think benefit fraud), people can always find examples to prove the argument one way or the other so no one is ever 100% right.
Right, so you are just being mean. Nasty benefit cheats getting a free dog.

GreiginFife

Money List Winner
Visit site
I do think it’s a sad edict on our current societal way of thinking that the first place many people go is to look for the abuse of a system.

You are right, its difficult to prove either way. I prefer to give benefit of doubt rather than just doubt, makes my life a much more optimistic place. But wash to their own.

Neilds

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I do think it’s a sad edict on our current societal way of thinking that the first place many people go is to look for the abuse of a system.

You are right, its difficult to prove either way. I prefer to give benefit of doubt rather than just doubt, makes my life a much more optimistic place. But wash to their own.
This is probably due to life experiences - you know someone who needs a dog, I don't. My views may be partially formed due to the fact my wife works in benefits and has seen many instances from the other side - and we also have a family member who is playing the system to their advantage.

GreiginFife

Money List Winner
Visit site
This is probably due to life experiences - you know someone who needs a dog, I don't. My views may be partially formed due to the fact my wife works in benefits and has seen many instances from the other side - and we also have a family member who is playing the system to their advantage.
You said majority, which indicates that using the experiences you have and with your wife working directly in benefits that you believe more people are abusing the system than are not.

What level of majority abuse do you believe there is, as a rough percentage?.

Fade and Die

Medal Winner
Visit site
Someone brought one in this morning thinking that it was normal practice to bring pets to funerals. They were shocked when informed that unless it’s a guide/service dog its not coming in my chapel
Annoys the hell out of me when I visit my mums grave and some idiot has a dog over there, despite the very clear "No Dogs" sign. Just leave it in the car while you are tending your loved ones grave, the dog is only going to want to sniff and pee up everything! :mad:

GB72

Money List Winner
Visit site
Someone brought one in this morning thinking that it was normal practice to bring pets to funerals. They were shocked when informed that unless it’s a guide/service dog its not coming in my chapel

I think that this is the bigger irritation to me in that there is now a feeling of entitlement that pets, normally dogs, are allowed everywhere and that is irrespective of whether the animal in question is suited to the place it is being taken. Pubs, restaurants etc are not assumed to be places where you can take any dog. In my local we have seen massive dogs that get in the way of staff and knock people over, we have dogs that bark at people they do not know, we have dogs that run around the place and will not sit still etc.

Now, do not get me wrong, I am a dog lover and do not have a general objection to dogs in various venues but, firstly, it is only polite to check in advance and not assume as now seems to be the case. Also, know if your dog is suited to a busy place full of strangers etc and also be aware that some people do not like dogs and be prepared to move away from busy areas if that is the case.

Neilds

Assistant Pro
Visit site
You said majority, which indicates that using the experiences you have and with your wife working directly in benefits that you believe more people are abusing the system than are not.

What level of majority abuse do you believe there is, as a rough percentage?.
Your question needs to be in the ‘unanswerable thread’

Neilds

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I think that this is the bigger irritation to me in that there is now a feeling of entitlement that pets, normally dogs, are allowed everywhere and that is irrespective of whether the animal in question is suited to the place it is being taken. Pubs, restaurants etc are not assumed to be places where you can take any dog. In my local we have seen massive dogs that get in the way of staff and knock people over, we have dogs that bark at people they do not know, we have dogs that run around the place and will not sit still etc.

Now, do not get me wrong, I am a dog lover and do not have a general objection to dogs in various venues but, firstly, it is only polite to check in advance and not assume as now seems to be the case. Also, know if your dog is suited to a busy place full of strangers etc and also be aware that some people do not like dogs and be prepared to move away from busy areas if that is the case.
I think this is why some people claim their pet is an assistance dog so they can take it where they like . Makes it easier for them

GB72

Money List Winner
Visit site
I think this is why some people claim their pet is an assistance dog so they can take it where they like . Makes it easier for them

Not round my way, never had that claim. People just turn up with their dogs on the assumption that will be fine and it then makes it very awkward to turn them away. Also, it is not so much dogs being there, it is more that some dogs do not have the temperament to be in places like a busy pub

Robster59

Tour Rookie
www.eastrengolfclub.co.uk
As you say, opinion not fact. Not all disabilities or visible and if some people need an emotional support dog what's the issue? As @GreiginFife said, I can only assume you have never seen somebody who has found great benefit from one of these and instead use a generic statement based on a viewpoint which has no basis in fact (which you have admitted but maybe you should think first).

Neilds

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Tax fraud is a higher cost than benefit fraud I believe.
Benefit fraud may be the wrong term. In many cases, which I can quote as fact, the claimants are allowed to claim because the system allows them to but this sometimes means they are being paid for a service they get for free. This could be claiming mobility allowance/free car and then getting free transport provided to get to school or hospital. In these cases, what is the mobility payment meant to be for, if not to provide costs towards transport.
The other example is where a person can claim disability/personal independence allowance to pay for extra costs towards their own care as they can't care for themselves properly (totally right) but then also clam carers allowance to look after a partner or family member - who will also get a disability allowance. The benefits budget is enough to look after everyone, but some of it is going to the wrong people and these people are spoiling it for the rest and giving proper claimants a bad reputation (and I fall into this judgemental field as well)

Tashyboy

Please don’t ask to see my tatts 👍
Visit site
So am sat at daughters house for half an hour this morning with Layla Tash doing some spellings before we go into skool. Missis T opens her diary and it comes across shapes and the words for it. I said to Layla, “ how do you spell triangle”. “TRY”. Nope so I went onto mention TRi means three and spelt out Triangle. missis T says your wrong. We had a 30 second disagreement and she showed me Laylas Book.
TRAINGLE. 😳
Ave seen Laylas teacher and told her am getting the Governers involved. 😁👍 4 weeks at school and no one has said owt or noticed.