Random Irritations

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
The new format for Lonely Planet guides…I might actually hate it.

They uses to give the nitty-gritty detailed sort of info for the perhaps more serious travellers rather than resort holidaymakers would be looking for. Now they just seem like a big holiday brochure with lots of pretty pictures.

One simple but, for me, big loss is that they don’t give the population of the cities and towns…might seem a bit of an irrelevance to some but for us it gave us a real feel as to whether or not a place would be somewhere we’d want to spend some time in. Even in more recent years with the Internet giving everything, the point of a comprehensive guide was to remove the need for Internet searches and trying to work out how reliable the information I was reading actually was.

Don’t known whether the Rough Guides have stayed true to their format and purpose or if they have gone they same, much less useful, route.

Hobbit

Mordorator
Visit site
Finally got through to them on the phone and have postponed it till February when they will send me a choice of times and dates. 90 minutes wasted

How long would it take an NHS admin assistant to send out 20 appointment letters, from a pro forma template, and how long would it take to make 20 phone calls to book those appointments, bearing in mind they would have had to make way more than 20 calls to get 20 people pick up? What’s the best use of an already over stretched resource?

Your irritation, no problem with that.

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
How long would it take an NHS admin assistant to send out 20 appointment letters, from a pro forma template, and how long would it take to make 20 phone calls to book those appointments, bearing in mind they would have had to make way more than 20 calls to get 20 people pick up? What’s the best use of an already over stretched resource?

When we have to take our daughter for her eye thing every 3 months they send out letter and we play the game of calling back as we can't make the day and move the appointment to when I can take her.

Sometimes though (twice now out of 4 times) I've have managed to say to the person doing the check up on her eyes "any chance of booking her the appointment through you now so we can pick a day that suits" 2 times they did it

Once he goes I'll make a note of when you can do (then got another day and had to move it lol)

First time they sent a letter having a go I missed it and I rang and said I accept that if I had got a letter saying when it was. Lol

When I went Wednesday with her I managed to book her back in for December which was great. Daddy daughter day at the hospital, takes about an hour but she enjoys it now

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site

The lady I spoke to on the phone said they would be back in touch in January to arrange a time and venue convenient for everyone. If they had written that in the first letter, I would have called back and made an appointment for later.
It's a pity no-one answered the question I asked in the OP as I was trying to find out if this is normal practice all over the country or just unique to Lincolnshire.
The next time I want to know something, I'll go and ask elsewhere where people are less judgemental.

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
Let’s just hope they fill your initial appt time and it doesn’t become a waste of resources.
I'm well aware of that which is why I called them back.
Surely not wasted because you got the outcome you desired?
As I said above, if the letter had asked me to contact them to make an appointment, I would have done so, but they just told me that I had an appointment booked and asked me to contact them ASAP if I couldn't make it. Hence 90 minutes this morning waiting to get through which was ASAP

PaulMdj

Visit site
I'm well aware of that which is why I called them back.

As I said above, if the letter had asked me to contact them to make an appointment, I would have done so, but they just told me that I had an appointment booked and asked me to contact them ASAP if I couldn't make it. Hence 90 minutes this morning waiting to get through which was ASAP
How do you know if they’ll fill the appointment you’ve turned down? I’m sure they’ll try, but you can’t guarantee it.

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Let’s just hope they fill your initial appt time and it doesn’t become a waste of resources.

lots of assuming that @bobmac could even make the original appointment. He might have been out the country for example. just like giving him plenty of notice he has in return given them plenty of notice that he cant make it.

I doubt VERY much they wont fill it.. and if they dont its not bobs fault

AmandaJR

Money List Winner
Visit site
I'm with Bob on this one. Seems to be standard the letter is sent with an appointment booked and weirdly worded like there had been some previous contact about it.

Maybe a freedom of information as to how many are rearranged or indeed not attended. Must be a better way.

Careful though - David rang to rearrange one with regard to his prostate and they basically blackballed him and took him out of the system! Took his GP to complain and get it sorted.

Slime

Tour Winner
Visit site
I'm with Bob on this one. Seems to be standard the letter is sent with an appointment booked and weirdly worded like there had been some previous contact about it.

Maybe a freedom of information as to how many are rearranged or indeed not attended. Must be a better way.

Careful though - David rang to rearrange one with regard to his prostate and they basically blackballed him and took him out of the system! Took his GP to complain and get it sorted.

Plus the fact that it's HIS irritation.
Please, just accept that he's irritated by it.

PaulMdj

Visit site
lots of assuming that @bobmac could even make the original appointment. He might have been out the country for example. just like giving him plenty of notice he has in return given them plenty of notice that he cant make it.

I doubt VERY much they wont fill it.. and if they dont its not bobs fault
Who blamed Bob? Or said it was his fault? Plus there is absolutely no reason why any of us have to know his reason for cancelling! Plenty of posters, including a mod have explained why they will have sent out an appt without asking him!
My post wasn’t a dig at Bob, it was meant about the way the NHS had sent it out and caused the issue themselves.
Bob answered me and didn’t need any further input.

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Who blamed Bob? Or said it was his fault? Plus there is absolutely no reason why any of us have to know his reason for cancelling! Plenty of posters, including a mod have explained why they will have sent out an appt without asking him!
My post wasn’t a dig at Bob, it was meant about the way the NHS had sent it out and caused the issue themselves.
Bob answered me and didn’t need any further input.

Yet hobbit (the mod in question) explained rightly it's a good use of resources as it's more efficient way of getting those appointments made on the off chance a few have to cancel.

Bobs annoyed which is fine but it's a much more efficient way of working.

Hobbit

Mordorator
Visit site
Yet hobbit (the mod in question) explained rightly it's a good use of resources as it's more efficient way of getting those appointments made on the off chance a few have to cancel.

Bobs annoyed which is fine but it's a much more efficient way of working.

Fairly certain my last sentence said I had no issue with his irritation.