Random Irritations

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
HS2 works ramping up..
For the last month we've had two of the major roads into town closed - one for 3 weeks and 1 for 1 wèk - causing complete traffic chaos.
The Boy and Mrs Imurg both work at Stoke Mandeville Hospital
Their "commute" normally takes 10 minutes
Over 30 minutes this morning - you could honestwalk there quicker but the weather is foul
School kids are getting in late as buses get caught up in it all.
The last year has seen dozens of road closures, some for weeks on end.
And they haven't really got going yet...........
If I'm still alive I'll be giving the first train a very big finger!

Robster59

Tour Rookie
www.eastrengolfclub.co.uk
The plumber who installed the heating system in my house.
He put the drain cock down so low that it is nearly impossible to get a hose on it without a kink in the hose.
I was going to change it but it ended up under a kitchen cupboard unit, behind a support leg and there is no way to get a spanner in.

In addition is my annoyance is with myself, the heating system was totally drained down when the new kitchen went in and I should have moved it then.
We had the plumber in last week to move a radiator and he asked where the water supply was. It's under the sink but when the previous owners put in the new kitchen, the installers then put the cupboard bottom in while the valve was horizontal, meaning you couldn't turn it off! He managed to cut a hole around it so that it's actually usable now. The mind boggles that an installer would leave it like that.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Browsing through YouTube and seeing that I am subscribed to a channel that I definitely never subscribed to. So they must have taken over (or hacked?) a different channel that I was subscribed to. But I have no idea what it was. :unsure:

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Crikey. I switch off when JV comes on. I couldn't listen to his voice continually for a couple of hours.
It's on in the factory. The staff do a repetitive job and the discussion element of that show helps to break the day up, passes the time. To be fair to him, he knows his stuff, knows his brief, is compassionate with the people who phone in. You realise how good he is when his off and others take over (Vanessa Feltz :eek:)

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Buy a toaster that can cope?
Dualist make some than even take crumpets, and they do a lovely job;)
Sometimes it's length rather than depth though. My wife went to Tesco's the other week, we don't have many up here so it is rare, and she brought bread that is too long/tall for our toaster. The top stuck out and wasn't toasted. It can cope with thick bread, just not longer slices.

Pathetic Shark

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Browsing through YouTube and seeing that I am subscribed to a channel that I definitely never subscribed to. So they must have taken over (or hacked?) a different channel that I was subscribed to. But I have no idea what it was. :unsure:

It was the Steps tribute channel wasn't it? And there is one person on here you can definitely blame for that - re-arrange these letters AGGERFR

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Sliced bread that doesn't fit into toasters.
As per other buy the toaster to fit the bread . In fact buy one with a big enough opening to do buns and tea cakes which have been cut in half
Function not form should be the rule.

My son has a toaster that only does the two thirds of a slice when to bottom 2/3rds are done you have to put it back in the other way up to get the top done. I bought him one which does the job but have not seen it since buying it for him.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Sometimes it's length rather than depth though. My wife went to Tesco's the other week, we don't have many up here so it is rare, and she brought bread that is too long/tall for our toaster. The top stuck out and wasn't toasted. It can cope with thick bread, just not longer slices.
A 4 slice long slot toaster is the answer to that one - put it in sideways.
(reminds me of a joke about putting it in another way, not suitable for this forum)

Mudball

Assistant Pro
Visit site
New Siemens Dishwasher is now installed. Got it to run and all that. Looks like a good kit.

Unfortunately, it can also be controlled via mobile. I hate connected devices (one more thing to go wrong). But being the geek that I am, I decided to go full monty and set up remote connectivity.
1) The german catalogue is no good. Siemens may make good products, but their documentation is atrocious!
2) So i had to sit there and try different things including watching YouTube videos.
3) Finally got it to all connect. It was easy, once i found the right sequence. In the meanwhile also ended up factory resetting it a couple of times.

Now the biggest irritation. Once it was set up, it tells me that it has to install a software update!!! For my safety and Security a new patch is required. Please keep the dishwasher switched on and the phone connected. Can take upto 10 mins.
I have lost a good 2 hours of what should have been a 20 min job.

The worst bit... i never intend to use remote switching on and status checks on my dishwasher. But like an EV (and it will make @PJ87 jealous), the app spews out a ton of data - water usage, soap level, energy usage etc.
New Dishwasher seems to get a new software update every few days!!!.. I wonder how things used to work in the old days when DWs were dumb.

The DW has an ‘intensive 45’ and another button for ‘intensive 75’… the app has now allowed me to download a new ‘intensive 60’ programme!!!