Random Irritations

Bunkermagnet

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Yesterday my wife said the screenwash in her car had run out. So I filled it up. Today she tells me it's still not working.

Going online, I discover that it's a well-known problem with Hyundai that there's a filter in the washer pump that gets clogged up.
Tomorrow I'm going to have to take off a wheel and remove the wheel arch cover to get at the filter.

In nearly 50 years of motoring, I've never come across this problem before. Hyundai must be doing something weird.
And if it's a common problem, why the hell make it such a faff to get at the filter to unclog it? 🤬
Can you not blow air back down the delivery tube into the bottle?

RichA

Visit site
Would it matter if you took the screen filller resevoir cap off. 🤔
I think there's a one-way valve on the pump between the reservoir and the nozzle. But the plastic tubes are normally just a push fit so it would blow those off. Taking an accessible one of them off first might be the best bet.

cliveb

Head Pro
Visit site
I think there's a one-way valve on the pump between the reservoir and the nozzle. But the plastic tubes are normally just a push fit so it would blow those off. Taking an accessible one of them off first might be the best bet.
I did see one video online (regarding the rear washer) saying there was a one way valve, which can seize up. His solution was to just drill out the mechanism, saying "what's the point of a one way valve?". I think he has a point. Can anyone think why it's important to have such a valve?

Mind you, both the front and rear washers have stopped working, so I doubt the valves in both feeds happen to have seized at the same time.

Neilds

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I did see one video online (regarding the rear washer) saying there was a one way valve, which can seize up. His solution was to just drill out the mechanism, saying "what's the point of a one way valve?". I think he has a point. Can anyone think why it's important to have such a valve?

Mind you, both the front and rear washers have stopped working, so I doubt the valves in both feeds happen to have seized at the same time.
Must be there for some reason, manufacturers don't like spending money on pointless valves when a bit of rubber tubing would do the job.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
These poxy new plastic bottle lids that stay attached and make it difficult to line the thread up properly when closing.
Twice now I've showered myself in orange juice when shaking the bottle before having a drink.
I saw someone on the tv a few weeks ago eulogising about these, saying how they were good for the environment. During the interview the host raised the question of not all areas being able to recycle the caps. The interviewee admitted that her own council could not recycle those caps so any bottles with caps attached probably went into land fill / incinerators. Progress................:rolleyes:

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
I saw someone on the tv a few weeks ago eulogising about these, saying how they were good for the environment. During the interview the host raised the question of not all areas being able to recycle the caps. The interviewee admitted that her own council could not recycle those caps so any bottles with caps attached probably went into land fill / incinerators. Progress................:rolleyes:
1726132818071.png

So annoying. I usually try and snap them off anyway, but then you're left with a sharp bit sticking into your lip if you're not careful. One of those 'solving a problem that didn't exist' issues I think. Every time I throw a bottle in the recycling I would screw the cap back on it anyway. I didn't know there were vast numbers of people not doing that.

Pepsi Max haven't succumbed to this trend yet thankfully, since that is my usual fizzy pop of choice. (y)

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
@Orikoru lots of recycling centres can't yet manage with those types of caps. An odd one but there you go. Where I am, we are told to put the caps in general waste, the bottle in recycling. If you put the cap on the bottle, the whole bottle gets thrown into general waste.

It's all dependent on what your local recycling centre can cope with.

Robster59

Tour Rookie
www.eastrengolfclub.co.uk
Knife wholesaler surrenders 35,000 'zombie' blades
This company has made a living out of selling equipment that has only one purpose, to maim or kill, and have sold them with that knowledge but have been more concerned about making money than they are about the people these blades will be used on. They are are getting £10 each for returned blades which may be less than they paid but I am sure that they would not have done that if there was not still a legitimate market for them. They are not returning them out of a feeling of civic duty, just to try and recover their spend on the kit. And 35,000 in stock! How many are already out there in the market if they can hold that much in stock?

Last edited:

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I don't think ours is programmed to come on automatically otherwise would be be fired up too.

The wife gets hot very easily (hence why I had AC installed in the house) but the kids feeling bit chilly in the morning. I have the ACs programmed to fire on downstairs in heat mode for about 45 mins each morning to take the chill off for them. By the time the wife has done all her jobs upstairs in the morning ive given the kids breakfast and the units have turned back off again. That usually does us until after October half term (we move to turning on in evenings aswell deeper into October then come November just use the boiler to do the work