Random Irritations

Robster59

Tour Rookie
www.eastrengolfclub.co.uk
Just goes to show how people ignore signs when they do not see a reason for them
I was driving up the M74 last night and I had already passed this numpty who insisted on staying in the middle lane when the inside lane was empty. A sign came saying Lanes 2 & 3 were closing in 800, 400 and then 200 yards. This idiot kept on driving in the middle lane almost right to the point that he got to where the road worker had already closed lane 3 and was continuing putting out the cones to close Lane 2. This idiot continued in Lane 2 and almost hit the worker despite him gesticulating (and swearing) at this moron. They had plenty of notice but just carried on regardless. That could have been fatal.

Fade and Die

Medal Winner
Visit site
All the people who have been charged following the riots who say they are ashamed and deeply regret what they have done. Would they feel the same if they hadn't been caught and charged?
No of course not but its expected to say that to the judge to hopefully minimise the sentence. I reckon most people who have been found guilty of an offence say it, Its not exclusive to the recent anti immigration disorder.

What do you expect them to say, "Your honour, you are just a puppet of the government and are laying the foundations for a totalitarian state"? 😁

Robster59

Tour Rookie
www.eastrengolfclub.co.uk
No of course not but its expected to say that to the judge to hopefully minimise the sentence. I reckon most people who have been found guilty of an offence say it, Its not exclusive to the recent anti immigration disorder.

What do you expect them to say, "Your honour, you are just a puppet of the government and are laying the foundations for a totalitarian state"? 😁
No, I agree entirely with what you say, it just annoys the poop out of me, that's all.
Although I do hear that the sentencing for one of those charged has apparently been delayed as he has been trying to sell his autograph to others in the prison with him.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
All the people who have been charged following the riots who say they are ashamed and deeply regret what they have done. Would they feel the same if they hadn't been caught and charged?
When I've read some of the apologies I do wonder how the solicitor has kept a straight face whilst reading them out. So many sound like the old Harry Enfield sketches, 'I was walking my dog and accidentally took a 2 mile wrong turn, picked up a stone in anger and threw it. Unfortunately a police officer happened to appear from nowhere and walked into it......' 🤪

Neilds

Assistant Pro
Visit site
When I've read some of the apologies I do wonder how the solicitor has kept a straight face whilst reading them out. So many sound like the old Harry Enfield sketches, 'I was walking my dog and accidentally took a 2 mile wrong turn, picked up a stone in anger and threw it. Unfortunately a police officer happened to appear from nowhere and walked into it......' 🤪
The one that always used to make me mad was "It was not my client's usual behaviour, but he had been drinking m'lud". If I was the judge I would instantly double the fine and say the reason was to make getting drunk more unaffordable to them

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
The one that always used to make me mad was "It was not my client's usual behaviour, but he had been drinking m'lud". If I was the judge I would instantly double the fine and say the reason was to make getting drunk more unaffordable to them
How many times does someone kick off on a plane and then use that excuse? My client didn't realise 6 pints in the airport lounge / 5 g & t would have this impact 🙄.

I'd be terrible as a judge, I'd laugh in their faces when that one was rolled out each time.

Ye Olde Boomer

Visit site
Speaking of court,
I am very suspect about the existence of free will.
There's no scientific explanation for it,
and if it doesn't exist, than punishment for transgressions is only revenge, not justice.

I don't believe in punishment, personally.
I believe in rehabilitation first, and failing that, humane euthanasia.
I certainly don't believe in execution, as many Americans unfortunately do,
but humane euthanasia is not execution.
It's how we relieve our beloved pets from their suffering. It's totally different, don't you think?

Tashyboy

Please don’t ask to see my tatts 👍
Visit site
I am an ex-landlord. It's ridiculous you can buy 10 cans for £10 or one pint for £5 now. It's not rocket science, it's a no-brainer: reverse the situation. Make supermarket beer more expensive than pub beer, then people will start to go out and mix again rather than getting drunk at home.

Reading rubbish like this boils my tiddle.
That was a quote by someone on Sky app.
My grief is if supermarket beer can be so cheap. Why is pub beer so dear. There are many reasons and tax being one of them but does this plank seriously think that by making supermarket beer expensive we will all go to an expensive pub. It just ain’t gonna happen. And don’t get me started on the cost of alcohol free beer and soft drinks in pubs.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I am an ex-landlord. It's ridiculous you can buy 10 cans for £10 or one pint for £5 now. It's not rocket science, it's a no-brainer: reverse the situation. Make supermarket beer more expensive than pub beer, then people will start to go out and mix again rather than getting drunk at home.

Reading rubbish like this boils my tiddle.
That was a quote by someone on Sky app.
My grief is if supermarket beer can be so cheap. Why is pub beer so dear. There are many reasons and tax being one of them but does this plank seriously think that by making supermarket beer expensive we will all go to an expensive pub. It just ain’t gonna happen. And don’t get me started on the cost of alcohol free beer and soft drinks in pubs.
I do agree to a certain extent
it's all the other costs that have to be taken in to account
Rates - how much of their rates do supermarkets attribute to the space needed for alcohol. Look at all the unused space a pub has to pay rates on, same amount if there is 1 customer in or 100
Business Insurance - ditto to above
Staffing costs -ditto to above. The supermarkets do nit have to pay for someone to open the cans/bottles
Waste disposal the supermarkets do have to pay for empty cans and bottles to be collected the pubs do

Totally agree with the ridiculous cost of soft drinks, squash even at club is now in the region of £2.