Random Irritations

Billysboots

Falling apart at the seams
Visit site
Just goes to show how people ignore signs when they do not see a reason for them

You’re missing the point! People weren’t ignoring the signs. They were adhering to them, slowing down and moving out of the “closed” lane when there was absolutely no reason to.

A 40mph speed limit, being largely adhered to, and traffic filtering out of lane one despite the fact the obstruction had long since been removed, all causing a lengthy tailback, when the motorway was completely clear.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
You’re missing the point! People weren’t ignoring the signs. They were adhering to them, slowing down and moving out of the “closed” lane when there was absolutely no reason to.

A 40mph speed limit, being largely adhered to, and traffic filtering out of lane one despite the fact the obstruction had long since been removed, all causing a lengthy tailback, when the motorway was completely clear.

Have you simply considered that the road repair team were somewhere behind you on their way to the scene to assess any damage to the road before deciding if the lanes could be brought back in to use.

Billysboots

Falling apart at the seams
Visit site
Have you simply considered that the road repair team were somewhere behind you on their way to the scene to assess any damage to the road before deciding if the lanes could be brought back in to use.

This could end up in a lengthy back and forth!!

I was a motorway cop for years, so have some understanding and recognition of when a scene has been dealt with, cleared, and a motorway reopened. That is exactly what had happened here. With the exception of the overhead gantry signs being cancelled. And the fact they had not been cancelled was causing unnecessary chaos.

Bunkermagnet

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
This could end up in a lengthy back and forth!!

I was a motorway cop for years, so have some understanding and recognition of when a scene has been dealt with, cleared, and a motorway reopened. That is exactly what had happened here. With the exception of the overhead gantry signs being cancelled. And the fact they had not been cancelled was causing unnecessary chaos.
I regularly see gantry signs, 4 light boards 3 say a speed limit, one says end, and it isn't an outside lane either.
Theres also one on the A2 into London, 2 are blank, one says 40 but nother before or after it.

Neilds

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Speaking of urinals.......I can still remember when I first lived in the UK (1980), there were the occasional pubs that in the bathroom they just had metal walls so that you could just pee against the wall instead of actually having to hit a target. Ahhhh, the good ol' days.
when I was stationed in the far North of Scotland in the 90s, one of the pubs in the local town had a charity collection in the metal tray urinal! The trough was full of loose change that they used to collect, wash and donate to a local charity. There was a sign above stating that anyone caught taking the money would be banned for life - not sure why they would need to put people off from nicking pee covered coppers :sick:

Neilds

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Currently doing a couple of hours of online training, 2/3rds of the way through it crashes and my progress hasn't been saved. Now having to sit through the videos at double speed and redo the mini assessments again until I get back to where I was 😡

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
Currently doing a couple of hours of online training, 2/3rds of the way through it crashes and my progress hasn't been saved. Now having to sit through the videos at double speed and redo the mini assessments again until I get back to where I was 😡

Not well known but the ‘crash’ is actually part of the training & it tracks how trainees react to it :p

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Hope whoever's hurt on the road I'm stuck on is ok. Bit annoying that I was literally 5 cars from getting past the queue I had been working slowly through for 5 mins then the police arrived and we haven't moved (even bikes) for half an hour.

Irritating ofc but hope nobody is too hurt.

Oh I tell you what is annoying people getting out their cars. The expert crash investors

srixon 1

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Hope whoever's hurt on the road I'm stuck on is ok. Bit annoying that I was literally 5 cars from getting past the queue I had been working slowly through for 5 mins then the police arrived and we haven't moved (even bikes) for half an hour.

Irritating ofc but hope nobody is too hurt.

Oh I tell you what is annoying people getting out their cars. The expert crash investors
Yes very annoying, but someone else is having a much worse day 😢

My in-laws were once stuck on the M5 for over five hours without moving after a fatal accident had occurred about a mile ahead of them.

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Yes very annoying, but someone else is having a much worse day 😢

My in-laws were once stuck on the M5 for over five hours without moving after a fatal accident had occurred about a mile ahead of them.

I got delayed by about 45 mins but it seems not fatal as was just stuff over the road which is why they closed it for those 45 mins then opened it and nothing was there