Random Irritations

Hobbit

Mordorator
Visit site
How do we know who has been banned?

We can’t tell you because of GDPR but, bizarrely, if you search for a member you know but haven’t seen for a while it will say “banned” just below the avatar. Also, if you search for someone who has asked to have their account deleted you’ll only find them by quoted posts. Once you’ve found a quoted post you can look back to where they posted up and it will say “deleted member 12345”

We usually see banned member trying to rejoin about once a month. Some sneak in but will eventually let the cat out of the bag. There is a back office function, above mods pay grade, that can look at equipment ID. We look for IP addresses, locations, style of posting - someone might use a lot of exclamation marks… can’t think who, who has revisited under different guises at least half a doz times.

KenL

Tour Rookie
Visit site
We can’t tell you because of GDPR but, bizarrely, if you search for a member you know but haven’t seen for a while it will say “banned” just below the avatar. Also, if you search for someone who has asked to have their account deleted you’ll only find them by quoted posts. Once you’ve found a quoted post you can look back to where they posted up and it will say “deleted member 12345”

We usually see banned member trying to rejoin about once a month. Some sneak in but will eventually let the cat out of the bag. There is a back office function, above mods pay grade, that can look at equipment ID. We look for IP addresses, locations, style of posting - someone might use a lot of exclamation marks… can’t think who, who has revisited under different guises at least half a doz times.
Interesting, thanks.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Interesting to see the police presence building up around Coventry yesterday afternoon and apparently Reading had loads of shops closing early and came in to a load of warnings to staff especially females trying to get home alone (and to try and buddy up). Doesn't look like too much happened fortunately

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site

How come banned members often end up as deleted members after their ban?

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
- someone might use a lot of exclamation marks… can’t think who, who has revisited under different guises at least half a doz times.
I can't think either!!
I didn't realise he had tried that many times to get back in !!!
The thing that made me smile (or laugh!!!) was when he put an exclamation mark after a comment in brackets!!!!!!!

GreiginFife

Money List Winner
Visit site
I can't think either!!
I didn't realise he had tried that many times to get back in !!!
The thing that made me smile (or laugh!!!) was when he put an exclamation mark after a comment in brackets!!!!!!!
It wasn’t just the abuse of exclamation marks. He also had a strange writing tic of putting words in quotation marks that really didn’t need to be.

Doon frae Troon

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Lovely day out in Southend with the kids. My parents joined us and we're staying down there for dinner and coming home by train.

This is where I get sad and angry reading the txt off my dad

"Just leaving Westcliffe
Shops all shutting early due to possible riots tonight
How sad"

They got home safe of course about an hour ago it's just pathetic action by a few morons

5 years in prison for just stop oil which whilst is blooming annoying how can the courts hand down 3 years to someone who punched a police officer amongst other things in these riots.

Id say a peaceful protest that just causes travel chaos shouldn't be more in prison for people punching our heros who put themselves on the line to protect our streets. What a disgrace
Wonderful to see how the English public responded to the rioters last night. (y) :)
Taking to the streets in their thousands

KenL

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Straight from the gdpr playbook.

"Opinions and inferences are also personal data if the individual can be identified from that data, either directly or indirectly, and the information relates …"

Just saying.
Basil Brush's lawyer will be in touch soon.🤣

Swango1980

Visit site
Interesting to see the police presence building up around Coventry yesterday afternoon and apparently Reading had loads of shops closing early and came in to a load of warnings to staff especially females trying to get home alone (and to try and buddy up). Doesn't look like too much happened fortunately
Thankfully nothing kicked off outside my house. Businesses closed early, and boarded up. There were 2 or 3 police vans sitting outside most of the night, and a dispersal order had been issued until 12pm today.

Left my car at work last night to be on the safe side, so had a sweaty hours walk to work this morning