Random Irritations

Bunkermagnet

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I was surprised it is not fully ‘sealed’.. 4 layers of overlapping glass in my neff.. there is a rubber apron on the 2nd layer which gives a seal, but nothing other than that to ensure full fit..
in her case .. 3 panes..
Is it pyrolytic then?
Also slide and hide and too easy to spill fluid onto the handle are so fluid gets between the glasses.

Voyager EMH

Slipper Wearing Plucker of Pheasants
Visit site
One for those with a way with words...

I'm trying to write something and I can't seem to get the order and grammar right...so please help!

"She's gone"

Or is it.

"She's gone"

The words hung, quiet and still, in the air as I tried to take in and comprehend what I’d just heard.

Or perhaps

"She's gone"

The words, quiet and still, hung in the air as I tried to take in and comprehend what I’d just heard.

Or again...

"She's gone"

The words hung, quiet and still in the air as I tried to take in and comprehend what I’d just heard.

Or some other alternative
The words hung quiet and still in the air as I tried to take in and comprehend what I’d just heard.

"Poetic Licence", if you believe in such a thing, allows the author some scope with deviation from convention with regards to grammar.
Whatever the author chooses remains his or her choice of expression.

"Still" is a tricky one. It can mean "motionless" or "continuing" or "remaining". Consider "I'm still bleeding". I am continuing to bleed. I am motionless and bleeding.

"words hung quiet" is perhaps more correctly "words hung quietly".
The hanging words were perhaps motionless in the air and perhaps remaining in the air. Either or both.

One comma after "air" is required for the second clause of the sentence. That is the only comma I would put in.

I would rewrite the sentence as,

The words hung quietly and remained motionless in the air, as I tried to comprehend what I had heard.

"Take in and comprehend" has an element of tautology.
"Just" is unnecessary.

Last edited:

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
The words hung quiet and still in the air as I tried to take in and comprehend what I’d just heard.

"Poetic Licence", if you believe in such a thing, allows the author some scope with deviation from convention with regards to grammar.

"Still" is a tricky one. It can mean "motionless" or "continuing" or "remaining". Consider "I'm still bleeding". I am continuing to bleed. I am motionless and bleeding.

The hanging words were perhaps motionless in the air and perhaps remaining in the air. Either or both.

One comma after "air" is required for the second clause of the sentence. That is the only comma I would put in.

The words hung quietly and remained motionless in the air, as I tried to comprehend what I had heard.

"Just" is unnecessary.
The ‘just’ is there as an indicator of immediate following moment

backwoodsman

Tour Winner
Visit site

"Just" is unnecessary.
... is a sentence devoid of any feeling or emotion. I'd take any of SILH's options in prefence.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Went to do a 5 minute job of trimming one of the bushes in the garden , three and half minutes in to job and the hedge trimmer packed up.

They do not make things like they used to, only had it 20 years.