Random Irritations

Tashyboy

Please don’t ask to see my tatts 👍
Visit site
Can’t - they live on the main road and no parking outside their house their side of the road. But there is usually plenty of space on our road and not outside anyone’s house for main road households to park - as there is at the moment - loads of such space but they haven’t got the decency to move their car.
I would be parking my car there as soon as there’s is gone. If it is safe for there’s it would be safe for yours. 👍

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
I think that many questioning my irritation may be missing the fact that he’s been parked outside our house for ten days…and has made no effort to move his car despite plenty of space becoming available in the road in the parts that main road residents generally park. I have no issue with anyone parking in front of our house when parking spaces become difficult. But residents in our road generally respect each other and will move asap if having to park somewhere out of the normal. This guy seems to have decided he’s going to act differently.

He’s also parked across a neighbours garage and when asked to move made his reluctance to do so very evident in his use of language,

Besides…it’s my random irritation.

ETA…he’s also used his car at least once while we have been out…and on his return has parked it outside us when there was absolutely no need to. We know this as it’s now pointing in the opposite direction.

Last edited:

Morfeen75

Visit site
I think that many questioning my irritation may be missing the fact that he’s been parked outside our house for ten days…and has made no effort to move his car despite plenty of space becoming available in the road in the parts that main road residents generally park. I have no issue with anyone parking in front of our house when parking spaces become difficult. But residents in our road generally respect each other and will move asap if having to park somewhere out of the normal. This guy seems to have decided he’s going to act differently.

He’s also parked across a neighbours garage and when asked to move made his reluctance to do so very evident in his use of language,

Besides…it’s my random irritation.

ETA…he’s also used his car at least once while we have been out…and on his return has parked it outside us when there was absolutely no need to. We know this as it’s now pointing in the opposite direction.
It sounds like your neighbour is a right plant pot.

We used to live in a busy road where most people had 2 veichles but the driveways were not really big enough to get 2 cars on so everyone had their own "space" outside there house so to speak. We all had car parking ettiquette. If anyone had visitors it would severely impact parking spaces.

I would buy an old runner and either park it outside his or when he moves from outside yours.

cliveb

Head Pro
Visit site
Do your other neighbours have the same opinion of him?
If so, get together with them and park a couple of cars either side of his, so close that he has no way of getting out. Then ignore his requests to move them.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Do your other neighbours have the same opinion of him?
If so, get together with them and park a couple of cars either side of his, so close that he has no way of getting out. Then ignore his requests to move them.
Yes…our neighbour with a garage. Anyway…there are a variety of things I might do…

Bunkermagnet

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Yes…our neighbour with a garage. Anyway…there are a variety of things I might do…
Everything you do will only escalate it. If, and that’s a big if, he had parking outside his house I would be more sympathetic to your irritation, but as you’ve said he doesn’t I fail to see this as anything more than Nimbyism.

rudebhoy

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
I used to work at a massive government site, there was a good few thousand worked there, you only got an on-site parking space once you had been there for about 5 years, such was the waiting list.

There was a housing estate nearby, folk would park there much to the annoyance of the residents. One guy I worked with used to park outside the same house. The owner would leave notes on the windscreen asking him not to park there, which he ignored. One day he went back to his car after work to find that every window was covered in newspaper stuck to it with wallpaper paste.

He never parked there again. Just a thought.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Everything you do will only escalate it. If, and that’s a big if, he had parking outside his house I would be more sympathetic to your irritation, but as you’ve said he doesn’t I fail to see this as anything more than Nimbyism.
Notwithstanding the fact that there is plenty of parking in the road that does not impact residents…nibyism - yeh right. And there is some limited parking across the road from his house. Nimbyism…right…

And oh yes…he knows it’s unnecessary; it irritates - and so can only be doing it deliberately., for what reason I do not know other than he is a selfish prat. And of course my neighbour with the garage he blocked then moaned with expletives when asked to move. More nimbyism..yeh that be it.🙄

SteveW86

Head Pro
Visit site
Notwithstanding the fact that there is plenty of parking in the road that does not impact residents…nibyism - yeh right. And there is some limited parking across the road from his house. Nimbyism…right…

And oh yes…he knows it’s unnecessary; it irritates - and so can only be doing it deliberately., for what reason I do not know other than he is a selfish prat. And of course my neighbour with the garage he blocked then moaned with expletives when asked to move. More nimbyism..yeh that be it.🙄

I think if you’d have included the bit about your neighbours garage in the initial post, you’d probably have a bit more support.

Blocking someone’s garage or driveway is a problem, parking legally outside your house is not. I’d agree it’s irritating, so fits the thread perfectly though.

pendodave

Tour Rookie
Visit site
I live on a Victorian terrace street. Like most of them, the parking is a bit of a lottery. Normally, it ends up somewhere nearby, sometimes a street away. Nobody dies. One resident has a disabled space outside, but the rest of us just make do and mend.
It probably works, because we don't have any unenforceable "unspoken rules" to make things complicated. It just reeks of hyacinth bucket, curtain twitching, bbc sitcom, middle class cliche.
You're better than that, SilH. It really doesn't matter and there's enough things to get genuinely p'd off about in today's GB without letting another one do your head in.

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
We have a similar issue with parking....it's an unwritten rule for the 3 houses either side of us that we don't park outside each other's house...works fine.
There's a cul-de-sac almost opposite us
A couple of people park in our road as it's closer to their house than parking in their road.
The trouble is that then some of our road has to park in their road..
So you've got cars from road A parked in road B and vice versa...
Would just be so much simpler if we all parked in outer own road......I park on our drive so I'm mostly ambivalent :cool:

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Perhaps the only way to secure "your" space is to have your front garden turned into parking and pay to have a dropped kerb put in. You will be able to park outside your house then.
It’s not my ‘space’. It’s public space that is shared collaboratively, and with consideration, by the residents of the road…as is all on road parking in our cul-de-sac. The residents on the main road know where to park with minimum impact on us…and in general they do unless they can’t - but when that happens they generally repark as soon as they can and that all works great and everyone is happy.

Did I mention that they have two offstreet parking spots…I didn’t…anyway…they usually use these to park his work van and her camper van. She parks her car on our road and he parks his car on it. Most of us don’t have four vehicles.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
I live on a Victorian terrace street. Like most of them, the parking is a bit of a lottery. Normally, it ends up somewhere nearby, sometimes a street away. Nobody dies. One resident has a disabled space outside, but the rest of us just make do and mend.
It probably works, because we don't have any unenforceable "unspoken rules" to make things complicated. It just reeks of hyacinth bucket, curtain twitching, bbc sitcom, middle class cliche.
You're better than that, SilH. It really doesn't matter and there's enough things to get genuinely p'd off about in today's GB without letting another one do your head in.
I’m not that bothered…just randomly irritated. And I’m not going to do anything about it. As you say. I have much more pressing issues to deal with.

Bunkermagnet

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
It’s not my ‘space’. It’s public space that is shared collaboratively, and with consideration, by the residents of the road…as is all on road parking in our cul-de-sac. The residents on the main road know where to park with minimum impact on us…and in general they do unless they can’t - but when that happens they generally repark as soon as they can and that all works great and everyone is happy.

Did I mention that they have two offstreet parking spots…I didn’t…anyway…they usually use these to park his work van and her camper van. She parks her car on our road and he parks his car on it. Most of us don’t have four vehicles.
I think you would have had much greater sympathy from the outset IF you had said they had 2 vehicles and 2 off road spaces, but you didn’t.
I can’t help but feel creating your own off road parking in your front garden is the only way you are ever going to not feel aggrieved.
I live on a main road, with double yellows on my side of the road. Being on a corner, I also have rear access into the side road. I have extended my off road parking as the girls have grown up so we don’t impact on the parking for everyone else. The are a few down the side road who view the space outside their house as theirs, something so obvious that any vehicle parked outside their house is either boxed in or when it moves they rush to out one of theirs in its place.

From a different perspective, I had a job about a year ago where I had to park outside someone’s house, there were no marking or restrictions in place. As I got my tools and bits out the woman in the house came running out and told me I couldn’t park their as it was “their” space and they were expecting someone. After her going on for about 5 mins, I gave up and moved the van a lot further down the road and walked back to do her neighbours machine.
A month later, I got a job at that woman’s address. I pulled up in the road and realising it was “that “ woman, rung her and said I couldn’t do the job as there was no parking. She said she had a space out the front of her house that was hers. I replied that the last time I parked there some woman went mad, so no..I won’t be parking there. I put the phone down and drove away.

Tashyboy

Please don’t ask to see my tatts 👍
Visit site
I think the problem that SILH has is one that will only get worse. And it is not a problem he has created. Look at new builds, 3,4,5 bed houses with car parking for one car, and at a push two. Out of how many couples does only one person work. I would have a guess that most houses are now two cars. So where do visitors park. If there is only one spot, one is on the rd. Most estates I go on now are like slalom course. It kicked off round our area a few months ago coz a guy was parking his tanker on the rd near the school.
Better planning is required for the future.