Random Irritations

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Our new tv arrived yesterday, fixed the bracket to the wall and went to plug all the cables in, turns out the power socket is on the opposite side compared to our old tv so the plug won’t reach. I’ve had to temporarily throw in an extension lead until I can source a 3 metre long kettle lead 😒
Steam will not make the cable stretch :ROFLMAO:

Hobbit

Mordorator
Visit site
Our new tv arrived yesterday, fixed the bracket to the wall and went to plug all the cables in, turns out the power socket is on the opposite side compared to our old tv so the plug won’t reach. I’ve had to temporarily throw in an extension lead until I can source a 3 metre long kettle lead 😒

Steam powered TV? Built by Stephenson?

Jim beat me to it

GreiginFife

Money List Winner
Visit site

KenL

Tour Rookie
Visit site
my next door neighbour had the responsibility for the fence and it was an interwoven lattice type.

I agreed with him to paint it, what colour etc and duly painted my side. A few weeks later he did his side with a totally different product and colour creating big streaks all down my side.

Similar thing happened with another neighbour at the rear of my house (although we never agreed to colour etc), with that one it is the downside of having a a feather edged fence with the good side on your side.
Is care of a boundary fence not a joint responsibility? That's the case for me.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
There is Karma

After posting my comment today I was trying to rearrange the hifi this morning and the cable for the amp will not reach the socket in it's new location

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Is care of a boundary fence not a joint responsibility? That's the case for me.
nothing in the Title deeds to say so.

A few years ago a new neighbour wanted to change the fence which is my responsibility because the previous neighbours had done no maintenance on their side and in fact ruined the bottoms by shovelling earth up over them. At first I said no because their was nothing wrong with my side and the style of fence they wanted to replace it with but in the end realising I would not have liability to maintain or replace it. ( the oak posts the builders had used had started to rot out and I was getting fed up with the work to replace them).

KenL

Tour Rookie
Visit site
nothing in the Title deeds to say so.

A few years ago a new neighbour wanted to change the fence which is my responsibility because the previous neighbours had done no maintenance on their side and in fact ruined the bottoms by shovelling earth up over them. At first I said no because their was nothing wrong with my side and the style of fence they wanted to replace it with but in the end realising I would not have liability to maintain or replace it. ( the oak posts the builders had used had started to rot out and I was getting fed up with the work to replace them).
Interesting, my title deeds say joint responsibility.
So, how do you decide who is liable for repairs?

RichA

Visit site
Interesting, my title deeds say joint responsibility.
So, how do you decide who is liable for repairs?
With boundary hedges and fences it entirely depends whose property it's on and who owns it. Most neighbours just have a "friendly" agreement unless their deeds explicitly mention responsibility for specific boundaries.
Probably why it causes so many disputes, historically; there is a lot of misunderstanding about it.

2blue

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Wow.

I haven’t read all the posts on the subject of the goings on at Manchester Airport. Neither do I want to. I’d had enough after the first half dozen or so.

I’ll say my piece and then I’m going to do my hardest to steer well clear of this debate. All I will say is that I hope none of you ever sit on a jury, because there are far too many here who, for the umpteenth time since I’ve been a regular on this forum, seem to find it within themselves to convict on the basis of a few seconds of video.

I will say here and now that I struggle to think of any justification for stamping on a man who is restrained and on the ground, BUT (and here’s the key, people), not a single one of us here know the full circumstances. Not one of us.

Me? I’ll reserve judgement until the matter has been fully investigated. If the officer has overstepped the mark, and is found to have done so, then that will be the time to pass judgement. Not before.

I genuinely despair and it is incidents such as this, where the self righteous cast their vote without having the first clue about the actual facts, that make me so glad I have left that life behind.
Sadly this is where his problem is & in reality, this belies whatever happened before.

Billysboots

Falling apart at the seams
Visit site
Sadly this is where his problem is & in reality, this belies whatever happened before.

The only addition I’d perhaps make is that, despite suggestions here that the man on the floor was handcuffed it actually looks as though he wasn’t.

But the key here is that I believe the police officer was armed. For reasons which I hope are obvious armed police officers have a tendency, in my experience at least, to avoid rolling around on the floor with suspects they are seeking to detain. I recall a statistic several years ago from the USA which suggested a high proportion of cops shot over there are shot with their own weapon, having been disarmed. So tactics deployed by armed police can be different.

This is all going to depend on the bigger picture, which none of us have seen, the mindset of the officer, and whether that mindset, and his subsequent actions, were reasonable.

When I was serving there is absolutely no way I would have wanted to carry a firearm. This scenario is one of the reasons.

Robster59

Tour Rookie
www.eastrengolfclub.co.uk
I would imagine his colleagues with him at the time on seeing his actions probably thought "Oh No!", or words to that effect. They may have been equally as horrified at his actions, but had to handle the situation post the event as it developed. It put them in a very difficult situation.

srixon 1

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
1. The motorway network in England. Absolute grid lock around Birmingham when just one car conks out on the M5.
2. A weekend in the media centre in Salford and staying in an apartment booked by the wife. As a Leeds supporter I now have to look at Old Trafford for two days 🤪

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
1. The motorway network in England. Absolute grid lock around Birmingham when just one car conks out on the M5.
2. A weekend in the media centre in Salford and staying in an apartment booked by the wife. As a Leeds supporter I now have to look at Old Trafford for two days 🤪
Yeah, but you can laugh at how it's falling apart though 😂

2blue

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I would imagine his colleagues with him at the time on seeing his actions probably thought "Oh No!", or words to that effect. They may have been equally as horrified at his actions, but had to handle the situation post the event as it developed. It put them in a very difficult situation.
Yes, it looked like an action of absolute, possibly understandable, frustration..... though a touch worrying when he is armed. I hope the inquiry is honest as there have been too many cover-ups in fairly recent times. I wish him the best.

Billysboots

Falling apart at the seams
Visit site
Yes, it looked like an action of absolute, possibly understandable, frustration..... though a touch worrying when he is armed. I hope the inquiry is honest as there have been too many cover-ups in fairly recent times. I wish him the best.

I can absolutely guarantee that the IOPC will not cover anything up. They are about as far from independent as it is possible to be.

I recall investigating a fatal collision involving a police vehicle many years ago when the IOPC (then IPCC) investigator told me, as the forensic collision investigator, at the very first case conference we had, that he intended to prosecute the officer for manslaughter. That was before any evidence whatsoever had been presented to him. Independent? Not in my experience.

They are an utter shambles but with a strong anti-police bias. So don’t expect anything to be “covered up”.