Random Irritations

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
China are a huge contradiction. They are burning coal for fun, still opening new coal power stations, polluting like they don't care yet at the same time are going big on solar and wind farms. I'm not sure that the good is outweighing the bad, in fact I know it isn't, so I don't think we can give them a pass yet.
Are we not aswell? Saying we doing one thing then not doing it or scaling back because we can't be bothered to fund it? Lol 🤣

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Are we not aswell? Saying we doing one thing then not doing it or scaling back because we can't be bothered to fund it? Lol 🤣
We are, but the scales are very different. I don't think we can take too much of a moral high ground here, we pumped enough rubbish into the atmosphere through the industrial revolution to modern times, but much of that was in times of ignorance. We are still very much part of the problem but the scale of China, and the pollution they create makes us look like amateurs.

ColchesterFC

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Also got to wonder how much of China's emissions are created by manufacturing products for the rest of the world. It's fine saying that we've reduced emissions but a large part of that is due to no longer manufacturing our own products. We've outsourced a lot of our emissions to China.

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
We are, but the scales are very different. I don't think we can take too much of a moral high ground here, we pumped enough rubbish into the atmosphere through the industrial revolution to modern times, but much of that was in times of ignorance. We are still very much part of the problem but the scale of China, and the pollution they create makes us look like amateurs.

Whilst a good point places like China and India are going through their phase of industrial revolution aswell, do you stop them completely because we now know it's bad but in doing so they don't get the finical benefit we did from doing so.

It's a tough call for sure. The fact that China are at least doing renewables on the side as a kind of balancing act to be sorted by their own timetable is better than not doing it at all

D-S

Visit site
Also don’t forget that the planet has an extra 70 million plus mouths to feed every year, so gives a continuing need for more and more energy. Getting on for a billion new consumers per decade creates a lot of extra demand.

Alan Clifford

Visit site
Common misconception on china,

They have set their targets for 2060 and actually are on a more achievable path.
Targets are pretty meaningless. Like moving to all electric cars by next month when there is not enough lithium to go round.

Alan Clifford

Visit site
Also don’t forget that the planet has an extra 70 million plus mouths to feed every year, so gives a continuing need for more and more energy. Getting on for a billion new consumers per decade creates a lot of extra demand.
That's the elephant in the room. No one talks about poplulation reduction. Except the Chinese had a go a generation ago. And, despite what they say, we must be in stage 2 of Chinese population control. Don't tell me they didn't know there would be abortions of femail fetuses and infanticide of the girls. So stage 2 is the imbalance between males and femails and not enough wombs to go around.

Bunkermagnet

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
That's the elephant in the room. No one talks about poplulation reduction. Except the Chinese had a go a generation ago. And, despite what they say, we must be in stage 2 of Chinese population control. Don't tell me they didn't know there would be abortions of femail fetuses and infanticide of the girls. So stage 2 is the imbalance between males and femails and not enough wombs to go around.
Could Covid have been an attempt by them to reduce the rest of the worlds population?

Hobbit

Mordorator
Visit site
Whilst a good point places like China and India are going through their phase of industrial revolution aswell, do you stop them completely because we now know it's bad but in doing so they don't get the finical benefit we did from doing so.

It's a tough call for sure. The fact that China are at least doing renewables on the side as a kind of balancing act to be sorted by their own timetable is better than not doing it at all

Yes, China & India are going through their respective industrial revolutions. There’s no need to stop them but there is a need for them to skip several steps and adopt modern, cleaner manufacturing processes & technologies that have already been proven elsewhere in the world. And to be fair to them, they are doing that. However, their starting point is from a very low point, and there’s already significant damage to their environment.

Our eldest is a technical director with a multi-national environmental sciences company. He was on a trade mission to Chine a number of years ago at which the Chinese wanted to buy the technology to clean up their rivers. Apparently, even up country, many of their rivers are frighteningly bad.

Voyager EMH

Slipper Wearing Plucker of Pheasants
Visit site
When I look for evidence of harm and destruction to the world caused by humans, at this point in time, I would say that most of it has been done by Europeans.
It was done for profit.
What right do Europeans have to wag their finger at others and deny them the same opportunities for prosperity?
We can ask them politely to participate in a change of direction. This, I believe, we do.

Hobbit

Mordorator
Visit site
It’s that time of year when all the windows are left open at night. Mossie blinds and iron grills.

And it’s that time of year when the odd cicada turns up and makes one hell of a racket.

Tashyboy

Please don’t ask to see my tatts 👍
Visit site
Young Bradley Tash has got a special mention this week at school in assembly. He is chuffed to bits. His first this year.
However another parent is complaining on the school Facebook page “ it’s always the same kids and never hers”. He school has politely replied that her son received an award in October.
She won’t let it go and says that what her son has a CBA attitude. The school has said there is over 60 kids in two classes and to get one is fantastic as not every kid will get one.
She is a miserable sod who always has a reason why life is crap for her. Single mother of two. Never done a days work and wants to be a social worker when her child goes to comp in September.

rudebhoy

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
Dropping the missus off at a friend's house this afternoon. It's a narrow street with cars parked on both sides of the road (it's a Victorian terrace, so no-one has a drive). I get halfway up the street, a car comes in the opposite direction.

I pull in as much as I can to let them pass, the woman driving just sits there and looks at me, then starts gesturing for me to go back. I do so, and get as tight as I can to the parked cars (there are no spaces). There is enough room for her to get through, but she sits looking at me for a couple of minutes, then eventually decides she can get through. As she passes, she rolls down her window. I'm expecting her to say thanks for making room for her, instead she launches into a tirade about how I should have waited at the bottom of the street, even though I couldn't see her coming from there. I just laughed and shook my head which annoyed her even more.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Walking in the chippy and she says “we’re just waiting for chips”
Which means greasy & under cooked 😔
Should it not mean 'fresh out?'. You're at the wrong chippy 😄

Mine, tesco clubcard. I don't have one, don't have a tesco nearby. I'm away for the weekend, nearest supermarket is a tesco. All the prices are inflated, but then discounted with a clubcard, which I don't have 😠

Wilson

Head Pro
Visit site
Dropping the missus off at a friend's house this afternoon. It's a narrow street with cars parked on both sides of the road (it's a Victorian terrace, so no-one has a drive). I get halfway up the street, a car comes in the opposite direction.

I pull in as much as I can to let them pass, the woman driving just sits there and looks at me, then starts gesturing for me to go back. I do so, and get as tight as I can to the parked cars (there are no spaces). There is enough room for her to get through, but she sits looking at me for a couple of minutes, then eventually decides she can get through. As she passes, she rolls down her window. I'm expecting her to say thanks for making room for her, instead she launches into a tirade about how I should have waited at the bottom of the street, even though I couldn't see her coming from there. I just laughed and shook my head which annoyed her even more.
We have the same out the back of our house, I’ve had to reverse two cars out as the drivers couldn’t, and I’ve also switched my engine off 3/4 of the way up the road when someone refused to back up, they soon reversed when they realised I wasn’t going anywhere.

Pin-seeker

Visit site
Should it not mean 'fresh out?'. You're at the wrong chippy 😄

Mine, tesco clubcard. I don't have one, don't have a tesco nearby. I'm away for the weekend, nearest supermarket is a tesco. All the prices are inflated, but then discounted with a clubcard, which I don't have 😠
I like my chips to have been out of the fryer & sat drying & crispy.
You really can’t shop at Tesco without a club card,it’s extortionate.