Random Irritations

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
What sector is this?

Service control on the underground, we have a real problem getting trainees to pass.

They opened up the training to more people (used to have to hold certain licences to have background knowledge) which is great imo because some people can do it without that knowledge however we now get more people who can't do it who just see the wage and think "I'll go for it" a lot return to their old role because they don't want the responsibility or stress.

We also have weird recruitment with competency based interviews which people can't get through (the right people) so they don't get to try for the role on the desk .

I think we are trying to move to scenario based interviews which imo test more how good someone will be at the job rather than competency based which just is who can lie the best to make themselves sound good.

I wish we would do another direct recruit ex forces campaign, that was very successful as they have the skills required. I mean we have an ex navel officer and ex navy air traffic control with us and they took like a duck to water.

Neilds

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Yes. However it's a high failure rate. Like i said we had 4 trainees and only 1 is passing the others are long gone

Group before that was 2 trainees one passed

Group before that 3 trainees 1 made it.

Recruitment from outside is a lot harder though as direct recruits take longer to train and have an even higher learning curve as they have no foundation knowledge or understanding of their actions.
Sounds like one of the root causes is the training course/trainers. Can’t just blame the applicants if loads fail.

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Sounds like one of the root causes is the training course/trainers. Can’t just blame the applicants if loads fail.

Could be, however the trainees need to demonstrate they can work on their own

The trainer can only do so much to guide them

It is definitely sink or swim after that , one of the ones who walked last he could do it. We all thought he would be fine but when it came to doing it without a trainer first incident he was like a deer in the headlights , got scared and left. We tried to talk him round

It's not for everyone

In a way it's like golf, the trainer (the pro) can try all different ways to get someone to do something, they on a lesson will be fine. But out on the course? Different story

3offTheTee

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Went to watch "Bouncers" in Bowness last night. Took 25 minutes to find a parking slot. Cannot class it as a show. We arrived 10 minutes late and said to Mrs 3OTT after 5 minutes are we leaving? She thought I was joking. I was not!

We both like Little Britain, Catherine Tate sketches but this was not funny, vulgar in parts and pleased we left at the interval.

Neilds

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Went to watch "Bouncers" in Bowness last night. Took 25 minutes to find a parking slot. Cannot class it as a show. We arrived 10 minutes late and said to Mrs 3OTT after 5 minutes are we leaving? She thought I was joking. I was not!

We both like Little Britain, Catherine Tate sketches but this was not funny, vulgar in parts and pleased we left at the interval.
Seen it twice years ago in Barnsley . Was when we went round town most weekends so could relate to the references and local bars. Going to see it next month in Bath so will be interesting to see if we still recognise the topics

Hobbit

Mordorator
Visit site

It is definitely sink or swim after that , one of the ones who walked last he could do it. We all thought he would be fine but when it came to doing it without a trainer first incident he was like a deer in the headlights , got scared and left. We tried to talk him round

It's not for everyone

In a way it's like golf, the trainer (the pro) can try all different ways to get someone to do something, they on a lesson will be fine. But out on the course? Different story

Sometimes it’s the pressure of critical situations or just that a mistake could be catastrophic. One of the product lines I serviced when I was still on the tools was emergency care(A&E) and critical care(ICU) ventilators. I’ve seen very good engineers come into the business, end up on the sick with stress and leave. Some just couldn’t walk away from a ventilator they’d just serviced.

The maxim that was spoken about on training courses was “don’t walk away if you wouldn’t be confident putting your wife/daughter/son on it.”

Some people just can’t hack the pressure.

Neilds

Assistant Pro
Visit site

It's not for everyone

So no mentors/buddies when they finish training? Are they just thrown into it? Just because you are trained and have done a course doesn’t mean you are fully competent and ready to go

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
So no mentors/buddies when they finish training? Are they just thrown into it? Just because you are trained and have done a course doesn’t mean you are fully competent and ready to go

No they don't make the training.

Stage 1 your trainer is next to you , you ask questions

Stage 2 your on your own but trainer in the corner listening to your calls

You can talk theory as much as possible but everyone reacts different when the mayday comes in and "controller I have a person under my train"

I didn't sleep after my first one

Golfmmad

Tour Winner
Visit site

It's not for everyone

I'm really pleased that with the responsibility and stress it weeds out people that are just not up to the job. Safety must be paramount and you surely cannot afford to take chances.
Reminds me of when one of my golf buddies was training as a train driver. He showed me one of the manuals he had to study - it was like war and peace! And he said that's not the only one!

Golfmmad

Tour Winner
Visit site
Just been measuring up in the bedroom for some new blackout blinds, one of the windows is too far out of square to suit the blinds I want :mad:
Are you planning to fit them inside the recess.?
For blackout blinds it's far better to fit outside recess. This eliminates less light penetration as you can cover all of the window plus approx 4 inches either side. 👍

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I'm really pleased that with the responsibility and stress it weeds out people that are just not up to the job. Safety must be paramount and you surely cannot afford to take chances.
Reminds me of when one of my golf buddies was training as a train driver. He showed me one of the manuals he had to study - it was like war and peace! And he said that's not the only one!

It's also getting the trainees to understand their actions can land them in court for manslaughter, my colleague was interviewed under caution 2 years ago after someone jumped as in their opinion the traction current was too slow to go off. He had to justify his actions

Same last year with the train that's windows got smashed because of the brake dust coming into the train and customers panicked and thought fire with all those builders smashing the windows (which really didn't help the situation) another colleague had the railway inspector interview.

Also the main skill the trainees just can't grasp is the service around the incident. No use dealing with the incident perfectly then letting all the other trains get stalled in tunnels behind causing more drama because they have failed to get a grip on the service.

Like I said it's not for everyone.

I'd like the training to give more bread and butter things because as I say to every trainee 90% of you who fail won't be because you mucked up an incident, it will be because you can't deal with the day to day little things like service recovery (back to timetable) post incident

Beezerk

Money List Winner
Visit site
Are you planning to fit them inside the recess.?
For blackout blinds it's far better to fit outside recess. This eliminates less light penetration as you can cover all of the window plus approx 4 inches either side. 👍

The ones I wanted were inside the recess with a sort of runner either side the blind slots into, I wasn't aware there were any that fitted outside the recess :unsure:

Golfmmad

Tour Winner
Visit site
The ones I wanted were inside the recess with a sort of runner either side the blind slots into, I wasn't aware there were any that fitted outside the recess :unsure:
Sounds like things have moved on since I was in the business 10years ago. Like a Velux blind which has a side and top track that the blind fits in?

Beezerk

Money List Winner
Visit site
Sounds like things have moved on since I was in the business 10years ago. Like a Velux blind which has a side and top track that the blind fits in?

They're called Blocout blinds, it's just like a roller blind but the sides fit in a runner/track thing. The website says there's a maximum 6mm tolerance between the top and bottom widths of the window, mine is nearer 25mm 🫣
They do an XL version that looks to be surface mounted but it's twice the price :oops:

chellie

Tour Winner
Visit site
I've two. British weather today so comp lol
They're called Blocout blinds, it's just like a roller blind but the sides fit in a runner/track thing. The website says there's a maximum 6mm tolerance between the top and bottom widths of the window, mine is nearer 25mm 🫣
They do an XL version that looks to be surface mounted but it's twice the price :oops:
Have you thought of trying a local blind company. Ones near us were as cheap as online but they did all the measurements.

Hobbit

Mordorator
Visit site

Mount the side runner on an angled/chamfered piece of wood. The wood will square up the drop.

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site

Have you tried blinds2go I did all my house with them. Look great and really well priced .