Random Irritations

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
some news outlets harping on that Kate Garraway might have to sell her £1.7M second home to cover the care for her late husband.

#preyforkate

Or the real issue is that the cost of the care was more than her salary

Maybe we as a society should be more outraged by the fact that someone earning a fair amount still can't afford to care for a loved one.

Pretty shocking the cost considering what she's been through aswell.

PNWokingham

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
You never, EVER, want to prod the council about your rating band. There is no chance it will ever be reduced even if it's clearly too high. The only possibility is that it will be increased.
Houses with extensions don't always get reassessed when they are sold. All you can hope is that it doesn't happen.

i did in my old house in 2007/8. There was a rule that you have to do it within a certain timeframe of moving. It was something like a year. I appealed and won. The house was built in the 90s. It was tricky and i did all the research i could on similar houses in the area showing the values of others in the G bracket that i was in and many others in F, lots of which were worth more than my house. I got a small rebate but the previous owners that had lived in in for circa 10 year got a multi-thousand pound rebate and came round and dropped off a than you card and a bottle of wine

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site

Maybe we as a society should be more outraged by the fact that someone earning a fair amount still can't afford to care for a loved one.

24 hour care at home with all the machinery that was required. That isn't going to be cheap. The care alone, never mind the equipment.

It shows what the cost of care is, how much the NHS protects us from this.

PaulMdj

Visit site

Or the real issue is those not being able to looked after their loved ones at home or being forced to sell their homes.

What she and her kids have gone through is awful and I wouldn’t wish it on anyone.

She said it cost £16,000 per month to look after her husband at home, 12 months at that is £192,000 per annum, she was on a salary of £546,000 from GMB alone, yes minus taxes etc. Plus her Rsdio show, book sales, other appearances

But might have to sell her 2nd home valued at £1.7 mil, nope she really shouldn’t be pleading poverty.

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Or the real issue is those not being able to looked after their loved ones at home or being forced to sell their homes.

What she and her kids have gone through is awful and I wouldn’t wish it on anyone.

She said it cost £16,000 per month to look after her husband at home, 12 months at that is £192,000 per annum, she was on a salary of £546,000 from GMB alone, yes minus taxes etc. Plus her Rsdio show, book sales, other appearances

But might have to sell her 2nd home valued at £1.7 mil, nope she really shouldn’t be pleading poverty.

But isn't that the case with everything, asset rich cash poor?

I mean if I lost my free childcare I'd be £300 a week worse off . On paper people would say but you can afford it but trying to find £1200 a month isn't particularly simple or easy

Don't we all just adjust to the income we receive?

Dando

Q-School Graduate
Visit site

I mean if I lost my free childcare I'd be £300 a week worse off . On paper people would say but you can afford it but trying to find £1200 a month isn't particularly simple or easy

you can always go on strike for another pay rise

Mudball

Assistant Pro
Visit site

Good for her for being successful

i find it odd that in this country we will pull successful people down - esp when they are hit by hard times. She may have a big house, royalty payment and getting a decent pay, but that does not mean she is rolling in it. Palliative care is expensive. One of the nursing homes around us charges 5k for 24x7 palliative care. If someone can afford it, it still is a big financial burden. The bigger Q then is, what happens if someone cant afford it. Do they take grandma on a boat and push her off Dover? No, it is immense psychological and financial outlay for everyone. (BTW, i say this as someone living with a cancer patient, so think before kicking me)

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
People who can’t or won’t empathise with others because they earn or have more money than them.

The politics of envy are strong in this country!

We are all guilty at times of looking at others and being jealous of what they have instead of being grateful for what we have.

I'm trying very hard to be more grateful for what I have as I'm blessed with my family. however it is hard at times

Neilds

Assistant Pro
Visit site

If you had watched any of the interviews Kate Garraway has done this week publicising the documentary, you will have seen/heard that she has not pleaded poverty and has said that she is, in fact, lucky that she was able to pay for the care herself. It is the press that is saying she will have to sell her 2nd home, not Kate herself.

But let's not let facts get in the way of internet outrage.

Fade and Die

Medal Winner
Visit site
Part of the problem here is the media though. Why is this anywhere near headline news or any published media, we should have better things to report on.
It’s a double edged sword though isn’t it? KG courted the press during her husbands illness, made documentaries and generally gave the press access all areas. No surprise they would splash this all over the news.
Maybe it’s just more publicity before the release of another book?

BiMGuy

LIV Bot, (But Not As Big As Mel) ?
Visit site
If you had watched any of the interviews Kate Garraway has done this week publicising the documentary, you will have seen/heard that she has not pleaded poverty and has said that she is, in fact, lucky that she was able to pay for the care herself. It is the press that is saying she will have to sell her 2nd home, not Kate herself.

Probably just one of many who hasn’t looked at the details, just jumped on the bandwagon.

PaulMdj

Visit site

Like I said absolute sympathy for the poor woman and her kids, it’s the poor poverty me that I find frustrating!

I don’t know if you watched the programme, but the other people trying to cope highlighted more of the issues to me.

We looked after the M-in-Law for 4 years at home when she was terminal with cancer, never received a penny, never asked for a penny, we simply did the best we could, we asked for one thing from Social Care and that was for an Occupational Therapist to visit to advise on aids for the bathroom, it was refused on the grounds we had both a bath and a shower!

Her husbands health should of and did come first and if she has to sell a 2nd home then crack on!

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
It’s a double edged sword though isn’t it? KG courted the press during her husbands illness, made documentaries and generally gave the press access all areas. No surprise they would splash this all over the news.
Maybe it’s just more publicity before the release of another book?

Courted the press or her way of dealing with the situation? Can't have been nice

PaulMdj

Visit site
Good for her for being successful

i find it odd that in this country we will pull successful people down - esp when they are hit by hard times. She may have a big house, royalty payment and getting a decent pay, but that does not mean she is rolling in it. Palliative care is expensive. One of the nursing homes around us charges 5k for 24x7 palliative care. If someone can afford it, it still is a big financial burden. The bigger Q then is, what happens if someone cant afford it. Do they take grandma on a boat and push her off Dover? No, it is immense psychological and financial outlay for everyone. (BTW, i say this as someone living with a cancer patient, so think before kicking me)
Absolutely not pulling her down for being successful, good on her, she will still grieving and hopefully comes through the other side unscathed.

I just don’t have much sympathy for the 2nd home issue.

PaulMdj

Visit site

But it’s ok for you too judge me?
I have watched the programme, I have watched the interviews, but telling us in the programme she is £500,000 - £800,000 in debt is, imo, pleading poverty, they chose to go to Mexico for treatment etc,