Random Irritations

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
What is it with some elderly…adamant that they do things their way, despite everything they are told or advised. 🙄
If you ever find the answer to this question, or more importantly, how to get them to listen, please post it. I'm sure I and many others would love to know. So frustrating. Enjoy your night still (y)

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
If you ever find the answer to this question, or more importantly, how to get them to listen, please post it. I'm sure I and many others would love to know. So frustrating. Enjoy your night still (y)
My wife tends to think her mother forgets what she is told…I’m not so sure she forgets very much…other than at the moment she seems to have forgotten that I exist 🙄

And I’m sure I will…best seat in the house for the #1 Gabriel-era Genesis tribute band recreating The Lamb…tour show of 1974/75

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
What is it with some elderly…adamant that they do things their way, despite everything they are told or advised. 🙄

Maybe they don't like being told what to do.

My MiL (93 in May) broke her shoulder last week stumbling on her stairs, yes we are of course sympathetic to her predicament, but

And how did I know there would be a ''but''

Last edited:

RichA

Visit site
My MiL (93 in May) broke her shoulder last week stumbling on her stairs, yes we are of course sympathetic to her predicament, but this was through her own carelessness and disregard of what we have said to her - and it has to be said that that irritates for starters.

What compounds that irritation is that my Mrs is now stuck at her mum’s until care we’ve organised for her turns up, and that’s not until Saturday earliest. Means we can’t go up London on Friday as we had planned; go to the gig lad is working on in the Hammersmith Apollo, and have dinner and a nice overnight stay. Just the way it has to be, but really irritating and disappointing as my Mrs was really looking forward to meeting up with our lad especially.

Silver lining? I‘ll still go up for the gig. Lad is booking a twin hotel room for us in London, and so we’ll have time together and travel home on the Saturday…he’s got a couple of days off from the tour he’s on and fancies a day or two at ‘home’, maybe meet up with a mate or two. Mrs will come with me to the gig when the tour gets to Portsmouth in 10days time.

My Dad is like this. He doesn't have dementia but he is old and forgets stuff. My sisters share your lack of empathy and that is what irritates me.

Whereditgo

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
My MiL (93 in May) broke her shoulder last week stumbling on her stairs, yes we are of course sympathetic to her predicament, but this was through her own carelessness and disregard of what we have said to her - and it has to be said that that irritates for starters.

What compounds that irritation is that my Mrs is now stuck at her mum’s until care we’ve organised for her turns up, and that’s not until Saturday earliest. Means we can’t go up London on Friday as we had planned; go to the gig lad is working on in the Hammersmith Apollo, and have dinner and a nice overnight stay. Just the way it has to be, but really irritating and disappointing as my Mrs was really looking forward to meeting up with our lad especially.

Silver lining? I‘ll still go up for the gig. Lad is booking a twin hotel room for us in London, and so we’ll have time together and travel home on the Saturday…he’s got a couple of days off from the tour he’s on and fancies a day or two at ‘home’, maybe meet up with a mate or two. Mrs will come with me to the gig when the tour gets to Portsmouth in 10days time.

I wouldn't have made it through the first few years of life had it not been for my mum looking after me. Having had children of my own I know that there are innumerable times when good advice is not taken.

So now that mum is older and needs some care from me, I have no problem whatsoever in being patient and understanding of the fact that she wants to retain her independence as much as possible and will occasionally make mistakes and need my help.

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
The British legal system.

I'm with the wife today to support her to give evidence in a trail, won't go into detail that's not the reason

Been here 3 hours just been told it might be postponed because defendants lawyers are claiming they got confused in their diary with another case of his .. and this is exactly why he never ends up off the streets as witnesses get mucked about and aren't willing to come back

Was told we were first witness and would be done by 11 but obviously was incorrect

We know what to expect next time but it is a bit of a joke

Remand him in custody.. I reckon then he would suddenly want the case to go ahead

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
I wouldn't have made it through the first few years of life had it not been for my mum looking after me. Having had children of my own I know that there are innumerable times when good advice is not taken.

So now that mum is older and needs some care from me, I have no problem whatsoever in being patient and understanding of the fact that she wants to retain her independence as much as possible and will occasionally make mistakes and need my help.
We are very patient and understanding - and the context of the family and her home situation are much more complex than I will discuss on here - we have been caring and ‘caring’ for her (and my wife’s brother who is currently undergoing radiotherapy and chemotherapy for two different cancers) for over 18months.

This weekend was to be a bit of respite for my wife as she is absolutely knackered. The irritation is that my MiL just does not listen as she is always right, and went on to do something that was frankly pretty silly and totally unnecessary that resulted in a slip and a broken shoulder.

RichA

Visit site
If you only knew.☹️
If I only knew what?
With a 91-year old father living 130 miles away and a MiL with dementia living 100 miles away I do have some grasp of the difficulties of providing care and support for an elderly person.
MiL has lost the right to make all her own decisions due to her reduced mental capacity.
Dad is old but dementia free. That means he is free to make his own decisions and mistakes, even if they inconvenience his children. All decisions and actions have consequences, but it's his life. It can be brutal but sometimes you have to allow people the opportunity to fail rather than controlling them.

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
The idiot delivery driver , who left both front gate and side gates wide open this morning. Wife was in didn't knock just took it round the back and stuck in the greenhouse and no note though the door, I doubt he even bothered. Anyway, wife let the dog out without realising tye side gate was wide open. Rupert decided to have a wonder, was gone for half an hour, luckily a neighbour down the road spotted him out and brought him back

Patster1969

Assistant Pro
Visit site
walking to the station at 6am and almost getting knocked over by an idiot on an electric scooter.

people who use them on roads with no lights really are a skid mark on the underpants of society
It does seem that any idiot can hire them as well - was in London over the weekend and a couple had hired them. The guy was whizzing around on the pavement but the girl had absolutely zero control or balance - she narrowly missed a few people and took herself out around a lamppost

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
I really do wish that those who choose to judge and perhaps to criticise would stop for a second and THINK before posting their thoughts on what I have said is an irritation to me.

Making reference to their own experiences may be interesting and is certainly relevant to their own situation or indeed perhaps in more general discussions, but such comparisons are completely irrelevant in the context of a specific family situation.

Tashyboy

Please don’t ask to see my tatts 👍
Visit site
Online forms esp government forms. Fill them in online, then print them Off. Then stick in an envelope and bloody stick a stamp on and post it Off.
Sodding heck it’s 2023.

Transferring ISAS last week. Go into a bank and transfer ISAS to a better rate. Sign forms to say you need X amount left in old ISA coz you need the Brass and they then transfer the lot. 😳😡😡😡😡😡😘
So this week we go into the bank and it says we cannot ring them coz there ain’t a phone line to head office “ but they are quick to respond to emails”.
What 🤬🤬🤬🤬🤬🤬🤬🤬🤬🤬🤬🤬🤬🤬🤬 it’s bloody 2023 and head office don’t have a phone to sort out there screw up.

WHS is fantastic compared to banks

PhilTheFragger

Provider of Entertainment for the Golfing Gods 🙄
Visit site
I really do wish that those who choose to judge and perhaps to criticise would stop for a second and THINK before posting their thoughts on what I have said is an irritation to me.

Making reference to their own experiences may be interesting and is certainly relevant to their own situation or indeed perhaps in more general discussions, but such comparisons are completely irrelevant in the context of a specific family situation.

If you are going to post stuff on a public forum, you must expect people to respond,
If you are going to get huffy about it, maybe think about what you are posting in the first place (y)

Bunkermagnet

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Online forms esp government forms. Fill them in online, then print them Off. Then stick in an envelope and bloody stick a stamp on and post it Off.
Sodding heck it’s 2023.

Transferring ISAS last week. Go into a bank and transfer ISAS to a better rate. Sign forms to say you need X amount left in old ISA coz you need the Brass and they then transfer the lot. 😳😡😡😡😡😡😘
So this week we go into the bank and it says we cannot ring them coz there ain’t a phone line to head office “ but they are quick to respond to emails”.
What 🤬🤬🤬🤬🤬🤬🤬🤬🤬🤬🤬🤬🤬🤬🤬 it’s bloody 2023 and head office don’t have a phone to sort out there screw up.

WHS is fantastic compared to banks
Try the online banks......so much easier and no phoning needed:)

Tashyboy

Please don’t ask to see my tatts 👍
Visit site
Try the online banks......so much easier and no phoning needed:)
Re the transfer of Isa, Missis T did one but you could not part transfer. So into the bank we went. From there it went belly up. Thing is it went from one account to another within the same bank. Even the girls that did it for us two weeks ago were at a loss as to why it went belly up 😖

Bunkermagnet

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Re the transfer of Isa, Missis T did one but you could not part transfer. So into the bank we went. From there it went belly up. Thing is it went from one account to another within the same bank. Even the girls that did it for us two weeks ago were at a loss as to why it went belly up 😖
The ISA's I have are cash ISA''s that allow monies in and out, not all ISA's do in the same way.

RichA

Visit site

I apologise if my comment caused upset. I tend to be sensitive to criticism of elderly people when they are trying to live a normal life. My father doesn't recognise that something as benign as trying to put his socks on without sitting down is, at 91, a high risk activity that could easily result in a life threatening fall. I can point it out as often as I like, but it's his life and I won't criticise him for living it as he chooses.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
I apologise if my comment caused upset. I tend to be sensitive to criticism of elderly people when they are trying to live a normal life. My father doesn't recognise that something as benign as trying to put his socks on without sitting down is, at 91, a high risk activity that could easily result in a life threatening fall. I can point it out as often as I like, but it's his life and I won't criticise him for living it as he chooses.
That’s OK. My MiL can do whatever she wants, and she does, but it is nonetheless irritating when things go wrong unnecessarily and despite everything that has been said, and it is incumbent upon us to sort things out. And of course sorting things out is fine and how it must be…but it does not make it less irritating when in this instance my wife desperately needs respite from caring, and as a result of what has happened won‘t get it.