Random Irritations

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
If you are going to post stuff on a public forum, you must expect people to respond,
If you are going to get huffy about it, maybe think about what you are posting in the first place (y)
Yeh…along the lines of ‘I understand…things can be difficult, frustrating and sometimes irritating when caring for our elderly’

Jamesbrown

Head Pro
Visit site
NHS upper levels folks getting expensive lease cars. Neighbour has a new Volkswagen ID5 electric........all through work. The last car was an Audi and a BMW before that.
Can’t everyone have a lease vehicle in the NHS? I assumed they could. I believe the police also have a scheme I think they’re both through Tusker and it’s a salary sacrifice.

Octopus do a scheme if your employer is willing to accept it. It’s a good employee benefit. Well was till the prices shot up because of interest rates.

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
Yeh…along the lines of ‘I understand…things can be difficult, frustrating and sometimes irritating when caring for our elderly’

Let me get this straight... you booked a mini break to go and see your sons gig, it will do your wife good as she's ''absolutely knackered''. But then your mother in law has a nasty fall, breaks her shoulder, but the silver lining is you still go to the gig and leave your knackered wife alone to care for her injured 93 year old mother?

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Dishwasher socket burnt out by looks , minor annoyance but nobody hurt

Suspect the smart plug didn't realise was 10amp, all the others are 16amp. Now in bin and new socket ordered

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Let me get this straight... you booked a mini break to go and see your sons gig, it will do your wife good as she's ''absolutely knackered''. But then your mother in law has a nasty fall, breaks her shoulder, but the silver lining is you still go to the gig and leave your knackered wife alone to care for her injured 93 year old mother?
Like I said…you don’t know the half of it and in such circumstances it is generally best to keep your own counsel.

But just for the sake of it let me see how it might work…I go to my MiLs so that my wife has a break and meet up with our lad…and at my MiLs I help her get out of bed, get washed, showered and dressed, and go to the toilet. Yes…that’s going to work just fine and dandy. I think the flaw in that approach is pretty obvious 😳.

Last edited:

Bunkermagnet

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Dishwasher socket burnt out by looks , minor annoyance but nobody hurt

Suspect the smart plug didn't realise was 10amp, all the others are 16amp. Now in bin and new socket ordered
Most times I see socket burnt it's because the pins of socket isn't grabbing the pins of the socket tight enough, vary rarely the plug (unless the plug wiring is loose inside). I always change the plug and socket, or advise on it.
Most European dishwashers now are shipped with a 10a fuse not 13a as they used to , but if the dishwasher was 16a it would need to be hard wired and not on the kitchen ring.

Fade and Die

Medal Winner
Visit site
Most times I see socket burnt it's because the pins of socket isn't grabbing the pins of the socket tight enough, vary rarely the plug (unless the plug wiring is loose inside). I always change the plug and socket, or advise on it.
Most European dishwashers now are shipped with a 10a fuse not 13a as they used to , but if the dishwasher was 16a it would need to be hard wired and not on the kitchen ring.

Given that Paul is a fan of the “tech” I Suspect he is using something like this…

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/29540275...624&ssuid=&var=&widget_ver=artemis&media=COPY

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site

Thanks, will look. The dishwasher is old , but so is the socket

PXL_20230208_213353303_copy_1024x1365.jpg

That is the socket in question, I only noticed because the smart plug had failed. (Its got same marks around the neutral) dishwasher plug is fine because it was in the smart plug not the socket

I've got a new socket coming

Given that Paul is a fan of the “tech” I Suspect he is using something like this…

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/29540275...624&ssuid=&var=&widget_ver=artemis&media=COPY

Almost yes, concept is spot on but a lot smaller. Anyways it was rated 10amp I didn't click as there same size and shape as My other ones which are 16amp so wrongly assumed was same . Looks like it's overloaded that and cracked my wall socket

I'm working all day today so tomorrow I'll have a look behind it and see if any wire damage

Before I left for work this morning I washed up the bottom layer of the dishwasher and wife done top this morning so hopefully just today out of action and back tomorrow

If it's too complex my sparky mate is free Monday and will come look

@Bunkermagnet when we do have the kitchen redone I want things like this hard wired with the fuse controls above the counter aswell

I went round and took the tumble and the washing machine off their smart plugs last night. They were on 16amp ones but as I don't need the control to turn off anymore as kids are past turning it on phase I was just monitoring usage so no real loss.

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
Like I said…you don’t know the half of it and in such circumstances it is generally best to keep your own counsel.

But just for the sake of it let me see how it might work…I go to my MiLs so that my wife has a break and meet up with our lad…and at my MiLs I help her get out of bed, get washed, showered and dressed, and go to the toilet. Yes…that’s going to work just fine and dandy. I think the flaw in that approach is pretty obvious 😳.

Who said anything about your wife going to the gig.
You both stay and help your MIL.
Your wife does the personal stuff while you support her and get the shopping, cooking and cleaning.
At least when your MIL is asleep, your wife will have someone to talk to.
It's not as if it's going to be months before you can see your son again.

Hobbit

Mordorator
Visit site
Your wife does the personal stuff while you support her and get the shopping, cooking and cleaning.

C’mon Bob, the gig doesn’t last a month. Surely everyone is entitled to a few hours break, or are you suggesting Mrs Hogie doesn’t have some downtime when Hogie’s there?

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
As I said…not half the stuff and it’s complicated. And of course we’ve discussed all you suggest.

rudebhoy

Q-School Graduate
Visit site

Give it a rest. Stick to telling people how to swing a golf club rather than telling them how to live their life.

NearHull

Visit site
Irritation, well perhaps more of a disappointment. Noticed the Energy Renewals thread had been bumped. Click on hoping that tariff choices may be coming back in and some competition forthcoming. Not yet!

Voyager EMH

Slipper Wearing Plucker of Pheasants
Visit site
Being reminded how utterly exhausting it was looking after my mum for the years up to her passing away in 2018 aged 93.
(Doc took my blood pressure as 99/69 at one point and I was in need of care)

EDIT: This is dangerously low blood pressure resulting from slow build-up exhaustion.

Praise, encouragement and best wishes from me to all who are going through it right now.

Last edited:

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Irritation, well perhaps more of a disappointment. Noticed the Energy Renewals thread had been bumped. Click on hoping that tariff choices may be coming back in and some competition forthcoming. Not yet!

wont be until at least april 2024 ive heard, thats because gov help means they all have to be flexible until it ends. so that when the price is high the gov pays more and low they pay less but we pay the same (whatever amount announced for each period)

thats due to end in 2024 and ive heard from people who know that kind of thing that hedging will start again and fix deals should return

venger

Visit site
The idiots who ring up your workplace and complain that rules/regulations and all their stuff is missing. When asked "did you read the letter that was sent to you or read the signs in the grounds about the change" they say "I did but I thought that it didn't apply to me" or even better "I don't read any of the signs here, I do what I want"

Golfmmad

Tour Winner
Visit site
If you are going to post stuff on a public forum, you must expect people to respond,
If you are going to get huffy about it, maybe think about what you are posting in the first place (y)
That's a bit harsh Phil. I think SILH had every right to feel aggrieved by what was posted.
I fully understood where he was coming from and certainly wouldn't judge him or the situation he finds himself in.