Playing golf on your own

MrC

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Hi all

I am about to join a club. Due to the current situation I am going to be playing mostly on my own.

I am happy with this and looking forward to when we have a vaccine etc.

But in the mean time any tips for playing on my own?

Not sure whether to keep score, practice, hit 2 balls.... I want to keep it relevant and track my play and hopefully improvements

C

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Best tip for me would be to join up with someone else so that you dont have to play on your own, others may have better :)

Good luck with the new club, where have you joined?

Reactions: MrC

golfbluecustard

Head Pro
Visit site
I've happily played alone but just little loops of holes, off peak, happy to just take one drive then maybe two shots into the green, play the best or worst one, or the one I can find !

Not sure going out for 18 at peak time, when I'd be catching up 2 and 3 balls would be for me though.

Good luck with the new club

GBC

hairball_89

Club Champion
Visit site
Golf is the easiest part of life to social distance in. Sign yourself up to some comps/roll ups and get to know people.

If you *must* play on your own, 2 balls is a good shout. Matchplay against the course is always good too.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
If you intend to play 2 balls make sure your club allows it.

Most clubs ban practising on the course.

Ours allows 2 balls but you must play the course as set out playing one ball against the other.

MrC

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Best tip for me would be to join up with someone else so that you dont have to play on your own, others may have better :)

Good luck with the new club, where have you joined?

I’m going mattishall. This year has been a write off and until we get a vaccine i am limited what I can do so it suits me. Seems a really nice place in terms of the club and although it’s 9 holes it will enable me to play when I can

MrC

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I've happily played alone but just little loops of holes, off peak, happy to just take one drive then maybe two shots into the green, play the best or worst one, or the one I can find !

Not sure going out for 18 at peak time, when I'd be catching up 2 and 3 balls would be for me though.

Good luck with the new club

GBC

Thanks - I will be avoiding peak times. Likely to be late afternoon whilst the light is there

MrC

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Apart from comps I play a lot on my own, mostly quick 9 holes.
I always have 1 ball in play which I am counting my round on, and I hit a lot of provisionals to see if something else would have been a better shot. Like a chip and run versus a flop shot, or hard PW vs soft 9i.

That sounds perfect. Keep the round score but try stuff. Best of both worlds

MrC

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Golf is the easiest part of life to social distance in. Sign yourself up to some comps/roll ups and get to know people.

If you *must* play on your own, 2 balls is a good shout. Matchplay against the course is always good too.

It’s a deal I have done with the family as we are being extra cautious. So until next season it will be golf on my own or maybe with one or two others but in a controlled manor rather than interacting with people in comps etc

BubbaP

Occasional Player of Golf
Visit site
I play on my own a bit, tend to mix it up. Sometimes try and focus/play like a comp (as already said matchplay against course is an option). Sometimes more practice focused, maybe different strategies on some holes. Replaying some putts, chips and the odd shot.

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I love social golf, but do play a bit on my own.
I use a white and a yellow ball , fade the white draw the yellow.
White low yellow high shots.
All off tee as my club only permits one shot to the green. Play the best drive but shape it according to colour.

MrC

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I love social golf, but do play a bit on my own.
I use a white and a yellow ball , fade the white draw the yellow.
White low yellow high shots.
All off tee as my club only permits one shot to the green. Play the best drive but shape it according to colour.

I can only dream of having that control of the ball. I nearly always play a fade (slice I call it) or a draw (hook) but I can’t tell you which one it is until I hit it

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I can only dream of having that control of the ball. I nearly always play a fade (slice I call it) or a draw (hook) but I can’t tell you which one it is until I hit it
Well a bit more solo golf and you will have it on a string.
It just concentrates the mind.

Canary_Yellow

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I like playing solo off peak when the course is quiet.

I wouldn’t be so keen to do it in peak time, it wouldn’t be much fun playing at three or four ball speed on a packed course.

nickjdavis

Head Pro
Visit site
For a really tough solo game that will focus your concentration......play a two ball worse ball scramble!!

Hit two drives, pick the worst of them, hit two shots from that position, pick the worst of them....etc etc etc......depending on your handicap, bogey could be considered a very good score.

Its a real killer when you nail an approach to 5 ft and then realise it counts for nothing as you've still got to hit the shot again.

Obviously I don't endorse this mode of play for when the course is busy....but if its quiet and you've got the course to yourself its a mode of practice that delivers real pressure on your game.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
I enjoy playing solo rounds especially if I want to work on parts of my game. However as we're now forced to book tee times, the opportunity has almost disappeared unless I get one of the last blocks for the day to play nine holes as the club wants to utilise the limited spaces available and where possible has been asking solo players booking to join up to free a block.

shun_naka

Club Champion
Visit site
I end up going round quite a lot on my own as i'm new to my club (and area) and dont know that many members.

Its quite good, if its relatively quiet i'll play 2 balls, one as a serious test against the course and the other to try different things out. Plus as someone whos still relatively new to the game its great practice