Playing golf on your own

Grant85

Head Pro
Visit site
Hi all

I am about to join a club. Due to the current situation I am going to be playing mostly on my own.

I am happy with this and looking forward to when we have a vaccine etc.

But in the mean time any tips for playing on my own?

Not sure whether to keep score, practice, hit 2 balls.... I want to keep it relevant and track my play and hopefully improvements

C

I find it hard to maintain concentration playing on my own. Especially if there are groups of 3 or 4 in front, you will be waiting on a LOT of shots. I'd hate this to be my 'main' way of playing and would always try and meet up with people, even if I don't know them.

But when I do, I usually play 1 ball from the tee and might drop a second as an approach or around the green.

But I have my doubts as to how effective this is as a way of practising and for me it's more of getting some steps in and just playing a few holes when I go out on my own.

For practice to be effective, I'd say you have to measure success and put pressure on the practice. Hitting 4 or 5 chips from the same spot to the same green doesn't replicate real play where you get one go at the chip, and probably won't have another shot the exact same as that the whole round.

It's not easy but you have to find a way of practise increasing your skill base, whether that is practising something you've seen on youtube or something you've seen in a lesson.

badgermat

Club Champion
Visit site
I prefer playing on my own. No worries about your partner's pace, no awkward conversation and no pressure.

If you catch up with the group in front (and you will), just play a second ball for practice (ie, score your first and play the second to learn from the first ball mistakes).

If you don't catch up, enjoy 18 holes in a meditative 2 hours, result.

bm

trevor

Head Pro
Visit site
I’m happy going out on my own as long as it’s not too busy. Vary what I play but I never score or even think about it. Might play 2 off the tee, drop one along the way or throw one into a bunker. I just like hitting balls. I too am fairly new into a club and now the roll ups have stopped find it’s not easy getting a casual game as everyone has gone back to playing with their mates.

Bunkermagnet

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I hate playing solo, but tbh in the current situation where everything is bookings at 10 minute intervals it should be easier to find a group who aren’t a 4 ball and add your name to the group. It’s almost the easiest way to meet new members.
If you are playing solo, be careful about playing more than the 1 ball because if you start taking 2 divots side by side they will probably be noticed, which is why many clubs don’t allow “practising” on the course:)

Chico84

Visit site
I enjoy playing on my own but the hardest thing I find is not having anyone else to see where my ball went. Especially tricky if you’re playing in the evening with the sun lower in the sky.

ScienceBoy

Money List Winner
Visit site
I used to do it after work, go down for 6-9 holes on a summer evening. IMO that is one of the key benefits of a membership as to do that at a 9 hole course adds up very quickly!

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Whenever I play on my own I never putt properly for some reason. It's like I can't be bothered. I just rush it and tap it up towards the hole and give myself a generous gimme and walk off. No idea why I do that but it always goes that way. I guess it's because there's absolutely zero riding on the putts so I just can't concentrate on it.

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Whenever I play on my own I never putt properly for some reason. It's like I can't be bothered. I just rush it and tap it up towards the hole and give myself a generous gimme and walk off. No idea why I do that but it always goes that way. I guess it's because there's absolutely zero riding on the putts so I just can't concentrate on it.
I am just the opposite I spend time putting on the greens.
This stops me catching the games ahead of me and I just play at their pace.
Chipping and putting are important so I do a lot of it .
Not so much long game practice now the body can’t take it.

GG26

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Our course allows a solo player to play two balls and I did this a fair bit when I started out. These days I prefer playing alongside others, but if the course is quiet I don’t mind going out on my own.

LincolnShep

Head Pro
Visit site
I don't like playing on my own - and practising in general! I just lose concentration unless there's some element of competition - however minor - my solo golf is terrible as a result.

Sats

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
I met a new friend recently - our pro asked my friend and I if a new member could come out with our 2 ball to get another card for his handicap. Lovely bloke, good laugh so swapped numbers and since then he's become a regular in our group. I hope you make some new friends. I found entering comps a good way to get to know people.

Griffsters

Hacker
Visit site
If I play on my own its always very early or very late when the course is quiet. Nothing worse than being stuck behind a load of 3 or 4 balls, may as well not bother.

However, I love it. Its great for just playing shots or trying new swing thoughts or focus etc. Try to resist the urge to improve lies or make it easy tho - that is the path to zero improvement.

Crow

Crow Person
Visit site
I used to enjoy a solo round in the evening when the course was quiet but since Coronavirus there are a lot more people playing late afternoon and evening and it doesn't work on a busy course.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
I used to enjoy a solo round in the evening when the course was quiet but since Coronavirus there are a lot more people playing late afternoon and evening and it doesn't work on a busy course.

Me too especially after a busy day in work as it was a good way to fee the head. However as we now have booked tee times until 7.00pm and these tend to be booked there isn't always a chance to nip out in the evening anymore

D

Deleted member 23344

I never play on my own in the UK, but often do on holiday ... I get a pass from the missus for a day and hire a set. So far, I have played alone in Portugal, Madeira and three of the Canary Islands. A couple of times I was paired up, which is fine too.

shun_naka

Club Champion
Visit site
im a bit confused about what is defined as practicing on course generally. Is everytime we go round when not in competition practicing? or is it strictly taking 2/3 chips from the edge of the green etc

davidy233

Tour Rookie
www.davidyoungphoto.co.uk
Me too especially after a busy day in work as it was a good way to fee the head. However as we now have booked tee times until 7.00pm and these tend to be booked there isn't always a chance to nip out in the evening anymore
We've got booked tee times till 8pm - but there are nearly always spaces in the evening - ta for the reminder I've just snagged a time to have a wander around on my own tonight.

I like a round on my own - at my home course I will usually play one ball to keep a score and on the odd hole also hit another off the tee with an iron to give myself a different shot and to get the irons grooved in. Few chips, putts and bunker shots if there are three and four balls around me. Just a nice walk with a bit of golf involved and nobody else to worry about.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
I enjoy playing by myself - do it a lot of an evening. Just to switch off - and if I hit a rubbish one - not get irritated but just chuck another one down and try again.

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
im a bit confused about what is defined as practicing on course generally. Is everytime we go round when not in competition practicing? or is it strictly taking 2/3 chips from the edge of the green etc
We can hit two off the tee but only one ball to the green.
Chipping around the greens is ok