Pro Tips for a 36-Hole Match?

Backache

Assistant Pro
Visit site
To me having lunch between rounds serves as a social function as well as nutrition, which is partly what I enjoy.
It is difficult to conceive how a light lunch is deleterious to performance. I have certainly never noticed it.

Voyager EMH

Slipper Wearing Plucker of Pheasants
Visit site
To me having lunch between rounds serves as a social function as well as nutrition, which is partly what I enjoy.
It is difficult to conceive how a light lunch is deleterious to performance. I have certainly never noticed it.
Who made any statement regarding the taking of lunch to be deleterious? I certainly did not.
You cannot rest during your rounds.
You have an opportunity to rest between rounds.
The rest between rounds can be beneficial.
Maximise that beneficial aspect.
Concentration and physical performance diminishes after a meal. It picks up again after a delay. This is not necessarily deleterious to performance, but it could be.
Avoid huge peaks and troughs by keeping a more stable level throughout the whole day.

Everyone please ignore me. I would be happy to have no one believe a word of what I'm saying.
All to my advantage that way.
No need to tell me that you think I'm talking rubbish either.

The OP asked for tips. I gave him mine. He is quite capable of making his own decision.
Don't waste your time on me. Help the OP out if you can.

Backache

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Who made any statement regarding the taking of lunch to be deleterious? I certainly did not.
You cannot rest during your rounds.
You have an opportunity to rest between rounds.
The rest between rounds can be beneficial.
Maximise that beneficial aspect.
Concentration and physical performance diminishes after a meal. It picks up again after a delay. This is not necessarily deleterious to performance, but it could be.
Avoid huge peaks and troughs by keeping a more stable level throughout the whole day.

Everyone please ignore me. I would be happy to have no one believe a word of what I'm saying.
All to my advantage that way.
No need to tell me that you think I'm talking rubbish either.

The OP asked for tips. I gave him mine. He is quite capable of making his own decision.
Don't waste your time on me. Help the OP out if you can.
I have no desire to stop you doing whatever you wish.
Different things suit different folk, my point being that for most folk a light lunch is unlikely to be deleterious to performance. Forgoing lunch altogether if it is not a strategy you are used to is possibly more likely to leave you feeling a bit short of energy if you are not accustomed to an alternative refuelling strategy.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
We're definitely going to have lunch I would say, but it's a fair point not to stuff my face with a burger and chips. A simple egg sandwich for a bit of protein will probably suffice.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Your overthinking , i don’t play 36 holes in a day anymore but when I did and a lot older than you are it’s not that tiring, especially the format your playing.

Your only actually playing the equivalent of one round maybe less, just walking a bit more.

Just start first round as normal and see where it takes you

Good luck
Definitely important to have a good start, in both rounds. We're giving them 7 shots, but only one of them appears in the first six holes. Then 4 in the second set of six holes.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
A pair of fresh socks and shoes a must for me. I also like to have a different shirt as well. Eat a little and often in both rounds and stay hydrated in both. Other than that play it as any other round of golf. Don't try to do anything different as its a final and as its two rounds you still have time to get back into it

Voyager EMH

Visit site
A pair of fresh socks and shoes a must for me. I also like to have a different shirt as well. Eat a little and often in both rounds and stay hydrated in both. Other than that play it as any other round of golf. Don't try to do anything different as its a final and as its two rounds you still have time to get back into it
I tend to have a 1ltr and a half-litre bottles of water and consume them little and often. Lunchtime two mugs of tea and some more water, then 1ltr of water during the afternoon is usually enough. About 4-5 pints of water throughout the day and tea at lunchtime. A pint of Doombar goes down really well when it is over.

Voyager EMH

Visit site
Crikey! Reading this thread, and some others on here, makes me glad I just see golf as a hobby to be enjoyed and don't take it too seriously :ROFLMAO:

#itsjustagame
I generally play golf for the good of my health - taking my health far more seriously than my golf - which is just a game as you say - my health is not a game.

Voyager EMH

Visit site
I really hope you do win. (y)

But if you don't, I'm also looking forward to a lengthy tale of woe about how it all went wrong. I sometimes read these out to my non-golfing wife who finds them thoroughly entertaining for some reason I can't quite fathom as she gets bored to tears if I do it about my games.
"Its the way you tell 'em", maybe. (y)

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Crikey! Reading this thread, and some others on here, makes me glad I just see golf as a hobby to be enjoyed and don't take it too seriously :ROFLMAO:

#itsjustagame
Honestly, I just love golf too much. Since Tuesday morning (since Monday was a bank holiday) this match is all I've been thinking about. 😅 I've even been to the driving range on Tuesday AND last night, twice in a week is unprecedented.

PaulMdj

Visit site
Stop over thinking it, you’re putting too much pressure on yourself.

Treat it as an 18 hole final and do your normal routine.

After 18 holes and knowing the score, do what you want, ie, relax, unwind for half an hour or whatever you feel you need.

Having a spare shirt won’t do any harm if needed, but other than that take your normal drinks/snacks etc for 2 18 hole rounds adding extra or removing stuff is just adding undue pressure.

It really isn’t much different to playing 18 holes for someone your age.

Most of all, ENJOY IT.

Doon frae Troon

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Don't feel under pressure to play well.
Just play your normal stuff and that should be good enough.

Keep supporting and encouraging your partner, don't look crestfallen if she hits a poor shot or has an unlucky break.
Take on water whilst playing especially the second round

Above all, don't be frightened to win.
Good luck have fun.

DeanoMK

Club Champion
Visit site
I've done the longest day challenge 3 times now, my key tips have already been mentioned but I do think they are the most important:

Fresh socks are a must, shoes not so much, but depends on the weather.
Drink lots of water
Eat well - healthy snacks are the best thing: protein bars, bananas, peanut butter sandwiches, nuts. Don't go with stuff that's too high in sugar, you want to try and keep your sugar levels fairly balanced.

But the main thing, enjoy it and don't get too far ahead of yourselves.