How is your relationship with golf?

PhilTheFragger

Provider of Entertainment for the Golfing Gods 🙄
Visit site
It’s a cruel game that kicks you in the nads when you are playing badly and kicks you in the nads when you are playing well (handicap reduction to make it harder)

I must be some sort of masochist coz I love it 🙄

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
I've gone from playing 4 or 5 times a week to maybe twice a month in the space of a year. I even had a weeks holiday at home last week and not only did I not play, it didn't even cross my mind until after. Work related to a certain extent, but the love has wained that's for sure. A few weeks ago a had an invite to play my favourite course, Muirfield. Made an excuse about being busy, previously I'd have been there in a shot.

GB72

Money List Winner
Visit site
I totally fell out of love with the game. Not the game itself, loved being out hitting a golf ball, but the attitudes and antiquated values had been grinding me down for years until I had eventually had enough. Not played more than the odd round for a few years now but I am just getting back to hitting a ball occasionally again on the local 9 hole course. The love may come back but much of that may depend on my finding the right environment.

Captain_Black.

Visit site
Do you play better or get more enjoyment playing a leisure round with your mates without putting a card in?

If you do?
Use that approach when you play a qualifier
I've started to do just that
It's amazing when you just clear your mind & think to hell with it, it is what it is.
Then go in the clubhouse for a few beers.
My handicap goes up & down, but I don't care.
Just play for the love of it.
If most of us played for a living, we would starve.

philly169

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I used to play weekly and loved playing comps, working hard on my swing and generally getting my HC down. Once we had our first kid I rarely played for a couple of years as I just didn't have time and the expense of a membership was impossible to justify, I missed it but got used to not playing. We've now got two, but they are 7 and 4, so starting to get some time back and have started getting back into it. My swing is still there and if anything I think I'm hitting it better and am more consistent, so that bit of time away has helped me.

I'm only playing social golf and corporate days, but enough to keep my appetite met - maybe back to a membership in a couple of years when I've successfully got the kids playing :D

Smoj

Visit site
Last year I joined a club for the first time, and played 3/4 sometimes 5 times a week, on my own and loved it.

I renewed my membership in April but I am starting to get bored, I'm nowhere near playing at least 1/2 of the rounds I played this time last year I play 1 or 2 games a week now, due to various things, one being the weather this year has been bad leading up to the summer and my route to the golf course used to take a 10-minute walk but building work has shut the walking route and has made it into a 25/30 minute walk and it is just too much makes it an all-day event now unless I go out very early. also this has nulled my practice, used to goto the range for 2/3 hours every sunday to work omn things, havnt been to the range in about 4 months now.

Last edited:

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Last year I joined a club for the first time, and played 3/4 sometimes 5 times a week, on my own and loved it.

I renewed my membership in April but I am starting to get bored, I'm nowhere near playing at least 1/2 of the rounds I played this time last year I play 1 or 2 games a week now, due to various things, one being the weather this year has been bad leading up to the summer and my route to the golf course used to take a 10-minute walk but building work has shut the walking route and has made it into a 25/30 minute walk and it is just too much makes it an all-day event now unless I go out very early.
Just sounds like burn-out. Most people aren't playing 5 times a week - you've bought and sold about 50 clubs in that time as well I think. You just need to settle back into a happy medium. I play once or twice a week, but even if I didn't have a Monday to Friday job and a little one, I don't think I'd want to play any more than 2 or 3 times in a week. As you say it is a long activity and a couple of times a week is plenty.

Smoj

Visit site
Just sounds like burn-out. Most people aren't playing 5 times a week - you've bought and sold about 50 clubs in that time as well I think. You just need to settle back into a happy medium. I play once or twice a week, but even if I didn't have a Monday to Friday job and a little one, I don't think I'd want to play any more than 2 or 3 times in a week. As you say it is a long activity and a couple of times a week is plenty.
no, you're completely right. but last year I had the enthusiasm to play a lot of golf, this year not so much, but I do like to play other local courses at least 2/3 times a month for a change of scenery and these are the rounds I enjoy the most, and it also helps where I work is very close to multiple courses so a round after work is always easy.
and yeah 😅 about the clubs, I'm a tinkerer, I've kinda calmed down and found what I want in my clubs now, but yeah I love the techology part of golf so I think even if I never play again I will still be a big gear head

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
One of the other changes/thoughts that I have had before my last sojourn at home is that I am thinking about giving up on comps. Nothing to do with the WHS and likelyhood of wining but (1) winnings have to go in in the pro shop and there is nothing I want or need related to the amount the winnings are like to be (I have nearly £50 in there which has been there for over a year and I still have a brand new waterproof golf bag bought with winnings about 5 years ago unused) (2) the club has increased the amount it takes out the kitty and in some comps it is hardly worth winning.

IanM

Journeyman Pro
www.newportgolfclub.org.uk
I'm playing fewer club competitions this year. Course is busier, rounds are slower and my mob have been teeing off increasingly early to manage it.

I can't be setting a 6.30am alarm to play.

I've played 27 different courses this year, a mix of being hosted and Opens. Having loads of fun. No stress golf.

Mandofred

Visit site
Currently half trying to join my old club to add to the one I'm at. Tired of driving 25 min to the current course, the old course was about 7 min. Playing 4 or more times a week at the current course is too much driving for me. If I add the old club I get my 4 times a week (2 rollups at the current club, and 2 small group rounds at the old club) all during the week and I can then avoid the weekend slower play. Not all that slow, but still a bit annoying. The old course also had a small practice field. I like practicing, I've only been playing since April not much of any practice. I had been going though a down period and was only playing once a week for a few weeks....it's starting to come back a bit now. Moving into a new house in a few days....and the house needs a LOT of work, so likely the golf will be put on the back burner for a few weeks.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
…it is like having a capricious lover…🤔🤷‍♂️😍
Either that or an abusive spouse. Some days she knocks you about and beats the crap out of you but gives you a small treat every now and then to make up for it - and you still say you love her anyway... can't leave her, you'd be no good on your own! 🥲

Last edited:

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
I'm playing fewer club competitions this year. Course is busier, rounds are slower and my mob have been teeing off increasingly early to manage it.

I can't be setting a 6.30am alarm to play.

I've played 27 different courses this year, a mix of being hosted and Opens. Having loads of fun. No stress golf.
6.30 alarm..?
I've often played 9 by then.... ;)

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
6.30 alarm..?
I've often played 9 by then.... ;)
6.30am I am usually arriving to spend ages stretching to get my back loose (for 9.30am tee). Actually arrived at Nailcote Hll around 7.00am on Monday as journey was quicker than expected and played a brisk 9 holes in no time at all with just the birds (and cows behind the 4th) for company

Neilds

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I have a very healthy relationship with golf. Play when I feel like, don't play when I fancy something else. Happy if I play well, not down if I play badly. Don't worry too much about my handicap and never fret about angle of attack, swing speed, carry distance, loft angle or shaft flex.

Not sure the same can be said about a lot on this forum who seem to have some very addictive tendencies ;)

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Way past worrying about the outcome. We do have a booby prize for the Sunday roll up group where you have to look after the winner, clear the glasses and get his winning round in while wearing the rosette of shame but even having that tag the other weekend isn't a big deal. Gives everyone a giggle and it'll be someone elses turn next time anyway so why stress playing badly

Backache

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I retired about a year and a half ago and am playing a lot more golf. I still really enjoy it and look forward to playing. Scoring well is a bonus, by and large I don't particularly mind not scoring well, that's golf, I have to confess though if you go round without hitting any good shots it can take away from the enjoyment a little, though about my worst round of the year was played in glorious warm sunny weather with a light breeze still loved it and had to laugh off the poor golf that day.