PGA Tour Dress code

Parsaregood

Head Pro
Visit site
Are you really not even 30?! Judging by your posts, you're actually this bloke:

jacob-rees-mogg.jpg
Tell you what he talks a lot of sense, I might be pretty traditional golf equipment and dress wise but I'm competitive and don't back down from a challenge

Parsaregood

Head Pro
Visit site
This is everything that is wrong with our game. 😂
I think your mistaken if you feel that's where golfs problems lie, people like to make issues out of nothing. If you join a club and it has these rules, either follow them or join a club that doesn't follow a dress code, it really is that simple. I happen to like a club that follows a dress code, I don't want to play somewhere where you can hang about in sweaty gym gear in the lounge, if i did id play somewhere like that

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
As someone who plays in shorts 12 months of the year I have some sympathy watching the Pro's in hot locations playing it trousers, I tried it, its not comfortable and actually looks weird and even out of place (saw a bloke at the club at the weekend in white trousers, maybe not quite pointing and staring but people will pass comment if you wear trousers & you'd better be able to hit it long and straight sporting those ;))

At club level I guess its just a different environment that'll determine whats appropriate but on PGA/ET tour level I still think its quite a way off before they permit players to have a choice
And maybe the sponsors have some input here too, do Rolex (insert many other brand names here) really want a pic of the next Rory McSpieth holding up the trophy sporting shorts or trousers, to use as they're next advert? So while high end brands like that are essential to the pro game, as sponsors they are not really suited to a relaxed/casual appearance

Although to counter myself, tennis seems to have overcome this but probably the change to shorts came before the big sponsors appeared

Bxm Foxy

Visit site
I think your mistaken if you feel that's where golfs problems lie, people like to make issues out of nothing. If you join a club and it has these rules, either follow them or join a club that doesn't follow a dress code, it really is that simple. I happen to like a club that follows a dress code, I don't want to play somewhere where you can hang about in sweaty gym gear in the lounge, if i did id play somewhere like that
I don't think anyone has said they'd flout rules. People have just said they find your attitude a bit archaic. It's gone on a bit long this thread really, but what I'd say to you, If people came in traditional golf attire, plus fours, shirt and tie, waist length jacket, hickory clubs etc, how would you view them?

D

Deleted member 16999

Again, for the last time! Nobody disagrees with complying with the different rules in regards clothing in different clubs, you expanded it to judgeing people off the golf course and brought how people dress in the workplace.
For 99% of the people on this forum, Golf is a leisure activity only, turning up to their club in whatever clothing they desire to get changed to go on the course shouldn’t be an issue, your place would turn them away or ask them to use side entrances! ie treating them as 2nd Class citizens.

Parsaregood

Head Pro
Visit site
I don't think anyone has said they'd flout rules. People have just said they find your attitude a bit archaic. It's gone on a bit long this thread really, but what I'd say to you, If people came in traditional golf attire, plus fours, shirt and tie, waist length jacket, hickory clubs etc, how would you view them?
I'd assume they played hickory golf which is quite popular and would probably ask to have a look or a shot of the clubs in all honesty. I'm not outdated atall,I used to race motocross bikes until about 5 years ago so if you know what that involves it's a pretty extreme sport.

Parsaregood

Head Pro
Visit site
Again, for the last time! Nobody disagrees with complying with the different rules in regards clothing in different clubs, you expanded it to judgeing people off the golf course and brought how people dress in the workplace.
For 99% of the people on this forum, Golf is a leisure activity only, turning up to their club in whatever clothing they desire to get changed to go on the course shouldn’t be an issue, your place would turn them away or ask them to use side entrances! ie treating them as 2nd Class citizens.
No it's not treating anybody differently, everybody who is a member knows what an acceptable dress is and is treated equally. If everybody shared your view so strongly, why are there still dress codes, why do courses with them still have lots of members

D

Deleted member 16999

No it's not treating anybody differently, everybody who is a member knows what an acceptable dress is and is treated equally. If everybody shared your view so strongly, why are there still dress codes, why do courses with them still have lots of members
No point in replying if you’re not reading posts!

Dibby

Assistant Pro
Visit site
What a fascinating read!

I've always been of the opinion that golf is way behind the curve when it comes to dress codes. However as the next generations of golfers become more athletic, golf will evolve and be more sporty in how people dress. It won't be overnight, but eventually, I believe it will get there. It's also puzzled me why so many people cling to traditional dress codes, graphite and titanium aren't really traditional golf club making materials, and unsurprisingly most golfers aren't playing with persimmon woods and hickory shafts, but somehow to a lot of people, it's inconceivable that the dress style becomes more modern.

Personally, I joined a golf club to play golf with other people who like golf, I don't care what they wear, what team they support, what their political leaning is etc.. I just like to play golf. I abide by the dress code of my club and the places I visit, because it's the right thing to do, but I don't really get it. Not sure why it should matter if my top had a collar or not, or what colour my socks are, but that's how it goes.

Off topic, I just yesterday had to do a mandatory training course about subconscious bias in decision making. I never expected to see examples that almost exactly matched the course material so soon!

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site

You've posted nearly 40 times on the subject of dress codes and as a collective I've rarely ready anything so elitist, snobbish and out of touch with the way a large proportion of clubs, including private member clubs like mine are addressing the subject of dress codes. The bit about being to differentiate between members and people coming off the street was particular forum gold.

The whole PGA thread has been totally hijacked and derailed by your views on the subject of dress codes. For the record, mine, along with the majority have very clear definitions of what can and can't be worn on the course and in the clubhouse and I'd expect members to adhere to that and the club staff to pull members and visitors up on anything that may not comply, but do so in a polite fashion and not the "dress code gestapo" that was prevalent in so many clubs until a few years back. At mine, jeans are more than welcome for members and visitors alike in the 19th and also for the record we have a lot of parents using our clubhouse while their kids are at the junior academy and some may even have jeans and trainers. Guess what, it's not the end of the world as we know it and the fact they may be buying drinks and food for the kids after means they are spending cash with us. What would you do? Banish them to their car and never see them or their kids again

I've often been accused of writing crap "to get the post count up" but with your 40 posts a day, mainly on this I've think you've raised the bar to a new level

Parsaregood

Head Pro
Visit site
You've posted nearly 40 times on the subject of dress codes and as a collective I've rarely ready anything so elitist, snobbish and out of touch with the way a large proportion of clubs, including private member clubs like mine are addressing the subject of dress codes. The bit about being to differentiate between members and people coming off the street was particular forum gold.

The whole PGA thread has been totally hijacked and derailed by your views on the subject of dress codes. For the record, mine, along with the majority have very clear definitions of what can and can't be worn on the course and in the clubhouse and I'd expect members to adhere to that and the club staff to pull members and visitors up on anything that may not comply, but do so in a polite fashion and not the "dress code gestapo" that was prevalent in so many clubs until a few years back. At mine, jeans are more than welcome for members and visitors alike in the 19th and also for the record we have a lot of parents using our clubhouse while their kids are at the junior academy and some may even have jeans and trainers. Guess what, it's not the end of the world as we know it and the fact they may be buying drinks and food for the kids after means they are spending cash with us. What would you do? Banish them to their car and never see them or their kids again

I've often been accused of writing crap "to get the post count up" but with your 40 posts a day, mainly on this I've think you've raised the bar to a new level
To be honest, post count you honestly think I give a monkeys about that ? I have an opinion on a subject, guess what it's a public forum I can express my view if I find there is another view that is different to my own, after all that's the point isn't it ? Our club is a private members club run as a business but not with the sole intention of making profit. If that's how your club does things great carry on.
As for being elitist, I've never read so much tripe, I drive a van everyday and regularly take my work van to the club, sounds pretty working class to me

Crow

Crow Person
Visit site

Well I must be elitist, snobbish and out of touch too then as I agree with much of what he's written. I like to look smart on and off the course, I don't always achieve this but that's the intention.

Why when there's a thread on dress code are the "traditionalists" always attacked so vociferously?

Both sides can be guilty of stating extremes of dress and membership to support their own argument.

In almost every dress thread, it's stated that you can join a club that fits your preferred style of dress, be that jeans and hoodies or traditional golf gear, why can't we just agree that this is the case and let each golfer join a club that suits their attire?
If a more relaxed approach is the general preference then those clubs will proliferate and traditional clubs will fade.

GreiginFife

Money List Winner
Visit site
You're aware nurses aren't allowed to wear earrings ?

This made me laugh, genuine laughter.

Doc: Right that's him sewn up.... eerrr...
Nurse: What's wrong doctor?
Doc: I think my tattoo fell off in there 🤣🤣...

I'm pretty sure we are safe from loose tatts in our small intestines for now.

Earrings... not so much.

It's good to laugh though.

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
To be honest, post count you honestly think I give a monkeys about that ? I have an opinion on a subject, guess what it's a public forum I can express my view if I find there is another view that is different to my own, after all that's the point isn't it ? Our club is a private members club run as a business but not with the sole intention of making profit. If that's how your club does things great carry on.
As for being elitist, I've never read so much tripe, I drive a van everyday and regularly take my work van to the club, sounds pretty working class to me

Dont be ridicules, as if you are allowed to have your own option on here:ROFLMAO::LOL:(y)

D

Deleted member 16999

Well I must be elitist, snobbish and out of touch too then as I agree with much of what he's written. I like to look smart on and off the course, I don't always achieve this but that's the intention.

Why when there's a thread on dress code are the "traditionalists" always attacked so vociferously?

Both sides can be guilty of stating extremes of dress and membership to support their own argument.

In almost every dress thread, it's stated that you can join a club that fits your preferred style of dress, be that jeans and hoodies or traditional golf gear, why can't we just agree that this is the case and let each golfer join a club that suits their attire?
If a more relaxed approach is the general preference then those clubs will proliferate and traditional clubs will fade.
I genuinely don’t believe anyone has attacked vociferously a “traditionalist”, to a poster everyone has agreed and stated they respect dress codes, what we have questioned is his judging of others and how they appear.
Turning people away or asking them to use side entrances when turning up at the Club has nothing to do with how’ll they dress for the clubhouse or the course.
It’s first impressions and treating everyone as equals, I’m the first to support maintaining standards and traditions, but that is done through politeness and education, not rudeness and impatience.

Parsaregood

Head Pro
Visit site
I genuinely don’t believe anyone has attacked vociferously a “traditionalist”, to a poster everyone has agreed and stated they respect dress codes, what we have questioned is his judging of others and how they appear.
Turning people away or asking them to use side entrances when turning up at the Club has nothing to do with how’ll they dress for the clubhouse or the course.
It’s first impressions and treating everyone as equals, I’m the first to support maintaining standards and traditions, but that is done through politeness and education, not rudeness and impatience.
I really don't see it being rude if a member turns up in clothing they know not to be accepted in the clubhouse so they use the side entrance directly in to the locker room and not going into the main club areas. I'd say this is a sensible and educated decision as they can cause minimal fuss and get changed into golf clothing.

Wolf

Visit site
This made me laugh, genuine laughter.

Doc: Right that's him sewn up.... eerrr...
Nurse: What's wrong doctor?
Doc: I think my tattoo fell off in there 🤣🤣...

I'm pretty sure we are safe from loose tatts in our small intestines for now.

Earrings... not so much.

It's good to laugh though.
I have to admit my Mrs asked what I was laughing at when I read it.

D

Deleted member 16999

I really don't see it being rude if a member turns up in clothing they know not to be accepted in the clubhouse so they use the side entrance directly in to the locker room and not going into the main club areas. I'd say this is a sensible and educated decision as they can cause minimal fuss and get changed into golf clothing.
Now you’ve changed to members turning up! I agree they should know better!
Wolf explained him turning up at his Club as a possible new member in his working Gym clothes and being welcomed, you said your place would turn him away!
Once again your back tracking.