Is this the future of dress codes?

Rooter

Money List Winner
Visit site
A My home club recently re-vamped their website, so i was having a mooch round it. We have a 9 hole "Academy" course (Previously, Newbury racecourse)

Anyway, on the write up of it, is this statement about dress code, which i think is very refreshing! What are your thoughts?

Dress Code

At the 9-Hole course we enjoy being able to offer a more relaxed dress code than that of the more traditional golf club. If you are new to the game of golf we would encourage you to come dressed in attire that is comfortable for walking and carrying a golf bag i.e., smart trainers, either long shorts or trousers and a loose fitting top. As you progress and start to play regularly you will probably want to invest in some specific golf shoes and perhaps even some of the latest golfing attire however feel welcome to be relaxed and unaffected by what you wear – we would rather you enjoy your new golfing experience than worry about the clothes you wear.

The only actual restriction is that we will not allow play in flip/flops or sandals.

Canary_Yellow

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
A My home club recently re-vamped their website, so i was having a mooch round it. We have a 9 hole "Academy" course (Previously, Newbury racecourse)

Anyway, on the write up of it, is this statement about dress code, which i think is very refreshing! What are your thoughts?

Dress Code

At the 9-Hole course we enjoy being able to offer a more relaxed dress code than that of the more traditional golf club. If you are new to the game of golf we would encourage you to come dressed in attire that is comfortable for walking and carrying a golf bag i.e., smart trainers, either long shorts or trousers and a loose fitting top. As you progress and start to play regularly you will probably want to invest in some specific golf shoes and perhaps even some of the latest golfing attire however feel welcome to be relaxed and unaffected by what you wear – we would rather you enjoy your new golfing experience than worry about the clothes you wear.

The only actual restriction is that we will not allow play in flip/flops or sandals.

Good for a beginners course. I'm not one to have an issue with golf dress codes so would be in no rush for it to be adopted more widely across all golf clubs. I like wearing golf attire to play golf.

User20205

Money List Winner
Visit site

Dress Code

Can't play in flip flops !!! No wonder golf if dying on its arse.

Who are those crusty fuddy duddys to tell me I can't play in a pair of thongs and a tight fitting wife beater?
They probably cost more than their footjoys anyway :rant:

Clubs need to move with the times !!!

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site

Dress Code

Sounds like a good positive move

Hacker Khan

Yurt Dwelling, Yoghurt Knitter
Visit site
It looks good to me. I like Troon Golf's dress code which admittedly is geared towards golf in the States, as it is a bit more 'humorous' and also people can wear more traditional golf attire if they want to (which let's be honest , most existing golfers still will, me included)

Socially accepted golf shirts are appreciated, but your comfort is most important. The nicer you look, the better you will play, so goes the rumor.
Shorts can be just about any style, but please do try to present the shorts at a length that everyone wants to look at. Gym shorts are for the gym, but if that makes you comfortable to play golf, we welcome you.

Jeans are allowed in all dining areas of the Club at ALL TIMES provided that the denim is not bib-style, tattered, frayed, excessively baggy or stained.
And commenting on the shorts thing they said: -

"Our code takes a lighter approach," "We caught flak over the gym-shorts thing. But let's face it: Ninety-nine-point-nine percent of people will wear appropriate attire. We can deal with the others on a one-off basis."

Would not work for every club in the UK, especially the very traditional ones with the heritage and tradition to go with it. But to me it would work at most clubs with a bit of tweaking to cover trousers instead of shorts.

Last edited:

Bazep

Club Champion
Visit site
It's about time GC's chilled out on dress codes on the course. Tbh, most of the folks I see on the course wearing "golf attire" look more underdressed than most big issue sellers I see. Happy witha dress code for a club house formal areas (if it's a trad club) with a more relaxed code for less formal areas. This is the 21st century.

Region3

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Can't play in flip flops !!! No wonder golf if dying on its arse.

Who are those crusty fuddy duddys to tell me I can't play in a pair of thongs and a tight fitting wife beater?
They probably cost more than their footjoys anyway :rant:

Clubs need to move with the times !!!

In Aus a lot of their websites specifically mention "no thongs".

I only found out just before I left that's what they call flip flops. :eek:

North Mimms

Tour Winner
Visit site
9 of Herts golf course near Rickmansworth has this comment about dress codes

Our innovative and modern approach to the great game of golf is demonstrated by our “feel free” philosophy….

Feel free to wear what you are comfortable in

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
I'd like to keep things fairly much as they are for say over 21s - but woulds relax it almost completely for under 21s when they are playing together - other than no football or rugby club tops.

Get youngsters playing and hopefully becoming members - and as they grow and mature in themselves, in golf and in the club - and through time play more comps with full/adult members (when they need to comply) their dress will evolve towards more standard golf attire. But at first don't put anything in their way in respect of what they wear.

Last edited:

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
Just as devils advocate

What is going to occur at the 9 hole course when a golfer plays with their shirt not tucked in that necessitates a ban of the same element of the dress code on the 18 hole course?

In short why differentiate

D

Deleted member 16999

Played in the Durham County Golf Union Div 3 Champs on saturday and arriving on the tee the 3 of us in our flight was giving a brief by the starter, one of the points was under EGU rules we were not allowed to wear shorts during the Comp, very odd especially as we were all stood there wearing trousers!

ruff-driver

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Anyone have the nads to wear these :D

IMG_1117.jpg