Is this the future of dress codes?

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
Just picked one of the more recent dress code threads

Was mooching around The Old Course website while the weather delay is on and found theirs...

I was expecting quite an explicit, detailed list, here it is in full:

Dress Code

Golfers should wear attire appropriate to the sport and clothing should not be scruffy or torn. The dress code in the clubhouses is smart/casual.

That is all

So why do some clubs feel the need for anything more than this?

Hacker Khan

Yurt Dwelling, Yoghurt Knitter
Visit site
Just picked one of the more recent dress code threads

Was mooching around The Old Course website while the weather delay is on and found theirs...

I was expecting quite an explicit, detailed list, here it is in full:

Dress Code

Golfers should wear attire appropriate to the sport and clothing should not be scruffy or torn. The dress code in the clubhouses is smart/casual.

That is all

So why do some clubs feel the need for anything more than this?

Seems a very sensible approach and one I've always advocated, treat people like adults.

Although one reason why The Old Course says this may be that they must get so many golfers visiting from overseas who have traveled 1000s of miles to play the course, having paid a significant amount of money to get there and play. And to have to tell them on the first tee that they can't play as their socks are not white may cause embarrassment on both sides. So they have a get out clause if someone turns up in jeans/flip flops or not in golf clothing, but other than that they possibly live and let live.