Is this the future of dress codes?

S

Snelly

Proper old school then. With the quality of courses in the area, I'm sure that must put people off joining.

Perhaps but it would attract as many as it would put off I would think.

Stupid to not allow lady members in my view but each to their own.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
If golf was invented today I am wondering what would determine clothing to be worn.

On the course I'm thinking comfort and suitability in adverse weather conditions - with probably few limitations other than a need to wear a defined 'uniform/strip' if representing your club.

Afterwards and in a 'clubhouse' environment? I suspect you'd be asked to change out of wet or dirty clothing so as not to damage or dirty furnishings, and also so as not to sit there 'steaming' and 'reeking' which isn't nice for anyone sitting or standing close to you. Specific special functions might well have a 'dress code'.

Other than that...?

alexbrownmp

Head Pro
Visit site
No thats true, i doubt there is anything to say that anywhere on a website, but its one of the rules of the club. We have a match against them as one of our guys became the sec.
No women members either, though they are allowed to play and its held the Curtis Cup.. which is more surprising than the J&T
I have played a few courses with this rule even for non members, I arrived at a 'well known' club on a hot summers day and was scolded, through the member, for arriving in the car park carrying my jacket.

I belonged to a male only GC once, didnt think anything off it until I joined a mixed club and found the distractions delightful especially following a 4 ball of the elite woman players

Hacker Khan

Yurt Dwelling, Yoghurt Knitter
Visit site
I completely agree with the above. It is the seeming need to subvert the dress code of a club just for the sake of it that I find mildly irritating.

Join a club that fits with your needs and abide by their rules.

On a slightly separate note, I cannot believe that the clothes you are asked to wear is a barrier to people taking up golf or joining golf clubs. This seems to be trotted out as an inevitable fact by many on this forum but I think it is complete nonsense. Unfounded and not true.

All sports have a certain kit that you need to wear. If you want to play golf, wear golf gear. Same goes for any other sport really.

http://www.golfclubmanagement.net/2014/07/dress-codes-golf-harmful-business-clubs/

http://www.todaysgolfer.co.uk/news-...vember/is-it-time-to-ditch-golfs-dress-codes/

http://www.greencast.co.uk/uk/news/general/news-2014/new-insights-to-boost-junior-golf.aspx

TheJezster

Tour Rookie
Visit site
If golf was invented today I am wondering what would determine clothing to be worn.

On the course I'm thinking comfort and suitability in adverse weather conditions - with probably few limitations other than a need to wear a defined 'uniform/strip' if representing your club.

Afterwards and in a 'clubhouse' environment? I suspect you'd be asked to change out of wet or dirty clothing so as not to damage or dirty furnishings, and also so as not to sit there 'steaming' and 'reeking' which isn't nice for anyone sitting or standing close to you. Specific special functions might well have a 'dress code'.

Other than that...?

That's probably about right actually silh, cant fault your reasoning behind that at all. Which despite our actual dress code is pretty much how we adopt things now at our club.

Regarding the dirty clothes, our clubhouse isnt big enough to have a seperate spike bar, so we have wooden flooring for half of it, then the rest is carpeted. We always used to have a rule "no red on the carpet" (ie: dont sit there in your playing clothes). Due to the room being busy we changed it about 18 months ago to let people sit in the carpet area in their 'red' if the wooden floor area was busy (it's all one room, you wouldnt know the difference unless you looked at the floor). Obviously dont sit there in wet dirty clothes tho, thats not fair on anyone.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Ans I'm, wondering why a dress code came in in the first place. Well reading old stuff about this it appeared that back in the day (19th century) golfers were often the tattiest sports folk about. Besides golf courses weren't the manicured beasts they are today.

Of course that may have been a relative observation based by middle-class and well-to-do given that on the public golf course they'd be mixing with the hoi polloi - and that group of golfers would have certainly not have owned clothes for sport - their only alternative being their sunday suit. And so maybe the cry came out for golfers not to look so tatty on the golf course and all were persuaded to wear their best clothing. I might suggest that if all dressed similarly to a standard, then there would be nothing externally obvious marking out the poorer man from the richer man - golf being an egalitarian sport to be played by all - for which skill not money counted - and I do like that notion even today. And so a standard was developed and set down. But that is all complete conjecture.

Face breaker

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
personally I don't think it should matter what you wear as long as it's neat, tidy and doesn't assault your visual senses, we had some "candidate goofers" turn up at our course the other day dressed in dayglo everything and believe me when I say what a hideous sight that was and to be quite honest a bit disrespectful but during these times of fininacial hardship you can't afford to be to fussy but I on the other hand prefer to wear something a little more discrete "black wind proof outdoor trousers the kind you see hickers wearing" and either a "quality white T-shirt" or "black/white turtle neck" with a "black sleeveless club jumper" depending on weather conditions which looks "very dapper" even if I do say so meself !...:thup:

S

Snelly

H

I'm not sure what point you're trying to prove with these links as they add very little to the debate. They just reinforce the view that there are golf clubs of all kinds that cater for a vast spectrum of dress codes. Find one that fits what you want, join it and get on with life.

Hacker Khan

Yurt Dwelling, Yoghurt Knitter
Visit site
H

I'm not sure what point you're trying to prove with these links as they add very little to the debate. They just reinforce the view that there are golf clubs of all kinds that cater for a vast spectrum of dress codes. Find one that fits what you want, join it and get on with life.

The point I was trying to prove was that dress codes can act as a barrier to people taking up the game. Which you said was unfounded and not true. Hence me linking to the articles.

S

Snelly

The point I was trying to prove was that dress codes can act as a barrier to people taking up the game. Which you said was unfounded and not true. Hence me linking to the articles.

I don't think they prove that at all.

Every club I know with a relatively strict dress code has a waiting list and a joining fee. Anyone put off by any of these things would be better off finding somewhere else to play. Every golfer can find a club that fits his preferences - that is a absolute fact.

The issue at hand seems to be a vocal section on the forum who want to change something because they don't like it, irrespective of the fact that it is entirely irrelevant to them as they won't join clubs with these rules anyway. And that is daft.

S

Snelly

Read something in the paper today that reminded me of this thread. To paraphrase it in this context - Wearing the correct golfing attire at a club is polite. Refusing to do so is the same as saying "I matter more than the rules."

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
personally I don't think it should matter what you wear as long as it's neat, tidy and doesn't assault your visual senses, we had some "candidate goofers" turn up at our course the other day dressed in dayglo everything and believe me when I say what a hideous sight that was and to be quite honest a bit disrespectful but during these times of fininacial hardship you can't afford to be to fussy but I on the other hand prefer to wear something a little more discrete "black wind proof outdoor trousers the kind you see hickers wearing" and either a "quality white T-shirt" or "black/white turtle neck" with a "black sleeveless club jumper" depending on weather conditions which looks "very dapper" even if I do say so meself !...:thup:

BiB - I've tried that argument here before and not really got anywhere.

And I've said earlier here or on another post that I find some of the idiotic (hahaha) golf gear some folks roll up in to be pretty visually offensive and distracting. Pair of jeans and a tee shirt totally OK comparatively.

But whatever the dress code - it should be adhered to by all.

I fear the way my place may be going is that visitors and potential members playing are getting allowed to breach the dress code with impunity - because we don't want to upset them. Now that may be 'minor' things such wearing your shirt outside of your trousers or wearing trainer socks i.e. socks that are within the shoe and so not visible (both not allowed on the course - OK in clubhouse). But stuff that! Just adhere to the dress code.

And I'll add - played with one member at the weekend who was pretty set against too much relaxation of the dress code as 'he pays £1600 a year to play golf at a club where members dress to a nice standard'

Last edited:

garyinderry

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Just thought of the only reason why knee length socks would be of any use on a golf course. To hide varicose veins.

My ugly legs seemed to put liverbirdie of his game on Saturday. :rofl: