Is this the future of dress codes?

User20205

Money List Winner
Visit site
I would certainly take a strict code, such as jacket and tie in the clubhouse, as a negative when weighing up the choices

I don't know of any clubs that have that rule. Some have jacket & tie in the dining room, but none that I know of in the club house full stop.

When we played RSG in February, typical golf gear was allowed in the bar area. I can't think of a more traditional club than that.

No, dress code would not stop me joining somewhere.

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
I don't know of any clubs that have that rule. Some have jacket & tie in the dining room, but none that I know of in the club house full stop.

When we played RSG in February, typical golf gear was allowed in the bar area. I can't think of a more traditional club than that.

Western Gailes members have to wear jacket and tie on arrival and departure at the club, visitors can wear what they like, but members no choice.

TheCaddie

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
To me the issue is not the cost of it or even the ease of putting on the traditional golf 'uniform' for want of a better word. I totally agree that you can kit yourself out in clothes that would get you onto any golf course for tuppence hapenny. And there is a very good argument to say that if someone can't be bothered to follow 'the rules' then they have no right to be able to join that club.

But I think that is missing the point. The rules need to be appropriate for how modern society runs if you want to be a main stream sport attractive to the vast majority of society. Golf needs to decide if it can afford to turn away people who do not want to conform to the traditional golf uniform for whatever reason. Yes the reason why some people don't want to wear that kind of gear is that they are 'wrong uns' who you don't want near your course. And in previous decades the cut of someones sartorial jib was a pretty good way of weeding those types out.

But times have changed, society has changed, attitudes to clothes have changed in the main. And the reason why people don't want to put the 'golf uniform' on might be that they don't really like being told what to wear when they are paying money to do a leisure pass time. It might be that they think they will look like their dad's friends, it might be that they think it is just that little bit naff in 2015.

For some well established traditional clubs this is fine, they can afford to not worry about this and weed out the types of people who don't want to follow the rules no matter how out of date other people may think they are. As the prestige of the club far outweighs that. And fair play to them. However I'd argue the vast majority of clubs need to think if the risk of excluding the 'wrong uns' by way of enforcing dress codes is worth the risk of excluding others who do not really want to follow the dress code for other reasons that may be perfectly logical to them.

And before anyone mentions it, yes I also fully accept that dress codes is not the only reason why membership numbers and participation numbers are falling.

On the flipside, would you run onto a rugby or football match wearing a completely different outfit because you didn't want to wear your teams kit?

Golf Clubs, are just that, they are sports clubs. And all sports clubs have a dresscode, ESPECIALLY when you play the sport, but often before and after as well. Just because you play golf 'by yourself' it doesn't mean you can just wear whatever you want. You are part of a club, whether you are a member or not, I really think it is a no brainer.

If the pros were all wearing flip flops and shorts when they played then I can see why there would be an issue. But they don't. Just like Manchester United wear their kit at the weekend as well.....

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site

But I wouldn't classify that as a "strict" dress code.

I have no problem, as such, with dress codes. If they are in operation I'll comply. But I have to admit, a more relaxed code would raise a club's chances of gaining my membership.

Hacker Khan

Yurt Dwelling, Yoghurt Knitter
Visit site
On the flipside, would you run onto a rugby or football match wearing a completely different outfit because you didn't want to wear your teams kit?

Golf Clubs, are just that, they are sports clubs. And all sports clubs have a dresscode, ESPECIALLY when you play the sport, but often before and after as well. Just because you play golf 'by yourself' it doesn't mean you can just wear whatever you want. You are part of a club, whether you are a member or not, I really think it is a no brainer.

If the pros were all wearing flip flops and shorts when they played then I can see why there would be an issue. But they don't. Just like Manchester United wear their kit at the weekend as well.....

I understand the argument that other sports have specific ways of dressing and why people say 'well footballers have to wear football boots' or whatever argument is used. But you have to put it all in context and address the perception. No one has ever said they do not want to try football or are slightly intimidated by playing football because they have to wear football shorts and a football top. But the perception is that golf clubs, on the whole, have strict dress codes that can be seen as slightly intimidating and a bit out of step with society in general.

The fact that football clubs have dress codes or bowls clubs have dress codes to me is neither here nor there if those dress codes are not adding to the perception that the game can be unwelcoming for new people. And relaxing them a bit (as in the OPs example) would have virtually no change in the clubs everyone on here are members of, as they would all still dress exactly the same as they do now. But over time it will help to change the perception and be a factor (and not the only reason by a long way) of getting more people interested in giving golf a try.

Hacker Khan

Visit site
Would a "strict" dress code put you off joining a particular club?

I think to a certain extent you are asking the wrong people as the vast majority of us are sad golf nuts. Even I would say that it would not put me off completely if the course itself was a cracking track. But you should be asking this to people who potential future members of golf clubs

Hobbit

Mordorator
Visit site
I think I've realised what my issue is.

It's not the dress code per se but more to do with people not following whatever it may be. That to me shows a lack of respect to the club and it's members. If people want to play in jeans and football tops and the club allows it, fine I don't have a problem with it but I would choose not to play there but if the same people turn up where it's not allowed then I take offence.

I'm happy with the current accepted dress code although I do think there is room for movement. I don't see any benefit to shorts with long socks over wearing trousers, short socks should be acceptable IMO. Likewise, jacket and tie for lunch can be a pain but I'm happy to accept that as I love to play the 'proper' traditional courses.

By George I think you've hit the nail!

I don't care what anyone wears when they play golf providing they are respecting the club they are playing at/joined. However, no stilletto's on the green please

TheCaddie

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
I understand the argument that other sports have specific ways of dressing and why people say 'well footballers have to wear football boots' or whatever argument is used. But you have to put it all in context and address the perception. No one has ever said they do not want to try football or are slightly intimidated by playing football because they have to wear football shorts and a football top. But the perception is that golf clubs, on the whole, have strict dress codes that can be seen as slightly intimidating and a bit out of step with society in general.

The fact that football clubs have dress codes or bowls clubs have dress codes to me is neither here nor there if those dress codes are not adding to the perception that the game can be unwelcoming for new people. And relaxing them a bit (as in the OPs example) would have virtually no change in the clubs everyone on here are members of, as they would all still dress exactly the same as they do now. But over time it will help to change the perception and be a factor (and not the only reason by a long way) of getting more people interested in giving golf a try.

I think anyone that uses dress code to not participate in any sport, isn't that serious about playing that sport tbh. For golf, Membership costs and cost of play, yes, I can see why that is a barrier. Time commitments, unfortunately, yes I see why that is an issue as well. But wearing a polo shirt and trousers to play? Don't get it.

Plus, people also play many sports and don't participate in the post match events, drinks, whatever it may be. So if the clubhouse is too formal, but you love the course and are happy to play golf, then just play. I honestly think dress code is probably the lowest barrier for entry for people playing golf, and anyone that uses it as an excuse is doing just that, making an excuse.

ScienceBoy

Money List Winner
Visit site
Golf Clubs, are just that, they are sports clubs. And all sports clubs have a dresscode

I think this too, you cannot wear white shirts to play table tennis is another good example. You also cannot wear certain soled shoes to play table tennis, badminton, basketball etc. Dress codes are everywhere, I am fully in support of sport appropriate dress codes, especially in golf.

I wear what I consider sport appropriate golf wear and would not consider wearing anything else. It is gear designed to keep me comfortable, stable and allow me to swing easily.

I always love getting changed into the special sports outfit. Unless its a special event however I would rather wear what I like when I am not swinging a club on the field of play.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site

100% with HK on this. Besides my club has a uniform when representing the club that we must adhere to - and that is the equivalent of your football team kit. Its what you wear when representing the club - you don't like it then don't look to represent the club. Your own choice.

My 22yr old lad loves golf but only plays occasionally. He doesn't have po!o shirts or slacks.. Last time we played (not at my club but at a Glasgow pay and play) he wore black skinny jeans and a black death metal tee shirt - arms tattoos on display. To look at him members at my club would I am afraid recoil but truth is he is just the sort of lad my club needs as a member. Intelligent, respectful, fun - and loves his golf. But its our choice and our future.

Last edited:

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
Maybe the dress code isn’t the whole problem and partly to blame is the way golf clubs communicate to visitors/guests. I think golf clubs tend to be far too in your face when ‘brandishing’ their dress code or pointing out simple violations.

You see it on a great many golf club websites, really in your face about how you should dress almost to the point that they already think you’re going to screw up if they don’t tell you how to dress

Loads of other places have dress codes and for the most part we manage to negotiate life without too many screw ups or being bawled at. So why do golf clubs have a reputation for going a bit over the top if you don’t have a tie or the right colour of sock

Also is the formal (jacket & tie) dress code that a number of clubs demand really apt for the occasion

I enjoy getting dressed up, maybe for some fine dining, to see a show, go to a club, special occasions etc, but is jacket & tie really representative of an evening meal or drink at your typical golf clubhouse

TheCaddie

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
I enjoy getting dressed up, maybe for some fine dining, to see a show, go to a club, special occasions etc, but is jacket & tie really representative of an evening meal or drink at your typical golf clubhouse

I would have to agree with this point. Especially when often the clubhouse facilities are actually quite poor. Golf attire in the club after a round should be fair play.

Or a change into chinos and a polo shirt. Jackets and Tie should be club functions, not at all times. Do many clubs really still make you wear jacket and tie if you go in the clubhouse?

I think your point about being happy to dress up for certain things, should be reflective of the level of golf club. If you are playing at one of the best courses in the country, then I understand why the members should dress up, if I was paying £1500+ a year then I'd want to dress up too! If you are playing at a nice, but by all accounts, a relatively standard club. Then let's not try and pretend to be something your not! :) Unless of course the facilities are that of the very best clubs....

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
I think I tend to dress more for the occasion rather than the location

Major comps or special rounds I usually wear the nicer/more expensive of my polo's, newest shoes etc but for friendly knock it'll be the everyday golf gear

Same for clubhouse, if its an award evening/special function with multi-course meal etc then I'm going to be dressed smarter than staying for evening meal & a drink after an afternoon round

Location stayed the same just the occasion that changed

I mean what level does a club that has jacket and tie after 6pm rule go to when its a special function, are they now into black tie evenings to pick up a golf trophy or attend a fund raiser. If not then whats to differentiate it from any old Tuesday night

D

Deleted member 16999

Good point, except, all teams in the past would travel in jacket and tie, now they travel in tracksuits or shorts or wearing flip flops, what they wear before and after has no bearing on what they wear on the pitch.

Hacker Khan

Visit site
Maybe the dress code isn’t the whole problem and partly to blame is the way golf clubs communicate to visitors/guests. I think golf clubs tend to be far too in your face when ‘brandishing’ their dress code or pointing out simple violations.

You see it on a great many golf club websites, really in your face about how you should dress almost to the point that they already think you’re going to screw up if they don’t tell you how to dress

Loads of other places have dress codes and for the most part we manage to negotiate life without too many screw ups or being bawled at. So why do golf clubs have a reputation for going a bit over the top if you don’t have a tie or the right colour of sock

Also is the formal (jacket & tie) dress code that a number of clubs demand really apt for the occasion

Think you're spot on there sir and have hit the nail on the head.

D

Deleted member 16999

I mean what level does a club that has jacket and tie after 6pm rule go to when its a special function, are they now into black tie evenings to pick up a golf trophy or attend a fund raiser. If not then whats to differentiate it from any old Tuesday night
Spot on, the collar and tie to go out for a pint is a throw back to the 50's, 60's and before, Your " average" man in the street had his work clothes and possibly one suit, the other was shirts with button collars and a tie, look at any picture of any male gathering from this era and 99% are wearing a collar and tie.
No issue with dress code on the course, but clubs are possibly missing income if the clubhouse is to strict. The last club in this are (I think) to remove the jacket and tie after 7pm rule was done because they were down to a handful of people in the bar at weekends, now it's relaxed it's vibrant and pulling in more cash.

TheCaddie

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Good point, except, all teams in the past would travel in jacket and tie, now they travel in tracksuits or shorts or wearing flip flops, what they wear before and after has no bearing on what they wear on the pitch.

Not strictly true. Man Utd travel in suits to their matches.

That's by the by though. If you've seen my other post I said that really, by and large, jackets and tie should be for club events, and chinos and polo, or just golf gear should be fine in a clubhouse. Unless it's the best of the best....

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
I would have to agree with this point. Especially when often the clubhouse facilities are actually quite poor. Golf attire in the club after a round should be fair play.

Or a change into chinos and a polo shirt. Jackets and Tie should be club functions, not at all times. Do many clubs really still make you wear jacket and tie if you go in the clubhouse?

I think your point about being happy to dress up for certain things, should be reflective of the level of golf club. If you are playing at one of the best courses in the country, then I understand why the members should dress up, if I was paying £1500+ a year then I'd want to dress up too! If you are playing at a nice, but by all accounts, a relatively standard club. Then let's not try and pretend to be something your not! :) Unless of course the facilities are that of the very best clubs....

We do - and we are not a fancy club by any means - just your good 100+ yr old traditional members club - just happens to be in Surrey :(