Is this the future of dress codes?

D

Deleted member 16999

Not strictly true. Man Utd travel in suits to their matches.

That's by the by though. If you've seen my other post I said that really, by and large, jackets and tie should be for club events, and chinos and polo, or just golf gear should be fine in a clubhouse. Unless it's the best of the best....
I did and that's why I said good point, my point is having the "players" relaxed and feeling more comfortable can benefit performance.

TheCaddie

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
I did and that's why I said good point, my point is having the "players" relaxed and feeling more comfortable can benefit performance.

What would you suggest? Anything goes in the clubhouse?

I think similar dress as out on the course is the fairest option. Trousers / tailored shorts and a collared shirts. If you are wearing tailored shorts, then flip flops are allowed.

Ultimately, Nice shorts, a collared shirt and flip flops doesn't look scruffy in my opinion.

seteefeet

Hacker
Visit site
Dress codes are not just restrictive to new members though. I would spend far more time and money in my clubhouse if I could pop in for a few beers in my usual casual attire i.e. jeans, t-shirt and trainers. For that reason the dress code is costing them revenue.
No problem with most on course requirements as they make sense, polo and trousers is the most comfortable kit to play in. When the length of shorts and colour of socks are questioned though that is a step too far for me and I have never been 'offended' by an untucked shirt.
The most progressive clubs, I would guess, are finding the middle ground.

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site

I think similar dress as out on the course is the fairest option. Trousers / tailored shorts and a collared shirts. If you are wearing tailored shorts, then flip flops are allowed.

Ultimately, Nice shorts, a collared shirt and flip flops doesn't look scruffy in my opinion.

Me neither, this is exactly what I wore to go to the restaurant for my Christmas day lunch :cool:

D

Deleted member 16999

Not suggesting anything goes at all, simply suggesting clubs should not be so hard nosed, why does the shirt need a collar, whats wrong with a smart T-Shirt with shorts and trainers, Would Rory wearing a TShirt in the bar after a round make him any less of a golfer or person?

TheCaddie

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Not suggesting anything goes at all, simply suggesting clubs should not be so hard nosed, why does the shirt need a collar, whats wrong with a smart T-Shirt with shorts and trainers, Would Rory wearing a TShirt in the bar after a round make him any less of a golfer or person?

Of course it doesn't make you less of a person. I just think by nature most people look quite smart when they are playing. Therefore, why if you can wear a polo and trousers out on the course, you can do the same in the clubhouse.

As seteefeet said, its about finding the middle ground. I think shirt, tie and jacket is over the top for anything other than club functions / awards ceremonies. But I also think wearing a t-shirt, shorts and trainers is a bit too casual, given what you wear when playing. Hence... let's find the middleground!

D

Deleted member 16999

Of course it doesn't make you less of a person. I just think by nature most people look quite smart when they are playing. Therefore, why if you can wear a polo and trousers out on the course, you can do the same in the clubhouse.

As seteefeet said, its about finding the middle ground. I think shirt, tie and jacket is over the top for anything other than club functions / awards ceremonies. But I also think wearing a t-shirt, shorts and trainers is a bit too casual, given what you wear when playing. Hence... let's find the middleground!

I think you're missing were I am coming from, I have no issue with Dress Rules/Codes it's down to each individual club, what I am saying is clubs should consider all aspects and as others have stated, they're put off "popping in" or inviteing friends because of restrictions, going to the Golf Club before going out with friends etc, you won't want to go the GC if it's not what you're wearing to go out.

seteefeet

Hacker
Visit site

What if you are not playing though and just want to pop in? If I had been out in t-shirt and trainers and fancied a pint or a bit of lunch, I wouldn't go home, change and go back to the club, I would go somewhere else and so would my money.
I would imagine most players only go to the club when they are playing and this is one of the reasons why.
Agree with more formal occasions having a dress code, but that is no different in other walks of life, most people wouldn't go to a wedding in hoodie and flip flops.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
What we need is adaptable clothing - so your standard three-quarter length shorts - hmm - maybe not acceptable to some - but add a little draw string around the 'turnup' and you have a pair of plus fours - totally acceptable :)

TheCaddie

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
I think you're missing were I am coming from, I have no issue with Dress Rules/Codes it's down to each individual club, what I am saying is clubs should consider all aspects and as others have stated, they're put off "popping in" or inviteing friends because of restrictions, going to the Golf Club before going out with friends etc, you won't want to go the GC if it's not what you're wearing to go out.

Yes, fair point.

I guess most people would have to plan accordingly if they want to pop into the club though. Again, shorts, polo and flipflops for example in the summer isn't really a big ask though. If I thought I might go to the club for one or for lunch, I'd just put a polo on before I went out.

Hacker Khan

Yurt Dwelling, Yoghurt Knitter
Visit site
Yes, fair point.

I guess most people would have to plan accordingly if they want to pop into the club though. Again, shorts, polo and flipflops for example in the summer isn't really a big ask though. If I thought I might go to the club for one or for lunch, I'd just put a polo on before I went out.

But if the business model of the club is to try and attract more punters into the bar/restaurant where they can make some decent mark ups, then the 'perception' that you have to put a polo on or can I wear jeans, can I not, won't help in the slightest. I know it's not difficult to put them on, but the vast majority of people will just think, sod that, I'll go for a pint and a meal at one of the many pubs that now cater for the casual dining market.

TheCaddie

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
But if the business model of the club is to try and attract more punters into the bar/restaurant where they can make some decent mark ups, then the 'perception' that you have to put a polo on or can I wear jeans, can I not, won't help in the slightest. I know it's not difficult to put them on, but the vast majority of people will just think, sod that, I'll go for a pint and a meal at one of the many pubs that cater for the casual dining market.

Yes, but golf clubs aren't looking for "punters." The are looking for people who play golf, or at least who want to play golf and ultimately potential new memebrs to join their club.

Last edited:
D

Deleted Member 1156

Western Gailes members have to wear jacket and tie on arrival and departure at the club, visitors can wear what they like, but members no choice.

I have absolutely nothing prove or disprove what you say but I find this hard to believe :eek:

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
The members having to arrive and leave in J+T :eek:

No thats true, i doubt there is anything to say that anywhere on a website, but its one of the rules of the club. We have a match against them as one of our guys became the sec.
No women members either, though they are allowed to play and its held the Curtis Cup.. which is more surprising than the J&T

S

Snelly

I think I've realised what my issue is.

It's not the dress code per se but more to do with people not following whatever it may be. That to me shows a lack of respect to the club and it's members. If people want to play in jeans and football tops and the club allows it, fine I don't have a problem with it but I would choose not to play there but if the same people turn up where it's not allowed then I take offence.

I'm happy with the current accepted dress code although I do think there is room for movement. I don't see any benefit to shorts with long socks over wearing trousers, short socks should be acceptable IMO. Likewise, jacket and tie for lunch can be a pain but I'm happy to accept that as I love to play the 'proper' traditional courses.

I completely agree with the above. It is the seeming need to subvert the dress code of a club just for the sake of it that I find mildly irritating.

Join a club that fits with your needs and abide by their rules.

On a slightly separate note, I cannot believe that the clothes you are asked to wear is a barrier to people taking up golf or joining golf clubs. This seems to be trotted out as an inevitable fact by many on this forum but I think it is complete nonsense. Unfounded and not true.

All sports have a certain kit that you need to wear. If you want to play golf, wear golf gear. Same goes for any other sport really.

D

Deleted Member 1156

No thats true, i doubt there is anything to say that anywhere on a website, but its one of the rules of the club. We have a match against them as one of our guys became the sec.
No women members either, though they are allowed to play and its held the Curtis Cup.. which is more surprising than the J&T

Proper old school then. With the quality of courses in the area, I'm sure that must put people off joining.