Is this the future of dress codes?

Foliage Finder

Head Pro
Visit site
More relaxed dress codes such as in the OP are a great idea IMO. Provided what people wear is practical, I don't have a problem. The club in the OP's ban on flip flops is a reasonable restriction for practicality/safety purposes, apart from that I can't think of much else that would potentially be unsafe, apart from maybe flat soled formal shoes but who's going to wear those on a golf course??

The more barriers removed to widening participation the better! Whether people would then play golf seriously enough to progress onto membership/comps, leading to a natural progression towards more "traditional" attire, is questionable IMO. But in some ways by getting people involved at that "just for fun" level has achieved something in itself.

D

Deleted Member 1156

It's about time GC's chilled out on dress codes on the course. Tbh, most of the folks I see on the course wearing "golf attire" look more underdressed than most big issue sellers I see. Happy witha dress code for a club house formal areas (if it's a trad club) with a more relaxed code for less formal areas. This is the 21st century.

What would you consider to be a 'more relaxed' dress code?

TheJezster

Tour Rookie
Visit site
I didnt even know we HAD a dress code until recently. Luckily we're not precious or pretentious at our place so it's no bother. Now it's fully on summer, it's shorts (whether cargo or cut down jeans), tee shirt and flip flops all the time for me after my shower. In fairness i've been wearing that minus the flip flops for most of this year but I'd hate to be dictated to that i'd have to put a blazer and tie on afterwards etc. I just wouldnt bother staying after.

Great to see clubs coming out with these kind of innovative rules

D

Deleted Member 1156

I didnt even know we HAD a dress code until recently. Luckily we're not precious or pretentious at our place so it's no bother. Now it's fully on summer, it's shorts (whether cargo or cut down jeans), tee shirt and flip flops all the time for me after my shower. In fairness i've been wearing that minus the flip flops for most of this year but I'd hate to be dictated to that i'd have to put a blazer and tie on afterwards etc. I just wouldnt bother staying after.

Great to see clubs coming out with these kind of innovative rules

Interesting. You think it's great, I think it sounds like a place to avoid like the plague.

One man's meat and all that :confused:

TheJezster

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Interesting. You think it's great, I think it sounds like a place to avoid like the plague.

One man's meat and all that :confused:

You see, that's the beauty of it. Wear what YOU think is good. Not what you think other people THINK you should. Each to their own then, and it's so much simpler and makes everyone happy. I wouldnt dream of telling you what you should and shouldnt wear. Likewise, neither should you to me or anyone else.

Harmy in one paragraph! :-D

User20205

Money List Winner
Visit site
You see, that's the beauty of it. Wear what YOU think is good. Not what you think other people THINK you should. Each to their own then, and it's so much simpler and makes everyone happy. I wouldnt dream of telling you what you should and shouldnt wear. Likewise, neither should you to me or anyone else.

That is true. However there is a correlation between certain types of dress and certain types of behaviour. Unfortunate but true

TheCaddie

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site

What course do you play at Jezter. Sounds very......"modern"

TheJezster

Tour Rookie
Visit site
That is true. However there is a correlation between certain types of dress and certain types of behaviour. Unfortunate but true

You are of course quite correct. Have you seen the film The Riot Club? Shocking what people in black tie will get up to...

TheCaddie

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
You are of course quite correct. Have you seen the film The Riot Club? Shocking what people in black tie will get up to...

This doesn't sound as liberal as you are suggesting?

[h=3]Dress Code[/h]At Wimbledon Common Golf Club we try to steer a line between having too draconian a dress policy which may alienate younger members, or having an "anything goes" policy.
[h=3]Red On The Course[/h]On the course a requirement of the Conservators is that all players must wear a plain pillar-box red outer garment and the Rangers, who patrol the common, are empowered to stop people playing if they contravene this rule. Red garments and waterproofs can be hired from the club for a fee of £3 for a polo shirt and £5 for a waterproof. And please note that trainers, T-shirts, tracksuits are not accepted.
[h=3]Nineteenth Hole[/h]You may wear golf clothing in the bar – dry and clean, please! Otherwise dress should be smart casual in the clubhouse - again, please, no trainers, T-shirts or tracksuits. Jeans are acceptable, provided they're not of the scruffy variety! If you need to have your mobile with you, please set it to silent, and if you need to make a call, do so out of the building, and away from others. Otherwise you may find yourself having to make an unexpected contribution to the Captain's charity!

TheJezster

Tour Rookie
Visit site
This doesn't sound as liberal as you are suggesting?

[h=3]Dress Code[/h]At Wimbledon Common Golf Club we try to steer a line between having too draconian a dress policy which may alienate younger members, or having an "anything goes" policy.
[h=3]Red On The Course[/h]On the course a requirement of the Conservators is that all players must wear a plain pillar-box red outer garment and the Rangers, who patrol the common, are empowered to stop people playing if they contravene this rule. Red garments and waterproofs can be hired from the club for a fee of £3 for a polo shirt and £5 for a waterproof. And please note that trainers, T-shirts, tracksuits are not accepted.
[h=3]Nineteenth Hole[/h]You may wear golf clothing in the bar – dry and clean, please! Otherwise dress should be smart casual in the clubhouse - again, please, no trainers, T-shirts or tracksuits. Jeans are acceptable, provided they're not of the scruffy variety! If you need to have your mobile with you, please set it to silent, and if you need to make a call, do so out of the building, and away from others. Otherwise you may find yourself having to make an unexpected contribution to the Captain's charity!

I was more talking about the OP and saying thats great. As for my club, I said I didnt realise we HAD a dress code. What we have (which sounds like you've taken from the website) isnt followed and as we're a members club it's all fine. Obviously any guests etc would normally turn up in standard golfing attire etc. I was photographed with the caption winning a monthly medal in bar one sunday, wearing torn denim knee length shorts, trainers, t shirt and hoody. A bit of banter was thrown about but thats all it is, banter.

D

Deleted Member 1156

I was photographed with the caption winning a monthly medal in bar one sunday, wearing torn denim knee length shorts, trainers, t shirt and hoody.

Serious question.......do you think that is acceptable in a golf club? And would you turn up like that to play anywhere else?

ScienceBoy

Money List Winner
Visit site
I am all for dress codes as long as they are just ensuring people are dressed suitable for playing a sport.

Wearing appropriate sporting wear for the sport being played is all part of the experience.

Golf for me is about wearing clothes to deal with the conditions, allow freedom to swing and to wear shoes to provide a stable foundation.

Hopefully all clubs extend the OPs dress code out to the more casual side of the game, just like my local par 3 (cambridge lakes). Gets people into the game without having to shell out hundreds of pounds on clothes! (add it all up, its more than £100 if you start from scratch and buy golf specific gear)

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Serious question.......do you think that is acceptable in a golf club? And would you turn up like that to play anywhere else?

I'm moving to a view that says how a member or visitor behaves on the golf course or in the club house is much more important than what they wear - and I say that despite myself...

I would like attire to be inoffensive to others - and in some ways that is easy to define - so for example on shirts of whatever nature no swearies; no religious imagery or references - such things that are easily understood to be offensive and can be policed relatively easily. Stupid, loud and garish shirts and trousers might offend my sensibilities - but lots of golfing attire is of that nature and so I must ghet used to it or put up with it. Others will get 'offended' by ripped jeans and tee shirts, or ladies wearing very short skirts - maybe they too have to get used to it or put up with it.

It is behaviour that for me is what really matters - the rest is obsolescent noise.

D

Deleted Member 1156

Do you wear a full suit and tie at all times in the clubhouse?

Of course not, I wear what is appropriate ie. smart casual trousers and a polo shirt with or without a jumper.

If people want to wear inappropriate clothing and the club allows it then fine with me. They are choosing to prevent themselves from playing at nice courses should they want to.