KENT TOUR 18/19/20 November

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site
Royal St Georges - I think I'm obviously in a very small minority here, but I thought RSG was terrible value for money. The weather was obviously dire, but putting that to one side, the course conditioning was really poor. The fairways were very bare and scabby in a lot of patches, every bunker I saw on the 8 holes before I walked in was GUR (playing an Open Championship course and picking the ball out of all the bunkers is not what you pay top dollar for), and I wasn't overly impressed with the welcome from the club either. I'm really sorry to my great playing partners Shaun, Richard and Simon that I decided to bail out and walk in after the 8th, I didn't feel good doing it, but I really didn't enjoy the course experience. I wanted to go in the pro shop and complain about the conditioning and ask for a partial refund, as £120 or whatever our deal was represented really poor value to me. However, Simon and Richard asked me not to do that as it may jeopardise future deals, so I just got changed and left quietly as I didn't want to harm your future negotiations to return.

I agree with you in regards to the fairways, they were pretty poor and I was warned of this before we went by a local pro. I played so poorly that good or bad it would have made little difference to me but I understand fully your views Andy. I think the golf rate to us was about £80 ' ish, the remainder being for food and the prize money. The greeting at RCP, and Princes for that matter, is always more welcoming than RSG which sort of gives me the impression that they feel that are doing the rabble a favour and we did have a problem with the starter who wasn't told that our tee times were pushed back 20 minutes, as they had slotted in some members (something they shouldn't do imo) and whilst I told him at least 5 times it didn't seem to sink in.

Also. despite the fact that I liaised with RCP on a regular basis for months no mention of a hole being out of play was ever mentioned to me, I only found out from the forum and I wrote and asked them to let us play through on Monday before they close the hole but there was no chance they'd do so, and on the day, the hole closed was not at all being worked on

I hope that we can sort out a decent deal for next time at a better time of the year and hope that the course conditions reflect that too

D

Deleted member 21258

I agree with you in regards to the fairways, they were pretty poor

Would like to add in RSG defence about the fairway, quite a number of the links courses I have played in late summer/early autumn are really showing the summer damage, where the grass is slow growing back or not at all and the recovery is really slow, even with reseeding that is happening at a number of those courses. Real sad:cry:

The pro I agree with job1850 completely, the younger assistant we dealt with in summer was really helpful and great.(y)

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
Would like to add in RSG defence about the fairway, quite a number of the links courses I have played in late summer/early autumn are really showing the summer damage, where the grass is slow growing back or not at all and the recovery is really slow, even with reseeding that is happening at a number of those courses. Real sad:cry:

The pro I agree with job1850 completely, the younger assistant we dealt with in summer was really helpful and great.(y)

Have to agree about fairways, all the links courses up here were badly burnt this summer, even some of the usually wet parkland course are too, even long peter at Nairn Dunbar was and that the wettest hole on the coarse as it was the old riverbed, before it was diverted to make the new harbor. WG, Prestwick had suffered when i was there a few months ago as had Carnoustie a little bit, but they were still bone dry, once those patches get wet, horrible.

Blue in Munich

Crocked Professional Yeti Impersonator
Visit site
The Pro at RSG is awful - no politeness about him at all , blunt to the point of being rude and plenty of the members we have bumped into are the same. The caddiemaster and guy at halfway hut are ok

When you then compare it to Andrew and his guys at RCP and everyone there is night and day - they just couldn’t do enough for you - a real warm welcome

It’s why if given the choice I would prefer to be at RCP even if RSG is a better course

This, all day long. The epitome of what a pro shop should be, and just another reason to love the place.

Blue in Munich

Visit site

Both The Berkshire and Swinley Forest suffered this summer, West Hill did, my home course did; the only course I've played this year that I cannot think had fairway damage was Liphook.

Last edited:

mashleyR7

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Littlestone is in great condition right now, for some reason our fairways have recovered better than any links along the coast. We feel extremely lucky for our course condition right now, including the greens.

D

Deleted member 17920

Thank you to Glyn, Cam, Chris and Simon for all the organising. Top job, lads !

It was great to meet a lot more forum members, on and off the course.

Special thanks to all my playing partners over the 3 days :

Princes - had an enjoyable round with Dan, Andy and Glyn. I was in awe of Dan and Andy's golf, especially their short games. I really liked Princes as a course and as a club. A particular highlight was all four of us making birdie on the 2nd hole, I can't remember that ever happening in a fourball before. Great bottle showed by Glyn to roll in his 4 footer for birdie after the other 3 of us had already made ours.:)

Royal Cinque Ports - in my opinion this was easily my best course of the 3 we played, and ranks as one of my all time fav courses played. The hole designs were excellent, the conditioning was absolutely superb, and the clubhouse and lunch were top notch. Despite the brutal wind, I had a really enjoyable round with John, Shaun, and Chris and enjoyed the day hugely. Thank you for the top company, boys.:cool:

Royal St Georges - I think I'm obviously in a very small minority here, but I thought RSG was terrible value for money. The weather was obviously dire, but putting that to one side, the course conditioning was really poor. The fairways were very bare and scabby in a lot of patches, every bunker I saw on the 8 holes before I walked in was GUR (playing an Open Championship course and picking the ball out of all the bunkers is not what you pay top dollar for), and I wasn't overly impressed with the welcome from the club either. I'm really sorry to my great playing partners Shaun, Richard and Simon that I decided to bail out and walk in after the 8th, I didn't feel good doing it, but I really didn't enjoy the course experience. I wanted to go in the pro shop and complain about the conditioning and ask for a partial refund, as £120 or whatever our deal was represented really poor value to me. However, Simon and Richard asked me not to do that as it may jeopardise future deals, so I just got changed and left quietly as I didn't want to harm your future negotiations to return.

Thanks to Phil and Craig for being great housemates in Deal. I think the accommodation was great, although Phil needs to be more careful not to tread in so much cat *** next time. At least with his winnings from his very steady golf over the 3 days he can afford to buy a replacement set of footwear :ROFLMAO:.
Whilst I understand your frustration with RSG we all have to remember we are paying winter green fees.

It’s always a risk with the weather and the winter work the course does, most courses start the winter work on the 1st week in November because they are not charging summer rates.

If anyone wants a perfect course then they need to be paying summer rates and that’s not in my price list 😂

I thought with the food taking into account etc we are paying roughly £70-£80 and I personally thought that was good value for money.

Swingalot

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
The bunkers at RSG all have to be upgraded for the Open. They were told to do them all, no matter what the current condition.

Do agree about the pro shop, not very welcoming at all.

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site
Littlestone is in great condition right now, for some reason our fairways have recovered better than any links along the coast. We feel extremely lucky for our course condition right now, including the greens.

Best I come down and test it

Blue in Munich

Visit site
One of the members at my club has been organising a similar trip for the end of April. I know that a number of people were saying that we needed to move the dates because of the weather. The reason the Kent Tour was always done at this time of year was cost.

The price I've been offered in April for 18 holes at RCP Monday, RSG Tuesday, Princes Wednesday, staying in the lodges at Princes for 2 nights with breakfast both mornings & one evening meal is £575. I'm not looking to find takers for the trip, just tossing this in as the current going rate if people think we need to consider moving it. That price does not include the carvery at RSG or food at RCP or Princes. It also potentially doesn't include any wiggle room for larger numbers or previous good customers. Food for thought?

D

Deleted member 25172

One of the members at my club has been organising a similar trip for the end of April. I know that a number of people were saying that we needed to move the dates because of the weather. The reason the Kent Tour was always done at this time of year was cost.

The price I've been offered in April for 18 holes at RCP Monday, RSG Tuesday, Princes Wednesday, staying in the lodges at Princes for 2 nights with breakfast both mornings & one evening meal is £575. I'm not looking to find takers for the trip, just tossing this in as the current going rate if people think we need to consider moving it. That price does not include the carvery at RSG or food at RCP or Princes. It also potentially doesn't include any wiggle room for larger numbers or previous good customers. Food for thought?

If the standard offer they have on their websites is the only thing they can do I’d say roll the dice, hope the weather gods are listening and try and get a better deal as early as possible for when winter prices come into play.

Dando

Q-School Graduate
Banned
Visit site

To be honest mate I’ll go whenever and if it costs more to hopefully get better weather then so be it but I appreciate some may not be so keen

User2021

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Rich, I think if it was a hundred quid more its a no brainer.
But that is a big jump and no food included at RCP and RSG - both of which were brilliant last year.

We could pay a load more, go peak time and it lash down, only guarantee is it won't be sub zero.

Is there much of a price difference if we went October or April?

D

Deleted member 25172

Rich, I think if it was a hundred quid more its a no brainer.
But that is a big jump and no food included at RCP and RSG - both of which were brilliant last year.

We could pay a load more, go peak time and it lash down, only guarantee is it won't be sub zero.

Is there much of a price difference if we went October or April?

If they're sticking to their guns regarding the £575 price tag, it seems it's all throughout April and until 31st October.

https://www.princesgolfclub.co.uk/m...nues_in_3_days_summer_2_updatedsept18_868.pdf

Would love to join in again for a Kent meetup, but £575 is just a tad to steep for me for what's on offer.

D

Deleted member 17920

D

Deleted member 25172

Perhaps it should just be a new thread instead, but what about Saunton instead of Kent?

Not as accessible for most I guess (including me), but 2 links courses both in the top 100 if you are to take Golf Monthly's word for it, and to a very reasonable price in October. £60 for a round, dropping to £50 if playing a second day, dropping to £40 for the third day. Perhaps they're more flexible than their eastern colleagues on the coast of Kent as well when it comes to package deals?

Haven't played it myself, but I have had it in mind for around October anyway.

D

Deleted Member 1156

Perhaps it should just be a new thread instead, but what about Saunton instead of Kent?

Not as accessible for most I guess (including me), but 2 links courses both in the top 100 if you are to take Golf Monthly's word for it, and to a very reasonable price in October. £60 for a round, dropping to £50 if playing a second day, dropping to £40 for the third day. Perhaps they're more flexible than their eastern colleagues on the coast of Kent as well when it comes to package deals?

There are other options down that way as well with Royal North Devon close by, Burnham & Berrow not far away and then St Enodoc & Trevose also doable as a day trip from Saunton. All of them are more reasonable than the Kent courses if people fancied a change of scenery and they are all top 100.

Captainron

Big Hitting, South African Sweary Person
Visit site

I'm playing in their Easter Open. Both courses for £50 odd which is an absolute STEAL.