PGA Tour Dress code

Wolf

Visit site
I happen to know that humans subconsciously judge people within seconds, dispute it all you want but it's true
I'll dispute what I do as I don't judge people on what I see. But let's finally get back to the thread in hand shall we..

This topic has really meandered away from the original point. Whatever your views on dress codes, the fact is the PGA have allowed collarless shirts, trainer-style shoes, jogger-style trousers with gathered bottoms and high ankles, hooded jumpers, and all manner of lary trousers with ridiculous designs, but continue to disallow tailored shorts. That inconsistency is bizarre as I would have thought all the above contravene the 'traditional' dress before tailored shorts do!

Talking about jeans, tattoos, hoodies and what-have-you is besides the issue, surely 99.9% if not 100% of our clubs allow tailored shorts don't they??
Agreed the tour is definetly what sets the trends with golf clothing, and I a lot of the new trends coming out now its finally moving with the Times, I wish half the stuff out now was about when I was a junior golf clothing for kids in the mid 90s was horrendous.

Very good point though that the new trends are probably in direct contravention of the tailored shorts issue which is now only just coming through perhaps the relaxation of the shorts issue is because of the new trends, maybe tours are seeing that new clothing that they let through means there is no reason shorts can't be allowed or refused anymore , I don't personally see why can't be worn in tournament play though. But the first steps been taken.

D

Deleted member 16999

Yes there is no issue with tailored shorts or smart casual golfing attire or attire associated with golf which can actually be quite stylish.
With long socks, white socks, black socks, any colour socks or trainer socks?

D

Deleted member 16999

Well that was a good read.

Clubs with dress codes are entitled to enforce said dress codes, you don't want to respect said dress code - I guess you are going to be asked to leave. I don't have any issue with that.

Turning up in work clothing to then get changed into our golf gear, I'd be surprised if anyone on here hasn't done so.
Just make sure you use the side entrance, you don’t want anyone thinking you’re a neer’do well. ;)

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
Is this weeks announcement from the US PGA or the PGA of America (are they even different bodies?)

I understood that the tour bodies (inc PGA of America) had introduced this change in dress code last year for non competition rounds, so assuming they are different this is just the last one falling into popular line I guess

D

Deleted member 16999

Don't know the sock situation at my club as I don't actually wear shorts even in summer. I could find out though if you wish
Just wondering as some clubs do have some strict dress codes for socks when wearing shorts.
Some insist on knee length, some on pure white ankle socks with no logo’s.

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
Just wondering as some clubs do have some strict dress codes for socks when wearing shorts.

Do you think that kind of sock rule applies post round in the clubhouse too or is it just on the course (assuming you can wear shorts in the clubhouse) ;)

Jacko_G

Blackballed
Visit site
Don't know the sock situation at my club as I don't actually wear shorts even in summer. I could find out though if you wish

Only Elie are up their own backside enough to insist on long socks with shorts, hopefully WGC isn't as crazy as that!!!

Dibby

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I happen to know that humans subconsciously judge people within seconds, dispute it all you want but it's true

I'll dispute what I do as I don't judge people on what I see. But let's finally get back to the thread in hand shall we...

I think an important distinction needs to be drawn here. The human mind will naturally and subconsciously try and correlate what it sees when meeting a new person, with what it already knows from prior experience. However, this is just raw data, what happens after this is a conscious choice as to what we do with that information.

Take the tattooed doctor:
Parsaregood - you have already said you would assume he is unprofessional and would ask for another doctor.
Wolf - you already know this guy, so you know he is qualified.
For others meeting him for the first time, I would expect that they may be initially surprised that a doctor has this image, as it is not common, however beyond that they would treat him just the same. Personally, I would judge a doctor on their published outcomes, rather than their fashion choices.

User20204

Visit site

I think our club requires them to be at least ankle height but most folk tend to wear trainer socks when wearing shorts in the summer so that rule is generally ignored.

D

Deleted member 16999

Do you think that kind of sock rule applies post round in the clubhouse too or is it just on the course (assuming you can wear shorts in the clubhouse) ;)
Cargo shorts are ok;)

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site

Ive worn shorts and Muirfield with short sports sock and Western Gails, two more conservative clubs you won't find up here.

Only place Ive been where you can't wear shorts is Royal Aberdeen

I know Ellie makes you buy a pair of long sock from the pro shop if you turn up there with short and short socks

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
Well that was a good read.

Clubs with dress codes are entitled to enforce said dress codes, you don't want to respect said dress code - I guess you are going to be asked to leave. I don't have any issue with that.

Turning up in work clothing to then get changed into our golf gear, I'd be surprised if anyone on here hasn't done so.

I have a couple of mates who are WG members and last time i played with them another members joined us, who complained about turning up wearing jacket, collar and tie. all i thought was why join if that was how you felt.

I seriously was thinking of Royal Aberdeen, but with it not allowing shorts to be worn i decided against it.

rksquire

Head Pro
Visit site
If Ryan Moore pitched up to our place with a hoodie on people would turn up their noses and there'd be lots of snide comments. Then we'd see he'd destroyed the course and won everything going. Then we'd all turn up in hoodies the following week thinking that's what improves our game. And then we'd realise that with the exception of golf shoes, out attire doesn't really affect our ability to play, unlike most other sports. For example, 2 weeks ago I played in untailored waterproof bottoms, 3 upper body layers covered with a waterproof jacket that had a hood. I also wore 2 gloves. The world didn't end.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
I've stayed out of this one largely as I've lost too much time in the past on dress code threads. I did however play a course in Yorkshire last year who fully enforced their sock code. Knee length socks were preferred but not enforced. Trainer socks were outlawed full stop, on the course, in the clubhouse. A male ankle could not be seen :eek:. I had travelled down in trainer socks, height of last summer, ankle socks were ready in the car, and I went to the pro shop to check in first of all. I was pulled up for my socks within paces of entering the shop. I did have to smile.

The colour of sock was not an issue, it just had to cover the ankle

Not sure if it applied to the ladies, strange how codes differ for men and women, they seem more relaxed for ladies.

Jacko_G

Blackballed
Visit site
If Ryan Moore pitched up to our place with a hoodie on people would turn up their noses and there'd be lots of snide comments. Then we'd see he'd destroyed the course and won everything going. Then we'd all turn up in hoodies the following week thinking that's what improves our game. And then we'd realise that with the exception of golf shoes, out attire doesn't really affect our ability to play, unlike most other sports. For example, 2 weeks ago I played in untailored waterproof bottoms, 3 upper body layers covered with a waterproof jacket that had a hood. I also wore 2 gloves. The world didn't end.

I wouldn't. Hoodie for me isn't golf course attire. If people want to judge me for that view/attitude then fair enough.