PGA Tour Dress code

Wolf

Visit site
So as of today and with immediate effect Players can now wear taylored shorts effective immediately for practice and Pro Am days only.

Imo a step in the right direction but I would like to see it relaxed further and allow it during actual tournament play.

Wonder what the reason is for not allowing it in tournament play unless they're worried there'll be to many little chicken legs on show for TV to cope with.

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
So as of today and with immediate effect Players can now wear taylored shorts effective immediately for practice and Pro Am days only.

Imo a step in the right direction but I would like to see it relaxed further and allow it during actual tournament play.

Wonder what the reason is for not allowing it in tournament play unless they're worried there'll be to many little chicken legs on show for TV to cope with.

After seeing phils legs on YouTube when Pete finch was analysing his swing change I can say I’m very glad he is forced to wear trousers

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site

I have no idea, I think it's a bit ridiculous in this day and age. They've allowed collarless shirts since about 2002 or whenever Tiger wore that famous red round-neck top. They've allowed the trainer-style golf shoes, and those silly trousers with the high elasticated bottoms. Surely tailored shorts are less offensive to the posh golfs bods than all of them.

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site

There lots of things different between Am weekend hackers and them, it would be an even bigger slap in the face with the bugger nice and comfy in shorts somewhere warm, thicker tweed trousers i say:ROFLMAO: make the buggers sweat;)

Grant85

Head Pro
Visit site
It does seem strange that this change hasn't been made. Even if they have a 'summer' dress code, and only allow shorts June / July / August.

I remember when the Turkish Airlines event launched. The 1st year it wasn't a tour sanctioned event, but there was big prize money so a lot of top players went over for it.
As it wasn't a tour sanctioned event, the players could wear shorts in competition. Was a bit strange seeing Lee Westwood playing a tournament in shorts.
I think I remember Hunter Mahan playing, and not making the shorts look great.

But as I said, seems crazy not to allow it - especially with some of the temperatures tournaments are played in. As soon as the likes of Nike and Adidas take a stand because they can make a fortune selling 'performance' shorts, they will make the change.

All it needs would be for a few high profile guys to turn up at a PGA Tour event and walk onto the 1st tee with a pair of shorts. No way are they going to stop someone like Rory / Rickie / JT playing in the event and the dress code would be relaxed. You see so many social media videos of the guys practising wearing shorts, it must be a right pain to have to wear trousers in scoring heat.

AdamC28

Visit site
Agree that they should be allowed to wear them all the time really.
Certainly no worse that some of the outfits we see worn regularly.

Wolf

Visit site
Agree that they should be allowed to wear them all the time really.
Certainly no worse that some of the outfits we see worn regularly.
Totally agree is a decent pair of taylored shorts not better than some of the horrendous trousers we see on tour

Parsaregood

Head Pro
Visit site
Never been a fan of playing golf in shorts, also with some of the collarless shirts about, some of them could look like they are off for a game of tennis. I think golf should do what it can to uphold a semi traditional dress code and honestly don't think the tour will allow shorts in competition for a long time yet

glynntaylor

Head Pro
Visit site
Surprised no one has mentioned the amount of Hoodies on show at the weekend...

IMO I love them... always have mine on at the range and practise facilities...and can be smart looking...

Welcome to 2019

Glynn
Aged 33 and with the times

GOLFER1994

Head Pro
Visit site
Still find it ridiculous that they can't already wear shorts. I understand that there is a requirement for smart dress as per tradition but do not see any reason why tailored shorts are considered unacceptable. The sport needs to move with the time across the board, not just little jumps at a time.

Parsaregood

Head Pro
Visit site
Surprised no one has mentioned the amount of Hoodies on show at the weekend...

IMO I love them... always have mine on at the range and practise facilities...and can be smart looking...

Welcome to 2019

Glynn
Aged 33 and with the times
As long as clubs have dress codes and don't allow hoodies on the course or in the clubhouse I'll be happy. I wear hoodies out with golf but would never wear one to play golf, absolutely no reason for a hoodie at a golf club, it has no place

Wolf

Visit site
I do think they need to move on with dress codes in clubs and on tour. Some of the golf specific hooded jackets they had on I thought were quite smart. A decent pair of shorts can look very smart especially with the modern trainer style golf shoe.

Little things like this can attract people to the game instead of sticking to rigid dress codes. By all means keep it smart casual and no jeans etc but little changes like this can go a long way.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
I think it has to come in over time but I can't really see it happening for at least a decade or two yet. More likely to start on the PGA tour long before the ET considers it. Funny how the LPGA seem ahead of the curve and their players seem to have far more choice in what they can wear without any issues

Parsaregood

Head Pro
Visit site
I do think they need to move on with dress codes in clubs and on tour. Some of the golf specific hooded jackets they had on I thought were quite smart. A decent pair of shorts can look very smart especially with the modern trainer style golf shoe.

Little things like this can attract people to the game instead of sticking to rigid dress codes. By all means keep it smart casual and no jeans etc but little changes like this can go a long way.
Hooded tops will not attract people to play golf, all sports have a dress code of some kind. The reason golf isn't very popular is it's so expensive, there are no avenues to cheap or free tuition, if you go to a driving range regularly it costs a fortune. You could easily spend 2k on a set of golf clubs. It's not like football where costs are minimal, until there are schemes to get youngsters involved for little or no cost, it will always have the same problem

Tashyboy

Please don’t ask to see my tatts 👍
Visit site
How can they legally enforce this. Women show legs, why not men. If women were forced to cover up, am sure it would hit the fan. Unfortunately not all golfers have legs like mine. A thing of beauty one of them is.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Hooded tops will not attract people to play golf, all sports have a dress code of some kind. The reason golf isn't very popular is it's so expensive, there are no avenues to cheap or free tuition, if you go to a driving range regularly it costs a fortune. You could easily spend 2k on a set of golf clubs. It's not like football where costs are minimal, until there are schemes to get youngsters involved for little or no cost, it will always have the same problem
There are plenty of schemes around the country to introduce kids to golf with no need to shell out on kit

Parsaregood

Head Pro
Visit site
There are plenty of schemes around the country to introduce kids to golf with no need to shell out on kit
If you want them to take it up, you'd have to buy kit, pay for balls at the range, membership costs. There are no schemes I know of that are cheap that allow kids to become involved for little money. It's probably an issue for the golf unions to try and figure out, but they only tend to support elite amateurs who have already had lots of tuition etc

Wolf

Visit site
I never said get rid of the dress code, I said a more relaxed dress code will help, as it will help shed a lot of the stuffy image of the game.

Yes there needs to be more youngsters in the game and that comes with forward thinking, there's a lot of incentive in place around the country where kids don't need pay for kit our club has something that brings kids along first Saturday of every month for fun free tuition with games that help them have fun whilst learning and doesn't make them wear chinos, to do it.

A relaxed dress code will help younger people see the game as a cooler thing to play.