PGA Tour Dress code

Parsaregood

Head Pro
Visit site
I never said get rid of the dress code, I said a more relaxed dress code will help, as it will help shed a lot of the stuffy image of the game.

Yes there needs to be more youngsters in the game and that comes with forward thinking, there's a lot of incentive in place around the country where kids don't need pay for kit our club has something that brings kids along first Saturday of every month for fun free tuition with games that help them have fun whilst learning and doesn't make them wear chinos, to do it.

A relaxed dress code will help younger people see the game as a cooler thing to play.
There shouldn't be a dress code for kids, once a month isn't enough to breed new blood, if you want serious players and involvement it has to be at least once a week.
Golf has relaxed a lot in terms of dress, you no longer have to wear jackets and ties in bar areas in 95% of clubs, smart trainers and golf attire is accepted, don't really see why there is a need to allow people to turn up in hoodies etc

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Including ours Homer, fortunately they don't look like the have come from the ghetto side of Southwell.
We run a junior academy and to be honest the kids turn up in anything from football tops (and seen them in footie boots too), jeans, and hoodies. TO be honest I don't care as long as they enjoy the pro teaching them, they have fun and want to come back. I don't care what they look like, where they come from and how they dress at this stage. Get them having fun and wanting to play golf. Then you can start introducing the right stuff.

D

Deleted member 25172

I’d love to log on to the forum here if a new shorts rule was applied and someone showed up and played in...

BLACK SOCKS!

This forum would go bonkers.

Wolf

Visit site
There shouldn't be a dress code for kids, once a month isn't enough to breed new blood, if you want serious players and involvement it has to be at least once a week.
Golf has relaxed a lot in terms of dress, you no longer have to wear jackets and ties in bar areas in 95% of clubs, smart trainers and golf attire is accepted, don't really see why there is a need to allow people to turn up in hoodies etc
I just pointed out what our pro does for free, there are other incentives in our county where kids can turn up play a 9 hole par 3 course for free including use of clubs. My example was just one of many initiatives that are being done for kids.

Perhaps some people want a more relaxed atmosphere to sit and have a drink in the bar that's a little more inclusive than having to put on a pair of chinos and shoes. I often pop in for a drink or bite to eat on my way home from work as our dress codes is more relaxed but sadly what I wear for work would have me turfed out of probably 90% of clubs.

Also you now say kids shouldn't have a dress code yet don't want relaxed clothing in the game, it's got to be one way or another to breed consistency. Modern golf clothing is getting more relaxed players on tour are wearing it, this breeds changes in golf shops that golfers buy which in turn will lead to changes in clubs attitude to attire.

I

Wolf

Visit site
I’d love to log on to the forum here if a new shorts rule was applied and someone showed up and played in...

BLACK SOCKS!

This forum would go bonkers.
Queue to golfing police shooting you down for blasphemy mentioning black socks with shorts we all know how many pages that thread alone caused last time 😂

Parsaregood

Head Pro
Visit site
I just pointed out what our pro does for free, there are other incentives in our county where kids can turn up play a 9 hole par 3 course for free including use of clubs. My example was just one of many initiatives that are being done for kids.

Perhaps some people want a more relaxed atmosphere to sit and have a drink in the bar that's a little more inclusive than having to put on a pair of chinos and shoes. I often pop in for a drink or bite to eat on my way home from work as our dress codes is more relaxed but sadly what I wear for work would have me turfed out of provably 90% of clubs.

Also you now say kids shouldn't have a dress code yet don't want relaxed clothing in the game, it's got to be one way or another to breed consistency. Modern golf clothing is getting more relaxed players on tour are wearing it, this breeds changes in golf shops that golfers buy which in turn will lead to changes in clubs attitude to attire.
Kids up to the age of 8 or 10 shouldn't have to wear golf clothes, I'd draw the line at football tops though. I wouldn't go to my club in my work clothes as I wear boots, outdoor trousers and a fleece top most of the time but I have no problem getting changed before I go. To use the issue of dress to suggest it's a reason for poor participation is just short sighted, there are far more boundaries up for people. Round here your about 1k for membership of a decent course, then you have to buy clubs etc, driving range. It's just not affordable for a lot of people, sad but true

Wolf

Visit site
Kids up to the age of 8 or 10 shouldn't have to wear golf clothes, I'd draw the line at football tops though. I wouldn't go to my club in my work clothes as I wear boots, outdoor trousers and a fleece top most of the time but I have no problem getting changed before I go. To use the issue of dress to suggest it's a reason for poor participation is just short sighted, there are far more boundaries up for people. Round here your about 1k for membership of a decent course, then you have to buy clubs etc, driving range. It's just not affordable for a lot of people, sad but true
I never cited it is the reason for poor participation I said moving it with the times can only help.

I agree there are other factors and many of them which need addressing but in this case every little helps.

Parsaregood

Head Pro
Visit site
I never cited it is the reason for poor participation I said moving it with the times can only help.

I agree there are other factors and many of them which need addressing but in this case every little helps.
I honestly think you'd see no improvement in participation and I think the dress codes are relaxed enough, you can play golf in tailored shorts if you want at club level. Hooded tops or anything like that is just not on for me and if I was wearing them in a golf club I'd expect to be asked to leave. Thankfully most club golfers are respectful of dress codes and uphold them pretty well.

Birdie2

Club Champion
Visit site
Hooded tops will not attract people to play golf, all sports have a dress code of some kind. The reason golf isn't very popular is it's so expensive, there are no avenues to cheap or free tuition, if you go to a driving range regularly it costs a fortune. You could easily spend 2k on a set of golf clubs. It's not like football where costs are minimal, until there are schemes to get youngsters involved for little or no cost, it will always have the same problem
Old fashioned views such as this are what keeps people away from our sport. Why are you offended about what people are wearing? I don't even notice it as I'm too busy enjoying myself and the company of my playing partners. Couldn't give a monkeys if someone wears a hooded top or not. There are some manufacturers who make them and they're quite smart. Get with the times!!

Parsaregood

Head Pro
Visit site
Old fashioned views such as this are what keeps people away from our sport. Why are you offended about what people are wearing? I don't even notice it as I'm too busy enjoying myself and the company of my playing partners. Couldn't give a monkeys if someone wears a hooded top or not. There are some manufacturers who make them and they're quite smart. Get with the times!!
Because it's disrespectful to the clubs dress codes, if you can afford designer hoodies etc you can afford a golf top and a pair of chinos

D

Deleted member 16999

Because it's disrespectful to the clubs dress codes, if you can afford designer hoodies etc you can afford a golf top and a pair of chinos
Were has anyone said they wear hoodies when clubs don’t allow them?

Even when people on here disagree with a dress code they’ll respect them.

Personally, somebody wearing a hoodie wouldn’t bother me, infact some people’s appearance would be improved if they wore it over the smelly polo and moth eaten jumpers that comply with dress codes.

Parsaregood

Head Pro
Visit site
Were has anyone said they wear hoodies when clubs don’t allow them?

Even when people on here disagree with a dress code they’ll respect them.

Personally, somebody wearing a hoodie wouldn’t bother me, infact some people’s appearance would be improved if they wore it over the smelly polo and moth eaten jumpers that comply with dress codes.
Not in my club they wouldn't as clothing has to be in good condition. As said if you can afford to play at a private club you can afford a golf top, not really sure where a hood would be handy on a golf course but there you go

Birdie2

Club Champion
Visit site
Totally understand. I think the point here is that dress codes need to be reviewed for the younger generation. Millennials etc don't care about your dress code and quite frankly clubs are going to have to change for them, not the other way around

Parsaregood

Head Pro
Visit site
Totally understand. I think the point here is that dress codes need to be reviewed for the younger generation. Millennials etc don't care about your dress code and quite frankly clubs are going to have to change for them, not the other way around
I am a millennial, born 1990.

D

Deleted member 16999

Not in my club they wouldn't as clothing has to be in good condition. As said if you can afford to play at a private club you can afford a golf top, not really sure where a hood would be handy on a golf course but there you go
You can get a Polo for £5.00 in ASDA, I’m pretty confident your dress code doesn’t state brands or minimum cost to be spent.

Lets just say someone has finished their round and wish to take their windproof off, they change in to a smart clean hoody and go in for a drink, is that any different to someone changing into a cardigan with a zip, what’s the issue?

Parsaregood

Head Pro
Visit site
You can get a Polo for £5.00 in ASDA, I’m pretty confident your dress code doesn’t state brands or minimum cost to be spent.

Lets just say someone has finished their round and wish to take their windproof off, they change in to a smart clean hoody and go in for a drink, is that any different to someone changing into a cardigan with a zip, what’s the issue?
A hoodie wouldn't be considered smart casual golf attire and wouldn't be allowed under the rules. Anybody could come in off the street for a drink in a hoody or whatever and nobody would be any the wiser, at least with golf attire it looks smart and you can be sure the people in the club are members or visitors.

D

Deleted member 16999

A hoodie wouldn't be considered smart casual golf attire and wouldn't be allowed under the rules. Anybody could come in off the street for a drink in a hoody or whatever and nobody would be any the wiser, at least with golf attire it looks smart and you can be sure the people in the club are members or visitors.
You do realise fashions change? Jeans were frowned upon because they were work wear, wearing hat’s indoor was frowned upon because they were designed as outdoor wear to protect the head.
Hoodies can look just as casual as a jumper.
Judging people by what they wear and how they look is also an outdated behaviour.
Both Finau and JB Holmes have worn them on the PGA Tour.

Parsaregood

Head Pro
Visit site
Good for them, they'd be asked to take them off where I play. Yes fashions change, have you seen how much golf attire has changed the last 20 years. You cannot wear headgear in our clubhouse, you can't wear jeans either. Perfectly reasonable in my book, there is no reason to wear a hat indoors, nobody would want to play golf in jeans either as they are heavy and restrictive, a hood would flap about in a wind. If you are a private members club and members have no way of distinguishing if someone is a member or a visiting golfer with relative ease, I'm not sure that's a good thing in all honesty.

D

Deleted member 16999

Good for them, they'd be asked to take them off where I play. Yes fashions change, have you seen how much golf attire has changed the last 20 years. You cannot wear headgear in our clubhouse, you can't wear jeans either. Perfectly reasonable in my book, there is no reason to wear a hat indoors, nobody would want to play golf in jeans either as they are heavy and restrictive, a hood would flap about in a wind. If you are a private members club and members have no way of distinguishing if someone is a member or a visiting golfer with relative ease, I'm not sure that's a good thing in all honesty.
Are visitors not members for the day?
Why do they need to be distinguished? Surely everyone member or visitor should respect the dress code of any club they are members of or visit.
Do you look down on private members clubs who allow jeans in the bar or hoodies on the course?

Papas1982

Tour Winner
Banned
Visit site

How does a dress code help you distinguish who is a member or not?

A fully support a private clubs right to decide their dress code, but at the same time think that some of the suggestions look measurably better than plus fours!