Dress Code vs No Dress Code - That is the question...

Hacker Khan

Yurt Dwelling, Yoghurt Knitter
Visit site
My sensible answer is that the vast majority of clubs should adopt the dress code that Troon Golf in the US does. Which says

Attire - Socially accepted golf shirts are appreciated, but your comfort is most important. The nicer you look, the better you will play, so goes the rumor. Shorts can be just about any style, but please do try to present them at a length that everyone wants to look at and remember that gym shorts are for the gym.

Footwear - Footwear is encouraged on the course for reasons of safety and should be of a type and style that will not damage the putting greens. On that note, no high heels, boots or the like please.

For occasions inside the clubhouse, Troon's guidelines include:

Attire - Clubhouse attire should be comfortable and follow event specific requirements. Denim is welcomed in the clubhouse at appropriate times.

Footwear - Footwear is always required in the clubhouse. The club would prefer to see something other than sneakers during dinner hours and special events.

And kind of leave it at that, treat your customers as adults who are capable of deciding what to wear when they are playing a pass time or going for a beer after the game. Golf is mostly an middle/old white mans game in the UK, so the vast majority of golfers would not change a thing and dress as they always have done. I can pretty much guarantee that if this came into force then virtually everyone (including me) would still dress the same in every Saturday/Sunday morning comp, and the worst that would happen is the odd golfer would probably untuck their shirt in hot weather or wear off white socks with shorts. And if that upsets you then it probably says more about you then the person who has untucked their shirt.

The worry that everyone would suddenly turn up in flip flops and jeans at the courses that the vast majority of people on this board play is just silly scaremongering, as they would not.

If a club is steeped in tradition and has a long waiting list then by all means keep the existing dress codes if it means so much to the members. But I imagine the vast majority of courses do not fit into this category, and making the codes more friendly in my opinion can only help expand the attractiveness of the game. But of course other opinions are available. By most people on this board. ;)

Last edited:

sev112

Tour Winner
Visit site
My sensible answer is that the vast majority of clubs should adopt the dress code that Troon Golf in the US does. Which says

Attire - Socially accepted golf shirts are appreciated, but your comfort is most important. The nicer you look, the better you will play, so goes the rumor. Shorts can be just about any style, but please do try to present them at a length that everyone wants to look at and remember that gym shorts are for the gym.

Footwear - Footwear is encouraged on the course for reasons of safety and should be of a type and style that will not damage the putting greens. On that note, no high heels, boots or the like please.

For occasions inside the clubhouse, Troon's guidelines include:

Attire - Clubhouse attire should be comfortable and follow event specific requirements. Denim is welcomed in the clubhouse at appropriate times.

Footwear - Footwear is always required in the clubhouse. The club would prefer to see something other than sneakers during dinner hours and special events.

And kind of leave it at that, treat your customers as adults who are capable of deciding what to wear when they are playing a pass time or going for a beer after the game. Golf is mostly an middle/old white mans game in the UK, so the vast majority of golfers would not change a thing and dress as they always have done. I can pretty much guarantee that if this came into force then virtually everyone (including me) would still dress the same in every Saturday/Sunday morning comp, and the worst that would happen is the odd golfer would probably untuck their shirt in hot weather or wear off white socks with shorts. And if that upsets you then it probably says more about you then the person who has untucked their shirt.

The worry that everyone would suddenly turn up in flip flops and jeans at the courses that the vast majority of people on this board play is just silly scaremongering, as they would not.

If a club is steeped in tradition and has a long waiting list then by all means keep the existing dress codes if it means so much to the members. But I imagine the vast majority of courses do not fit into this category, and making the codes more friendly in my opinion can only help expand the attractiveness of the game. But of course other opinions are available. By most people on this board. ;)

Unbelievably sensible
Unfortunately most golfers insist on rules, most of them so they can point out everyone breaking them

DAVEYBOY

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
When I first started playing golf the thought of having to buy and wear golf gloths put me right off, to the point that I only played my local muni for a year as I liked to wear sports shorts, T shirts and trainers... 3 years on and I own more golf clothes than I do normal clothes and I really enjoy dressing right for the game.

The only rule I would like to see changed slightly would be the shorts rule as I would really like to wear a plain pair of knee length sports material shorts on sunny days.

To add... I'm talking about on course dress and private clubs can shove there shirt and tie in the clubhouse rule where the sun doesn't shine :)

Tashyboy

Please don’t ask to see my tatts 👍
Visit site
What I cannot get my head around is the game is big enough to have and to not have a dress code. The top exclusive courses have a strict dress code and some courses I have played at well you could play in Wellies. The point is you know what the dress code is at your club and if the fact that you cannot wears jeans at your course is your main gripe. Then it's not a bad course is it.
again if you are playing as a guest at another club you know what the dress code is so I cannot see how it is an issue.

one of the lads at work was telling me his society played at an exclusive club which it took them 5years to be accepted. They were all raving about it in the clubhouse afterwards having had a fantastic time. However one of the lads decided to walk up the first fairway with his shirt hanging out and one of the elder members walked over from the 18th and asked him to tuck his shirt in as that was not allowed on there course. A few choice words were exchanged snob etc etc.

A month or so later the society secretary enquired re playing the course again and was politely told to sod off and told why. He was livid. He had flogged his guts off to get at said club and one person who was fully aware of said dress code screwed it up.

me, if you don't like said dress code, don't turn up.

GB72

Money List Winner
Visit site
If you abolished the dress code at my club, the only changes in my approach would, as a whole, benefit the club. I would still play in full golf gear and wear that when I have an after round drink. What would change is that I may go to the practice ground in more relaxed clothes and I am more likely to drop in for food and drink when I am not playing as I can go in wearing the jeans I normally have on.

What I should mention is the hassle I went through last week. I was not playing until 1 so agreed to buy ny wife lubch at the club. What followed was half an hour working out what she vould wear bearing in mind she normally wears smart jeans and does not own trousers that are not dowdy work trousers. We nearly did not go due to the hassle of it all

LanDog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
On the course I think it should be trousers/chinos/fitted shorts, with shorts you should be fine to wear ankle/sport socks and then for the top half smart polo shirts or smart t-shirts should be acceptable for me, tucked in of course.

I don't see anything wrong with a smart/casual button up shirt if you wish.

As for juniors, when I played at Omagh for casual rounds they weren't strict really, you could wear t-shirts, tracksuit bottoms and the like.

For the clubhouse I am strictly against flip-flops and sandals, no one wants to see your manky feet

Jimbooo

Challenge Tour Pro
www.gosimply.com
I couldn't care less what other people wear, they could wear fancy dress for all I care. As long as they treat the course with respect, replace divots, rake sand etc, and don't disrupt others' games, what's the problem?

dufferman

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
No - that would be just very irritating to all - and to some would seem to be taking the P out of the game.

To be fair, it isn't hard to take the P out of golf with some of the fashion sense out there on the course. Plus, I do think that some people can adhere to the 'rules' of golf attire and look worse than those who dress more relaxed but look smart!

Hacker Khan

Yurt Dwelling, Yoghurt Knitter
Visit site
To be fair, it isn't hard to take the P out of golf with some of the fashion sense out there on the course. Plus, I do think that most people that adhere to the 'rules' of golf attire look worse than those who dress more relaxed but look smart!

Just corrected that for you ;)

And I'm including myself in that category.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Another who wants a proportioned dress code. Proper golf shirts, no jeans but with a far less rigid policy to shorts and the always ambiguous length and colour of the socks to go with them. Not a fan of cargo shorts so would prefer a club to enforce tailored shorts.

We did trial a jeans and no sock policy (for those wearing loafer type shoes in the warm) but these were revoked on the request of the members at the last AGM.