PGA Tour Dress code

Parsaregood

Head Pro
Visit site
Now you’ve changed to members turning up! I agree they should know better!
Wolf explained him turning up at his Club as a possible new member in his working Gym clothes and being welcomed, you said your place would turn him away!
Once again your back tracking.
No I'm not I was assuming he was a member or a guest of a member, also who would arrive as a prospective member in gym gear, most would have arranged a meeting and know that smart casual golf attire or a collar is to be expected. If you want to join a club, you obviously would like to make a good impression which in my estimation would entail at least dressing respectably for the occasion

Wolf

Visit site
No I'm not I was assuming he was a member or a guest of a member, also who would arrive as a prospective member in gym gear, most would have arranged a meeting and know that smart casual golf attire or a collar is to be expected. If you want to join a club, you obviously would like to make a good impression which in my estimation would entail at least dressing respectably for the occasion
I would turn up like that because I wasn't initially planning on going there just popped in on way home to see what it looked like and grab a card of the course, but instead was invited in by some very welcoming people that look beyond what I was wearing and didn't assume I was some Chav off the street as I was dressed in what I wear as my business dress..

Edit: your also back tracking with your assumption because at no point have I ever said I wouldn't respect a dress code as a member or guest. Plus I'd already said about how I turned up which you acknowledged so how did you make your assumption considering the facts in front of you clearly said otherwise.. Someone is Changing their words to suits their argument me thinks 🤔

Last edited:

Parsaregood

Head Pro
Visit site
I would turn up like that because I wasn't initially planning on going there just popped in on way home to see what it looked like and grab a card of the course, but instead was invited in by some very welcoming people that look beyond what I was wearing and didn't assume I was some Chav off the street as I was dressed in what I wear as my business dress..
I could pop into the pro shop in my work gear for 5 minutes if I wanted and have done before for one reason or another, I'd more than likely just phone or get changed though as generally my work clothing can be quite dirty from what I do so I'd rather just get changed

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
And a club where you wouldn't be banished to some side entrance in a walk of shame for not being suitable dressed. I'm surprised the golden gates and trained doormen of the OP's club even let anyone not in golf attire onto the premises and that they were scrutinised to ensure that gear was on the "allowed list" (no turtle neck golf shirts or black socks to be seen). Perish the thought you're a delivery driver in a hoodie, dirty trainers and ripped dreams trying to drop something off to the secretary or pro. Fortunately some clubs can see beyond clothing and see what the person is underneath.

Parsaregood

Head Pro
Visit site
And a club where you wouldn't be banished to some side entrance in a walk of shame for not being suitable dressed. I'm surprised the golden gates and trained doormen of the OP's club even let anyone not in golf attire onto the premises and that they were scrutinised to ensure that gear was on the "allowed list" (no turtle neck golf shirts or black socks to be seen). Perish the thought you're a delivery driver in a hoodie, dirty trainers and ripped dreams trying to drop something off to the secretary or pro. Fortunately some clubs can see beyond clothing and see what the person is underneath.
Delivery drivers etc have no issues using any doors as they are dressed as expected for their jobs, I think your just making issues out of nothing. Also I'm not the OP

Wolf

Visit site
I could pop into the pro shop in my work gear for 5 minutes if I wanted and have done before for one reason or another, I'd more than likely just phone or get changed though as generally my work clothing can be quite dirty from what I do so I'd rather just get changed
Except none of what you said here addresses your previous point of why someone would someone turn up to a club like that or my edited point about changing how you're assuming things, if your work clothing is filth ridden then understandable you wouldn't want to turn up like this..

I never made an appointment as wasn't initially intending to go to the club nor did I expect to be allowed in, but was welcomed in anyway regardless of my attire and shown round the club and facilities without anyone flinching about how I was dressed. I've never said I don't respect a clubs dress code or flount it in anyway or rebel against it. You also stated golf specific clothing only and mentioned some acceptable brands, made assumptions outside of golfing arena about someone's ability to carry out a role for which they'd be highly qualified for.

You've made your stance on how you judge people quite clear yet are back tracking by now saying you were making certain assumptions etc even though the facts were there in front of you with no need to assume anything.

Parsaregood

Head Pro
Visit site
Except none of what you said here addresses your previous point of why someone would someone turn up to a club like that or my edited point about changing how you're assuming things, if your work clothing is filth ridden then understandable you wouldn't want to turn up like this..

I never made an appointment as wasn't initially intending to go to the club nor did I expect to be allowed in, but was welcomed in anyway regardless of my attire and shown round the club and facilities without anyone flinching about how I was dressed. I've never said I don't respect a clubs dress code or flount it in anyway or rebel against it. You also stated golf specific clothing only and mentioned some acceptable brands, made assumptions outside of golfing arena about someone's ability to carry out a role for which they'd be highly qualified for.

You've made your stance on how you judge people quite clear yet are back tracking by now saying you were making certain assumptions etc even though the facts were there in front of you with no need to assume anything.
I don't judge people any more than your average guy, you made the point of if a dr was covered in lots of visible tattoos would I have concerns, yes I would as I don't feel it's professional for somebody like this to be showing various body markings etc if a tree surgeon turned up to fell a 100ft tree in a suit would you be concerned ? It wouldn't be professional of him to do this. Also humans make judgements of people subconsciously and if you think you don't you are kidding yourself on or you must be a physiological marvel of some kind, we've been doing this since the dawn of mankind. I'm not backtracking, though people making silly scenarios of delivery drivers etc is just trying to make something out of nothing. We have dress codes in golf like it or not, if you don't play somewhere there are none, it really is that simple

Wolf

Visit site
I don't judge people, you made the point of if a dr was covered in lots of visible tattoos would I have concerns, yes I would as I don't feel it's professional for somebody like this to be showing various body markings etc if a tree surgeon turned up to fell a 100ft tree in a suit would you be concerned ? It wouldn't be professional of him to do this. Also humans make judgements of people subconsciously and if you think you don't you are kidding yourself on or you must be a physiological marvel of some kind, we've been doing this since the dawn of mankind. I'm not backtracking, though people making silly scenarios of delivery drivers etc is just trying to make something out of nothing. We have dress codes in golf like it or not, if you don't play somewhere there are none, it really is that simple
Wow could you back track any further... You made the initial posts about certain workers and what they wear and how you judge them, I merely added the Dr analogy off the back of what you'd already posted and how you stated you would judge people based on this.

You also posted how you do judge people now your opening gambit here is you don't judge people, then go onto state it's human to judge and I must be a miracle that I don't do so.. So which is it you don't judge, you do judge or I'm a freak of nature. If that's not back tracking even in the same post let alone how you already have in this thread then I don't know what it is.

Im no marvel nor am I kidding myself, I genuinely don't judge people based on what they wear or what I first see I wasn't brought up that way, plus life has taught me appearances can be deceiving so I make a point of not judging people on what they look like.

As for the silly scenarios we'll considering you began those with the things you previously posted it's only naturally understandable that others have then done the same as you yourself have..

We do have dress codes and at no point have I or any other poster said they don't respect them, abide by them or flount them in anyway but that doesn't mean we can't question them or think that in future they will have to change.

Last edited:

Parsaregood

Head Pro
Visit site
Wow could you back track any further... You made the initial posts about certain workers and what they wear and how you judge them, I merely added the Dr analogy off the back of what you'd already posted and how you stated you would judge people based on this.

You also posted how you do judge people now your opening gambit here is you don't judge people, then go onto state it's human to judge and I must be a miracle that I don't do so.. So which is it you don't judge, you do judge or I'm a freak of nature. If that's not back tracking even in the same post let alone how you already have in this thread then I don't know what it is.

Im no marvel nor am I kidding myself, I genuinely don't judge people based on what they wear or what I first see I wasn't brought up that way, plus life has taught me appearances can be deceiving so I make a point of not judging people on what they look like.

As for the silly scenarios we'll considering you began those l with the things you previously posted it's only naturally understandable that others have then done the same as you yourself have..

We do have dress codes and at no point have I or any other poster said they don't respect them, abide by them or flount them in anyway but that doesn't mean we can't question them or think that in future they will have to change.
I said judge people any more than the average guy, and if you think when you meet somebody if you haven't judged them subconsciously In the first 30 seconds you genuinely must be an anomaly for a fact

Wolf

Visit site
I said judge people any more than the average guy, and if you think when you meet somebody if you haven't judged them subconsciously In the first 30 seconds you genuinely must be an anomaly for a fact
So you do judge then, so why say you don't.. Or make it like the average guy not everyone is the same
And I'm not an anomaly I'm just a human that makes choice not to judge people. Based on your comments alone in this thread and how you have changed what you said and post how others made up scenarios yet you began them based on your judgemental attitude shows to that the way I choose to be is right for me and will teach my kids the same not to judge on appearance alone or the hearsay of others.

You do a good job though of not acknowledging the fact nobody has at any point said they'll ignore dress codes but think they need to change.

Jacko_G

Blackballed
Visit site
Amazing how people can think themselves better than others by simply putting a pair of trousers on! Thought society had moved on a bit!

That's not how I read or view his opinion. Having a certain standard doesn't mean you think you are better than somebody.

Personally I wouldn't wear a "hoodie" when golfing, I wouldn't wear jeans when golfing but that is just me. I don't think they look smart or are golfing attire but that is just my opinion. Doesn't mean that I think I'm better than them.

Parsaregood

Head Pro
Visit site
So you do judge then, so why say you don't..
And I'm not an anomaly I'm just a human that makes choice not to judge people. Based on your comments alone in this thread and how you have changed what you said and post how others made up scenarios yet you began them based on your judgemental attitude shows to that the way I choose to be is right for me and will teach my kids the same not to judge on appearance alone or the hearsay of others.

You do a good job though of not acknowledging the fact nobody has at any point said they'll ignore dress codes but think they need to change.
You make the attempt to try not to judge people but you still do it's a fact. You cannot change the way the brain has evolved to work no matter how hard you try. Have you ever read any books on human psychology?

D

Deleted member 16999

That's not how I read or view his opinion. Having a certain standard doesn't mean you think you are better than somebody.

Personally I wouldn't wear a "hoodie" when golfing, I wouldn't wear jeans when golfing but that is just me. I don't think they look smart or are golfing attire but that is just my opinion. Doesn't mean that I think I'm better than them.
I wouldn’t wear a hoodie or jeans either on a golf course, but my post was in reply to a succession of posts and him judging someone wearing them in the clubhouse and how that person would be conceived.

Wolf

Visit site
You make the attempt to try not to judge people but you still do it's a fact. You cannot change the way the brain has evolved to work no matter how hard you try. Have you ever read any books on human psychology?
You cannot tell me what I factually do as you aren't me.. And yes I have read books on psychology actually many of them

Jacko_G

Blackballed
Visit site
You've posted nearly 40 times on the subject of dress codes and as a collective I've rarely ready anything so elitist, snobbish and out of touch with the way a large proportion of clubs, including private member clubs like mine are addressing the subject of dress codes. The bit about being to differentiate between members and people coming off the street was particular forum gold.

The whole PGA thread has been totally hijacked and derailed by your views on the subject of dress codes. For the record, mine, along with the majority have very clear definitions of what can and can't be worn on the course and in the clubhouse and I'd expect members to adhere to that and the club staff to pull members and visitors up on anything that may not comply, but do so in a polite fashion and not the "dress code gestapo" that was prevalent in so many clubs until a few years back. At mine, jeans are more than welcome for members and visitors alike in the 19th and also for the record we have a lot of parents using our clubhouse while their kids are at the junior academy and some may even have jeans and trainers. Guess what, it's not the end of the world as we know it and the fact they may be buying drinks and food for the kids after means they are spending cash with us. What would you do? Banish them to their car and never see them or their kids again

I've often been accused of writing crap "to get the post count up" but with your 40 posts a day, mainly on this I've think you've raised the bar to a new level

It really doesn't matter what you or anyone lese thinks, its his opinion. Opinions on an internet forum, God forbid.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
This topic has really meandered away from the original point. Whatever your views on dress codes, the fact is the PGA have allowed collarless shirts, trainer-style shoes, jogger-style trousers with gathered bottoms and high ankles, hooded jumpers, and all manner of lary trousers with ridiculous designs, but continue to disallow tailored shorts. That inconsistency is bizarre as I would have thought all the above contravene the 'traditional' dress before tailored shorts do!

Talking about jeans, tattoos, hoodies and what-have-you is besides the issue, surely 99.9% if not 100% of our clubs allow tailored shorts don't they??

Parsaregood

Head Pro
Visit site
This topic has really meandered away from the original point. Whatever your views on dress codes, the fact is the PGA have allowed collarless shirts, trainer-style shoes, jogger-style trousers with gathered bottoms and high ankles, hooded jumpers, and all manner of lary trousers with ridiculous designs, but continue to disallow tailored shorts. That inconsistency is bizarre as I would have thought all the above contravene the 'traditional' dress before tailored shorts do!

Talking about jeans, tattoos, hoodies and what-have-you is besides the issue, surely 99.9% if not 100% of our clubs allow tailored shorts don't they??
Yes there is no issue with tailored shorts or smart casual golfing attire or attire associated with golf which can actually be quite stylish.

Jacko_G

Blackballed
Visit site
Well that was a good read.

Clubs with dress codes are entitled to enforce said dress codes, you don't want to respect said dress code - I guess you are going to be asked to leave. I don't have any issue with that.

Turning up in work clothing to then get changed into our golf gear, I'd be surprised if anyone on here hasn't done so.