Masters 2019

D

Deleted member 21258

Last two groups, 4 out of the last 6 people double bogey 12 being greedy and going for the flag. Bet they are all looking back at that hole and thinking what if.....

No doubt helped that Molli had already gone in the water. Tiger edged his bets, stayed patience and played safe with the sensible shot to the middle of the green.

Amazing to watch him win a major again.

larmen

Head Pro
Visit site
Last two groups, 4 out of the last 6 people double bogey 12 being greedy and going for the flag. Bet they are all looking back at that hole and thinking what if.....

No doubt helped that Molli had already gone in the water. Tiger edged his bets, stayed patience and played safe with the sensible shot to the middle of the green.

They were all playing for the win. Imagine laying up and because of that missing on the win, would probably feel worse for them. The whole 'honour thing' of going 1st is not necessarily an advantage.

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site

They all had to go for it bar mollerani.. he could have laid up and maintained his advantage .. mistake there

The rest had to go as their chasing

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
I really felt for Molinari especially the second time he dunked it wet after it hit the tree

The 12th was where it opened up to everyone to make their case to win, the 16th is where Tiger shut the door & his subsequent tee shot on 17th was just superb

They were all playing for the win. Imagine laying up and because of that missing on the win, would probably feel worse for them. The whole 'honour thing' of going 1st is not necessarily an advantage.

Agree, although it totally helped Tiger to be first away on 16th and pile it on

Carpfather1

Head Pro
Visit site
Glad to see tiger do it ,I’ve been a long term tiger fan since I was kid (grew up watching him)it goes to show how good he is when you look at his 6 th in the world golf ranking .
Tiger has played in 40 events while Johnson and co all 47ect give tiger another 7 events and I think he would be pushing for number 1 again the closest to him really is koepka as he has only played 44 events

Attachments

• 8AFB8448-A0CD-4FD1-9487-F96945280CC9.png
    8AFB8448-A0CD-4FD1-9487-F96945280CC9.png
    759.3 KB · Views: 16
D

Deleted member 21258

They all had to go for it bar mollerani.. he could have laid up and maintained his advantage .. mistake there

The rest had to go as their chasing

I didn't mean to suggest to lay up, why would they lay up, there are not hackers:LOL:

They should have gone middle of the green, the 12th is always to a risky hole to go for that right pin, go in the water and you are looking at a double. Put it in the middle and putt for a safe par or if lucky a birdie or if not a great shot at worse a bogey.

Plenty of other birdie/eagle chances after 12 that are unlikely to end in a double if you get it wrong.

D

Deleted member 1147

If watching the Masters for the last 29 years has taught me anything, it is that you don't chase the Sunday pin on the 12th hole.
You take a (relatively) stress free par and run to the next hole.

The chasing is done on the par 5's

Jacko_G

Blackballed
Visit site
His personal life is not being picked apart, it's been well documented. It's come up because of the debate about whether or not he is the greatest golfer of all time. Some people are prepared to overlook the indiscretions and judge him purely on his golfing ability, others among us consider that there is more to golf and life, and therefore aren't prepared to overlook the indiscretions when making their judgement on who they consider to be the greatest.

I don't think anyone has suggested he can't play the game & to suggest otherwise is a little disingenuous.

I'd suggest that everyone has little secrets and indiscretions in their past regardless of who you are, most people just don't have their lives played out and scrutinized by the press. What Tiger did was wrong and he had admitted that, move on with it.

You can only beat someone with a stick for so long before that stick breaks.

Grant85

Head Pro
Visit site

I think a big advantage for Tiger playing after Molinari there. There was obviously a big breeze that wasn't evident on the ground. But if Frankie had stuck it in to 6 or 8 feet, then Tiger would have had to play the same shot. I'm sure Frankie would have happily drawn lots there to see who went 1st, rather than having the honour.

Molinari had a 2 shot lead at that point and should have played the shot over the bunker. The theory being, it's a shorter carry and if you are short then likely to only be in the bunker and the worst you can make is 4.

Be very interesting to see how Tiger goes from here. I was certainly of the camp that I didn't think he'd win another major, or even a full field tour event. There's too many other good players around and it was likely there would always be someone one shot better than him. Augusta was always going to be the venue for him though, given wide fairways and the premium on approach play as opposed to driving or putting.

Expectations have now ramped up massively for Tiger. This could definitely help him if he can get the fear factor back.

Also immense to see Tiger really getting into the victory and being deliriously happy. This is definitely a fair criticism of him in the past that he was a bit robotic and his reaction was more of 'just another day at the office' - especially making a 2 putt bogey to win by 1. Couldn't help but smile at the sporting achievement, even though I'm not a huge Tiger fan.

MegaSteve

Tour Winner
Visit site
I dont see it like that, he fininshed -11 and was +2 on the day, played the first 11 very well. Tiger had very lucky breaks at 13 and 10 or 11 getting lines of sight after poor tee shots.
Molinari should have played for the bunkers on 12, that was his one mistake, he didn't mishit it, the wind swirls, he went for the flag and he was a few feet short due to wind. He birdied 13 I think straight after so the head hadn't gone. No way did the wheels come off like Rory in 2010 was it?
With 15 he looked like a safe 5 but caught a branch, not a mishit or chunk, bit of bad luck after getting out of position from tee and slightly overhitting the shot back into play. Hadn't clipped the branch he could easily have forced the play off.

Ifs buts and maybes now but not a choke imo.

For me, sadly, he looked a bit overwhelmed by the occasion... When the cameras zoomed in on him he had the look of a little boy that's lost his mum...

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Good point about the fear factor. It will never go back to what it was in his pomp where it appeared at times that if he was leading into the final round everyone was playing for 2nd. I think though if he's in the hunt in other majors and PGA events, some will look over their shoulders, and a bit like Molinari chasing the flag at 12, play inappropriate shots. Experience, especially around Augusta is crucial and Woods has it in spades. I think Molinari will come back bigger and stronger next year and it wouldn't surprise me to see him come close to retaining the Open. A man who seems to have found something inside himself along with a stronger all round game

triple_bogey

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Good morning everyone.....what a Sunday finish. Not gonna lie but the scenes after the final putt bought tears to my eyes.

Haters still got the bitter salty taste's in their mouths? May I suggest chewing gum :LOL:

D

Deleted member 16999

Good point about the fear factor. It will never go back to what it was in his pomp where it appeared at times that if he was leading into the final round everyone was playing for 2nd. I think though if he's in the hunt in other majors and PGA events, some will look over their shoulders, and a bit like Molinari chasing the flag at 12, play inappropriate shots. Experience, especially around Augusta is crucial and Woods has it in spades. I think Molinari will come back bigger and stronger next year and it wouldn't surprise me to see him come close to retaining the Open. A man who seems to have found something inside himself along with a stronger all round game
In his interview afterwards Molinari said he’d watched Simpson play an 8I and go through the back, he hit his 8I shot and the wind got up through the trees, he got a birdie on the next hole to get one shot back, he said it was the 15th that cost him the most.

rudebhoy

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
It would have been interesting if Koepka had rolled in his birdie putt on 18.

Thought Tiger looked a nervous wreck on 18. Poor tee shot, 2nd shot looked like a complete mishit. Was half expecting him to miss the second putt, but glad he sunk it.

TheDiablo

Challenge Tour Pro
Banned
Visit site
In his interview afterwards Molinari said he’d watched Simpson play an 8I and go through the back, he hit his 8I shot and the wind got up through the trees, he got a birdie on the next hole to get one shot back, he said it was the 15th that cost him the most.

Err, no he didn't. He said he clubbed it right but didn't hit the shot hard enough.

How would he have known what club Webb Simpson used?!

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
It would have been interesting if Koepka had rolled in his birdie putt on 18.

Thought Tiger looked a nervous wreck on 18. Poor tee shot, 2nd shot looked like a complete mishit. Was half expecting him to miss the second putt, but glad he sunk it.

Agree, I think in his head he was still very much game on when playing 17 but his 18 tee shot was poor and 2nd even worse (but I suspect he knew by the time he hit the 2nd that a 5 would be enough but the sound of the strike sure made me wince)

triple_bogey

Tour Rookie
Visit site
People that know ;)..........anyone notice how when TW went to greet the other players, Koepka immediately went to stand in front of his girlfriend Jena.... :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::love: #insidejoke