Handicaps....what changes would you make?

Hobbit

Mordorator
Visit site
I agree with the 10 cards for handicapping purposes, but say that a min of 5 must be in competition. All away cards, including 4 ball comps to be returned, so that it could be determined if someone is managing their handicap with singles cards but scooping in the 4 balls.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
With the current handicap system being reviewed, what changes would you make?
Personally I would make it so that every card is submitted regardless of whether it's a qualifier or social game.
That to me would mean handicaps are more reflective of your game and also take away that fear that grips many as soon as a qualifier card is in their hand.
What do you think?
I don't think all cards should be handed in at all, that's an awful idea. When I'm playing with my pals I use these rounds to practise tricky shots and practise my worst clubs, whereas on competition rounds I'm a lot more sensible. If everything I did counted towards my handicap I'd just be playing safe golf 100% of the time. No fun in that.

There's no way you could regulate it anyway. If Player A (non-member) books a tee time, plays with Player B (who is a club member) but then Player A marks the scores and takes the card home with him, who would ever know Player B even played that day? And playing on other courses you've all got to mark cards for each other, take them and hand them into your respective clubs? So much hassle for friendly games.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
I don't think all cards should be handed in at all, that's an awful idea. When I'm playing with my pals I use these rounds to practise tricky shots and practise my worst clubs, whereas on competition rounds I'm a lot more sensible. If everything I did counted towards my handicap I'd just be playing safe golf 100% of the time. No fun in that.

There's no way you could regulate it anyway. If Player A (non-member) books a tee time, plays with Player B (who is a club member) but then Player A marks the scores and takes the card home with him, who would ever know Player B even played that day? And playing on other courses you've all got to mark cards for each other, take them and hand them into your respective clubs? So much hassle for friendly games.

agree with this 100% - awful idea.

D

Deleted member 15344

ESR notifications are automatic but do not have to be implemented (unfortunately)

The 7 consecutive.1 only trigger a report for review but don't have to be implemented.

ESR are now automatically implemented - there is no longer an option to not implement them , been that way for 18 months now

AmandaJR

Money List Winner
Visit site
Other sports I've done you enter events, pay an entry fee and know you won't win BUT the aim is to beat your previous best. In road running and triathlon that can be a hefty entry fee but doesn't seem to hurt participation.

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Other sports I've done you enter events, pay an entry fee and know you won't win BUT the aim is to beat your previous best. In road running and triathlon that can be a hefty entry fee but doesn't seem to hurt participation.

do you seriously think removing handicaps wouldnt affect competition entries?

AmandaJR

Money List Winner
Visit site
do you seriously think removing handicaps wouldnt affect competition entries?

I really don't know and was just putting it out there for debate. People (me included) get hung up on the number and just heading out trying to do your best and beat your previous best seems a positive. Is it really ALL about winning? Is that the main/only reason people enter competitions in all different sports/pasttimes? I'd argue not and we just accept golf tries to level the playing field and make it more difficult to win the better you are!

Edit - just thinking...if I entered a road race and was given a mile head start over the quicker runners would I enter? Not a chance...

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
I really don't know and was just putting it out there for debate. People (me included) get hung up on the number and just heading out trying to do your best and beat your previous best seems a positive. Is it really ALL about winning? Is that the main/only reason people enter competitions in all different sports/pasttimes? I'd argue not and we just accept golf tries to level the playing field and make it more difficult to win the better you are!

I think its a massive factor behind why a lot play yes, in theory the handicap system enables everyone to compete with everyone else and that is one of the big attractions of the game

Would I enter comps with zero chance of winning, I guess the answer is yes as I have done in the past (albeit I had a small illusion of having a chance), would I enter as many comps, probably not. Surely that becomes even worse for a high handicapper, I just dont see the interest, people would more likely play in their own groups where they could contrive a level playing field using some sort of handicap system!

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Why would a high h/c pay to enter a competition that they absolutely can not win? I don't pay into longest drive comps on society days because I know I won't win. I, and many others, would just play social golf if there were no h/c. H/c keep competition numbers up.

Old Skier

Tour Winner
Visit site
Why would a high h/c pay to enter a competition that they absolutely can not win? I don't pay into longest drive comps on society days because I know I won't win. I, and many others, would just play social golf if there were no h/c. H/c keep competition numbers up.

I run 3 golf societies- no longest drives but do nearest the pin in 2 on a couple of par 4's. Get some stick from the big hitters.

Val

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
The current system is-
ESR reductions are automatic and are triggered with score of 4 better than handicap
7 consecutive 0.1 increases trigger a handicap review

The current problem with a lot of swindles is that are not played to qualifying rules. Everyone I play in allows gimmes and one I play in still uses 3/4 for stableford.

No ESR on Scotland though

FairwayDodger

Money List Winner
Visit site

Plenty of people enter comps they have little or no chance of winning. The prospect of winning doesn't even come into my thinking when deciding to enter something or not.

Region3

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site

Maybe 'absolutely can not win' would be a little too strong a phrase, but why would a low hc enter a comp they have very little chance of winning?

We have 4 players at 2 or less, and to win 4 out of our last 7 comps they would have had to beat the course record by either 2 or 3 strokes.

They still enter comps, because they want to lower their handicaps to have even less chance of winning the next one.