Handicaps....what changes would you make?

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
Maybe 'absolutely can not win' would be a little too strong a phrase, but why would a low hc enter a comp they have very little chance of winning?

We have 4 players at 2 or less, and to win 4 out of our last 7 comps they would have had to beat the course record by either 2 or 3 strokes.

They still enter comps, because they want to lower their handicaps to have even less chance of winning the next one.

This. It works both ways yet the arguments are always made from the high handicappers point of view. I have never entered a competition to win it - just try to play my best and hopefully get a cut (which as you say makes winning even less likely). Why not enter a comp for the challenge of the comp itself. Why not to put yourself against your peers and see how you fare. Why not to beat your last best score. Why not to see if you can beat the guy who you always just lose to...

All this talk of winning or if you can't don't bother competing....as I said in most other sports it is the norm yet they still have plenty of participation.

Totally agree, this always get trotted out, but I don't ever enter a comp to win it , but to play the best i can and maybe get a cut.

TBH, we have a load of scratch and plus handicap players at my club, doesn't stop me entering the scratch events we have.

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
For all you saying that you dont enter the competition to win (or have a chance of winning) you do realise you are in the minority dont you? Not everyone enters to win but a large proportion certainly do

AmandaJR

Money List Winner
Visit site
For all you saying that you dont enter the competition to win (or have a chance of winning) you do realise you are in the minority dont you? Not everyone enters to win but a large proportion certainly do

Not sure, but those that tend to agree are low handicappers who strive to improve, all the time knowing their chances of winning are getting slimmer.

Is competitive golf really important in terms of participation in the sport - perhaps it is in fact a complication/demand that many aren't interested in.

Old Skier

Tour Winner
Visit site
I sort of see this. I resent it when playing in a mixed event if there is only one longest drive hole rather than separate male/female holes as it greatly reduces my chance of winning. Although if they picked a hole with the red tees 50 yards up the fairway there might be a few disgruntled men...
So your intention is to be competitive enough to win.

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Not sure, but those that tend to agree are low handicappers who strive to improve, all the time knowing their chances of winning are getting slimmer.

Is competitive golf really important in terms of participation in the sport - perhaps it is in fact a complication/demand that many aren't interested in.

Participation in the sport, not so sure, participation in regular club comps almost definitely and without that then there is surely a knock on effect to club memberships etc

We get between 60 and 100 runners in our comps, the two that are scratch only we struggle to get double figure entrants. Im not saying only reason people play is to win just that its nice to feel that you have some chance however small before you start