Golf Things That Gladden The Heart

Crow

Crow Person
Visit site
In a lesson - being told that I am hitting my 5i fine - that my shots with it look poor and don’t go any further than when using my 7i is simply down to my not having sufficient clubhead speed to make the club work for me. I am hitting it fine. But if I want to hit a 5i the distance and carry I’d expect I have to significantly increase clubhead speed - and that isn’t going to be easy for me. It’s both an age thing and a ‘what do I want to get out of my golf’ thing.

Now that’s an irritation…but actually on reflection it’s a good thing as I can stop trying to hit my 5i thinking I’ll be able to carry 160yds and hit it maybe 175yds. I can still carry it to use it in different ways.

That understanding and reaching acceptance over it means I can look at a 5 or 6 hybrid that will give me that carry and distance without having to increase my clubhead speed. And that gladdens the heart.

You're 5 iron is probably the equivalent of an old 3 iron.

All the stars have to be aligned and I have to be wearing my lucky socks for me to get enough clubhead speed for a decent 3 iron shot, but I still carry them (and 2 irons if they're in the set) as I enjoy having a go.

The pleasure of the occasional fine shot gives me more satisfaction than an index number.

Mel Smooth

Hacker
Visit site
Whenever Jamie posts a good round he refuses to look at his score differences to work out what his new handicap will be - I always do the calcs but don't tell him so he can turn on his phone in the morning and see what he's got down to.

He'll be delighted this morning, knocked 1.7 off his H.I overnight, and taken himself into the top 10% across club, county and country. (y)

In addition - he was out with one of the other juniors, aged 10 - he shot an 80 - his lowest round to date and his first single figure over par round.
Superb to see both lads absolutely beaming as they came up the last.

Attachments

• 7.4 handicap.png
    7.4 handicap.png
    46.1 KB · Views: 7
Last edited:

MACM85

Visit site
It was the G430 SFT - it has been out a little while I guess hence it's a little lower in price. Strangely we had the best results at 9°, against the 10.5° my current one is in.

Did you notice if it straightened up your shot compared to the Max?

Will the order for a new driver be going in?

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Did you notice if it straightened up your shot compared to the Max?

Will the order for a new driver be going in?
Yeah, I kinda thought we'd be looking at the Max 10k since everyone raves about it, but since that isn't actually a draw-biased driver it wouldn't do much for me. I tested the draw-biased models from Callaway, TaylorMade and Cobra but Ping came out on top (as they usually do for me). I even hit a couple of small draws off the centre line with that one. Generally I'm a fader who's been more of a slicer of late. We went to the Hazrdus RDX 50 shaft too, which I'm not sure of the benefit for to be honest, but it is a tad lighter so gave me more speed I believe.

I'm just waiting a couple of weeks until my birthday when I've got a bit of cash and then I will take the plunge, yeah.

rudebhoy

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
It was the G430 SFT - it has been out a little while I guess hence it's a little lower in price. Strangely we had the best results at 9°, against the 10.5° my current one is in.
I’ve got a G425 SFT and am toying with tuning it down from 10.5 to 9. I drive well generally however they can go pretty high and slightly right to left, I’m hoping that taking it down to 9 will take a little bit of height off as well being a bit straighter - was that your experience?