Best tips you received that made a difference to your game?

Mel Smooth

Hacker
Visit site
Here’s one of my own that I’ll share.

When playing a bunker shot use the Spanish pronunciation of Acceleracion rather than the English Acceleration.

The former will give you a more explosive impact.

Rlburnside

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
A old boy gave me this tip not long after I started playing, whenever possible always put from around the fringe of the green.

He told me to go and practice this hit ten balls with whatever club you normally use then hit ten puts and the percentage of puts will be better.

Trouble is I’m that old boy now. 😂

Neilds

Assistant Pro
Visit site
A old boy gave me this tip not long after I started playing, whenever possible always put from around the fringe of the green.

He told me to go and practice this hit ten balls with whatever club you normally use then hit ten puts and the percentage of puts will be better.

Trouble is I’m that old boy now. 😂
Surely you must have a chipper then? :cool:

Bratty

Princess Pouty (Queen of Fish Lips)
Visit site
"Don't lose ten Euro!" was a swing thought I was given by a Portuguese pro in the Algarve.
We were about to have a full 18 hole playing lesson (€140 which I felt was a bargain!) and on the range, he felt I was very off-balance and wanted me to feel a smoother transition, but didn't want to give me complex weight-transfer instructions or the like.
So he simply said every time I lost my balance on the course, I would owe him ten Euro, so my thought should be, "don't lose ten Euro!".
Worked wonders too.
And no, he didn't ask for the €40 I owed him at the end.

Mandofred

Visit site
In my very early golfing years, I used to get overly upset at duffing etc. My good friend, and equally poor golfer, told me “You aren’t good enough to get angry”.
I try to remember that advice, but not always successfully.
I've always hated sayings like that (in a non-hateful way :) ). You don't have to be a pro to take playing seriously. I have the opposite view....if playing like crap doesn't drive you nuts, maybe you should give up golf and just go for a walk....it's cheaper. I'm a masochist. The ups and downs are what keep me interested. It wouldn't be any fun if I played great every time....boring.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
I've always hated sayings like that (in a non-hateful way :) ). You don't have to be a pro to take playing seriously. I have the opposite view....if playing like crap doesn't drive you nuts, maybe you should give up golf and just go for a walk....it's cheaper. I'm a masochist. The ups and downs are what keep me interested. It wouldn't be any fun if I played great every time....boring.
Agree with you. I get angry sometimes, other times just sad when I've played badly. But I am like that with any sport, if I don't meet the levels that I know I'm capable of, then I find it annoying. If you didn't care if you play well or badly then why bother playing at all?

NearHull

Visit site
Agree with you. I get angry sometimes, other times just sad when I've played badly. But I am like that with any sport, if I don't meet the levels that I know I'm capable of, then I find it annoying. If you didn't care if you play well or badly then why bother playing at all?
I think you misunderstood me a little. I get annoyed at messing up, I just try not to get angry. Being angry impacts the next shot.

Mandofred

Visit site
I think you misunderstood me a little. I get annoyed at messing up, I just try not to get angry. Being angry impacts the next shot.
I get that. I don't know if Orikoru has the same attitude, but I've spent yearssssssss having people tell me that I have the wrong attitude because I get pissed at myself for playing badly. I don't think that "they" have the wrong attitude because they don't seem to care much at all. It's "their" attitude....it's what they want to get out of their round of golf. My goal isn't to just have a nice walk.....I can do that and not pay £££. I'm playing golf to try to hit every ball as perfectly as possible. That's not the "right" attitude....it's not the "wrong" attitude.....It's MY attitude. Having someone tell me that I should change and go emotionless is just the old golf crap wanting people to fit in with the old school blandness......

D-S

Visit site
I get that. I don't know if Orikoru has the same attitude, but I've spent yearssssssss having people tell me that I have the wrong attitude because I get pissed at myself for playing badly. I don't think that "they" have the wrong attitude because they don't seem to care much at all. It's "their" attitude....it's what they want to get out of their round of golf. My goal isn't to just have a nice walk.....I can do that and not pay £££. I'm playing golf to try to hit every ball as perfectly as possible. That's not the "right" attitude....it's not the "wrong" attitude.....It's MY attitude. Having someone tell me that I should change and go emotionless is just the old golf crap wanting people to fit in with the old school blandness......
I just guess that your ‘attitude’ makes other think that you are a difficult/awkward person to play with, rightly or wrongly. Personally I don’t like having to walk on eggshells around playing partners who might explode at any time. This is especially true as they are loudly bemoaning their latest shot which is better than Tour average but not good enough for them.

Mandofred

Visit site
I just guess that your ‘attitude’ makes other think that you are a difficult/awkward person to play with, rightly or wrongly. Personally I don’t like having to walk on eggshells around playing partners who might explode at any time. This is especially true as they are loudly bemoaning their latest shot which is better than Tour average but not good enough for them.
Fair enough.....lots of things put me off as well. The biggest one is someone saying "good shot" as soon as you hit the ball.....whether it goes in the woods or the fairway....just gets up my nose. Why do they have to say anything at all?

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Certainly agree with that as well. I can't stop the anger coming but I definitely have improved upon getting it all out of my system before the next shot or hole. 👍🏻

NearHull

Visit site
I think it was Tiger who said that he gave himself 20 seconds to ‘beat himself up” ( my words obviously) after a bad shot, but then wiped it from his mind to make sure any anger was dissipated before he played his next.

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
Aim for the middle of the green
On an average golf course, 150yds to the middle is 165 to the back.
I used to aim towards the back to take the front bunkers out of play. So 150 would be 160.
Obviously that would change if I could see if the flag was right at the front
You don't see many bunkers through the back of greens

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
I used to aim towards the back to take the front bunkers out of play. So 150 would be 160.
Yes - I don't remember if I was given this as a tip or worked it out myself, but I usually get the yardage for the back of the green and the middle of the green and hit a club that sits nicely between the two. Even if the flag is at the right I'll probably take the same approach. Only time I club for the front of the green is on the two or three holes at my course where the greens slope away from you - since clubbing for middle will you roll through the back and over a steep bank.

Backache

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I like taking a distance between the middle and the back or for a long shot 9over about 150 yds for me) using the back yardage but that's because I'm more likely to make a poor strike. There are not many holes on our course where you are better missing long than short. The greens mostly slope back to front making chips more difficult and that's if you can find and access your ball. The rough behind the greens and often not very far behind them is generally pretty severe.

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
I like taking a distance between the middle and the back or for a long shot 9over about 150 yds for me) using the back yardage but that's because I'm more likely to make a poor strike. There are not many holes on our course where you are better missing long than short. The greens mostly slope back to front making chips more difficult and that's if you can find and access your ball. The rough behind the greens and often not very far behind them is generally pretty severe.
I did say 150 becomes 160 so a perfect strike won't go through the back if the back is 165.
If you club to 150 and you don't get a perfect strike you are bringing the front bunkers into play.

Backache

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I did say 150 becomes 160 so a perfect strike won't go through the back if the back is 165.
If you club to 150 and you don't get a perfect strike you are bringing the front bunkers into play.
Fair point at those distances but a little shorter if sitting in the light rough I've had a few flier lies in my time that have taken me over the back.