Best tips you received that made a difference to your game?

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
I'm another that has the ball miles forward in my stance when putting. It has definitely helped me too, particularly with the strike/contact. It feels more 'solid.'
I have it forward in my stance but not a long way, just a ball or two forward of middle. I had a putting lesson a few years ago and he advised to do that. It definitely promotes a better roll on the ball as you hit it slightly on the up instead of towards the ground.

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
@clubchamp98 how far left do you aim then?
Well it depends on the length of putt obviously.

But on a four footer about 1/2 a ball.
It’s really strange that I can aim left but hit it straight.
Takes some getting used to.

Mike Malaska does a good vid on this on YouTube.

Test is line up your ball and put a ball marker on your line about 6” in front of the ball.
Then adress the ball and see where the marker looks in relation to the hole. Left or right depending on your eyesight.
It’s weird.

Whereditgo

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I miss a lot on the right.
Tip I got and it does work.

Pro said my dominant eye makes me look right
So when I line my putter face up it’s aiming right instead of at the hole.
I think it’s square to the hole but it’s not.
So he had me aiming left by quite a bit and I holed everything.

Optical illusion plays a big part in golf.!
I was the same, I've now gone back to having a line on the ball and aiming that along the line I want to start the putt on, I've been doing that again for a couple of months and when stood over the ball it still looks to my eye that I am going to miss left, it took a little while to trust the line.

Springveldt

Visit site
Hopefully a bit of both. Stick with the forward ball position and after a while it will become natural.
Putted fantastic again yesterday with the ball on my lead heel, easily the best 2 rounds of putting I've had in a long, long time. Definitely going to stick with it.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Putted fantastic again yesterday with the ball on my lead heel, easily the best 2 rounds of putting I've had in a long, long time. Definitely going to stick with it.
I wish I could remember what a decent putting round was like let alone a fantastic one. Stuck it inside 10 feet on 2nd 3rd and 4th and three putted the 2nd and 3rd for bogey and just got a smelly 4 footer for par at the 4th. I might give this a go tonight. Something has to click

Springveldt

Visit site
I wish I could remember what a decent putting round was like let alone a fantastic one. Stuck it inside 10 feet on 2nd 3rd and 4th and three putted the 2nd and 3rd for bogey and just got a smelly 4 footer for par at the 4th. I might give this a go tonight. Something has to click
ShotScope has my putting at a 20 handicap while my index is currently 4.3 so I know all about bad putting. It's just a shame my V3 watch broke mid round last week (just reboots when trying to read tags or get gps) so I don't have actual stats for the last 2 rounds but what I do know is that I've holed more long putts in the last 2 rounds (5 in total over 15 feet) than I have in the last year combined. I've also made a far higher percentage of putts in the 4-10 foot range over the last 2 rounds.

It feels very weird at first as my natural reaction to lining up a putt is to stand with both feet together at the ball then make a little step left and right so that the ball is between my feet. Now I just take a bigger step with the right foot and leave the left foot still so the ball is on the heel and then putt from there.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Arcoss has my driving as SG lost mainly due to my average distance but my putting SG has been steadily declining from the 6-9 feet and the 10-14 feet (as the 3 putts showed) so I need to change something. I have selected a putter I am sticking with and so just need to focus on making it and I guess that comes from practice and checking the basics and start line and then just making putt after putt