Golf Things That Gladden The Heart

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Great golf from the GB&I women over the three days winning the Curtis Cup…just back from Sunningdale and it was a great watch with big crowds…and it was very warm…

Brilliant stuff.

And what a stunning golf course
It was warm. It did looked great and great to watch them play the course so much better than I ever have. Beer and ice cream wasn't too bad either and not overly expensive

Voyager EMH

Slipper Wearing Plucker of Pheasants
Visit site
18 year old Jasmine Koo and 15 year old Asterisk Talley made 9 birdies in 14 holes to win their Friday fourball match 5&4

In Sunday's singles against Lottie Woad, 15 year old Talley was 5-under par after 10 holes to be 3-up and eventually won 3&2.

Some tremendous scoring and yet GB&I stuck to the task as a team. Brilliant stuff.

Sarah Byrne who was Woad's partner in all four rounds on Friday and Saturday was undefeated for the whole match.
Byrne was 6-under par for 16 holes on Sunday to win her match 3&2.

Rlburnside

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Taking my 12 year old grandson to his monthly medal, club golf played over 6 holes.
He had a great par on second hole but he lost a few shots by going in the rough on two of the holes.
Last hole he drove to about 140 yards.

Waiting to see where he finished.

SteveW86

Head Pro
Visit site
this could easily have gone in the irritation thread, but I’ll see the positives in the situation and put it in here.

Now as a build up to this I haven’t played much golf this year, mainly due to arrival of baby number 2, but I had a round on Wednesday evening and played pretty well for a 77 then had a lesson on Thursday morning and was very happy with how I was striking the ball. Played Saturday evening with my BiL, finished the front 9 +3 but then hit a dreaded shank on the 10th. Every iron shot after that was shank after shank. I ended up walking in after the 13th, it was early evening and I had better stuff to do.

Roll onto yesterday morning, club champs over 36 holes. Get there in good time for a little warm up with some wedges around the greens and all seemed fine. Driver and a duffed bump and run down the first led to a bogey and onto the par 3 2nd. Shank, reload, shank again. I know my game well enough to know I’m not fixing this today, so I NR’d on the 2nd tee. PP’s (one of which was club captain) looked very confused and tried to persuade me not to and that there was still a long way to go. I knew what the right decision was for me, and explained why…..I didn’t want to ruin their day by getting angry about it. I still played the rest of the day, amongst all the shanks I reckon I hit 2 decent iron shots, but I just laughed it off. I was able to laugh about it, and they didn’t have to worry about getting me through it. I even somehow managed 2 birdies in the 2nd round.

I could have got really angry and gone home, but I remembered I’m there for fun, so that’s what I did.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
My lad picking up my old set of clubs from my M-i-Ls at the weekend as he wants to get back into hitting a golf ball. First off..down the range…maybe sometime soon playing a few holes with me.

He had lessons when he was 11 and was a member of my club for a few years, and I saw a couple of years back that the basics of grip, stance and swing to hit the ball straight, are all present and pretty correct.

Now 32, 6’3” and slim, he could still become a decent golfer…if he was inclined and could put the time to it…though I think he just wants to be hitting a ball for the time being. We’ll see.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
this could easily have gone in the irritation thread, but I’ll see the positives in the situation and put it in here.

Now as a build up to this I haven’t played much golf this year, mainly due to arrival of baby number 2, but I had a round on Wednesday evening and played pretty well for a 77 then had a lesson on Thursday morning and was very happy with how I was striking the ball. Played Saturday evening with my BiL, finished the front 9 +3 but then hit a dreaded shank on the 10th. Every iron shot after that was shank after shank. I ended up walking in after the 13th, it was early evening and I had better stuff to do.

Roll onto yesterday morning, club champs over 36 holes. Get there in good time for a little warm up with some wedges around the greens and all seemed fine. Driver and a duffed bump and run down the first led to a bogey and onto the par 3 2nd. Shank, reload, shank again. I know my game well enough to know I’m not fixing this today, so I NR’d on the 2nd tee. PP’s (one of which was club captain) looked very confused and tried to persuade me not to and that there was still a long way to go. I knew what the right decision was for me, and explained why…..I didn’t want to ruin their day by getting angry about it. I still played the rest of the day, amongst all the shanks I reckon I hit 2 decent iron shots, but I just laughed it off. I was able to laugh about it, and they didn’t have to worry about getting me through it. I even somehow managed 2 birdies in the 2nd round.

I could have got really angry and gone home, but I remembered I’m there for fun, so that’s what I did.
Tough one. Are you getting a lesson to fix it. Bound to be a small fault

Doon frae Troon

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Whilst researching my male family history my wife found a substantial hole by hole press cutting detailing my Grandfather's win in the Evening News Scottish Foursomes Championship.
He won with his 20 year old cousin who went on to win the Scottish Amateur Championship the following year.

Slime

Tour Winner
Visit site
Last week I left my rangefinder magnetised to the buggy I'd used.
It was not handed in by the time I reported it two days later!
I popped into the club on Monday, it still hadn't been handed in, and asked for them to study the CCTV just in case that showed who'd taken it.
I made sure everyone knew that the CCTV was being studied.
Lo and behold, on Tuesday it mysteriously reappeared behind the bar!
Who'd have thought?

rosie

Hacker
Visit site
Took my 9 year Grandson for his first game of golf, we played 9 holes, he hit his shots from where my drive ended up, except on the par 3s, where he hit his shots from the tee box.
Every time I teed off, he shouted, 'Silence please', television style 😁 And when he hit a good shot, we cheered and whooped. Illicit can of Pepsi at the clubhouse after to finish his round off.
Best fun golf I've had for ages.

Bratty

Princess Pouty (Queen of Fish Lips)
Visit site
Shooting my lowest ever round of golf (even though off yellows, it still counts!), 74, 5 under handicap, at St. George's Hill on Wednesday.
And that cut me to 6.6 meaning that at my home course, I am almost able to say I'm a single figure handicapper again. Our slope is 146, so I'm still of 10. But at 95%, I'm off 9, so does that count?

sunshine

Visit site
Playing a classic Surrey heathland course on a lovely warm and sunny September day. Worplesdon had blue skies, purple heather, sparkling sand. I think September can often be the best month for golf in England.

Shame that the rest of the forum didn't have the same Surrey experience this week.

ExRabbit

Club Champion
Visit site
Shooting my lowest ever round of golf (even though off yellows, it still counts!), 74, 5 under handicap, at St. George's Hill on Wednesday.
And that cut me to 6.6 meaning that at my home course, I am almost able to say I'm a single figure handicapper again. Our slope is 146, so I'm still of 10. But at 95%, I'm off 9, so does that count?
Well, your playing handicap will be 9, and at the end of the round you will be subtracting 9 from your gross score, so you must be a single figure handicapper I would have thought - unless you go to a harder course! :D

PhilTheFragger

Provider of Entertainment for the Golfing Gods 🙄
Visit site
These days the only constant in handicapping is your index

So if your index is under 10. Then a single figure handicapper thou art
At least in my book

Only 14.8 to go in my case 😬🙄

Well played Sir

sjw

Visit site
These days the only constant in handicapping is your index

So if your index is under 10. Then a single figure handicapper thou art
At least in my book

Only 14.8 to go in my case 😬🙄

Well played Sir
That is how I look at it as well. You're either single figures or you're not, it shouldn't change depending on tees/course