Golf Things That Gladden The Heart

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Just stumbled across the thread I opened on 7th Jan 2014 to clarify, once and for all, what I meant by what @Doon frae Troon, subsequent to my original thoughts of 2013, had joking referred to as HNSP.

I had opened the new thread as the original discussion on the matter had been closed by the mods (probably exhausted by it) - it had gone on for so long. I said my piece and suggested that the mods close the new thread there and then.

But guess what…that new thread wasn’t closed down and it went on for another 67 pages and 1,334 posts 😂🤣 until we all collapsed probably exhausted ourselves and it went into abeyance until for a short while in 2016 it was resurrected but rapidly died down.

HNSP…a discussion from the past of over ten years ago…fond in the memory - and I still maintain, and adhere to, what I said back then 🙃

Last edited:

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
......................... and HNSP stands for?
…as you asked and I cannot contain myself…Historic Natural Standing Position (if my memory serves me correctly)

I came across the thread as I have this afternoon been browsing Harry Vardon’s book of 1905, The Complete Golfer (my edition was published in 1914).

In Chapter XII Some General Hints…Vardon writes…

Be careful that you always stand on the proper side of the tee when your opponent is preparing to drive.

And way back then I suggested what that ‘proper side’ was - indeed I recalled how, back in about 1970, I was told, in no uncertain terms, by some auld fellas just exactly where that was and where I should stand when they were teeing off.

A very vigorous and very lengthy debate about that ensued on here.

Doon frae Troon

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
......................... and HNSP stands for?
Historic Natural Safe Standing Position . [I think it was actually HNSSP but could be wrong]
Basically, the safest position to stand on a teeing ground. Basically 4pm on a clock on a 12 noon/6pm target.
I recall getting an amazing amount of angst from some fools that thought it was OK to stand directly behind a golfer as he was teeing off

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Historic Natural Safe Standing Position . [I think it was actually HNSSP but could be wrong]
Basically, the safest position to stand on a teeing ground. Basically 4pm on a clock on a 12 noon/6pm target.
I recall getting an amazing amount of angst from some fools that thought it was OK to stand directly behind a golfer as he was teeing off
I’m certain we didn’t have the ‘safe’ in there…only one S…as my 7th Jan 2014 post refers to HNSP. And Vardon’s thoughts imply that the player should be able to be aware of what his playing companions are doing, or not doing, as well as where they are as he prepares to tee off 👍

Last edited:

sjw

Visit site
Looking back at my handicap record I can really see that there was a certain point that things started to click. I wrote on here about getting cut 3 shots in two rounds - I'm now down to 13.9, my new lowest ever, and all my counting scores are in the last 10, so I won't be going up again for a while :)

Golfnut1957

Visit site
Thinning a blade in the summer and watching it scoot just as far as it would have gone in the air. And, because it is warm, the fingers don't sting after.

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
There’s a pairs Open comp been running for last couple of years & its coming round again in a few weeks. Really good fun (and long) day
Same day, 36 holes on two adjacent courses, buggy’s inc with breakfast, lunch, beach party dinner, alcohol etc all for less than a ton pp

Just got an email saying I can also have a free practice round on each course in the 2 weeks before the event, both now booked. Bigger bargain than I thought (y)

Voyager EMH

Slipper Wearing Plucker of Pheasants
Visit site
You wait a couple of months and try it in January
I learnt to play with blades in the 1970s, got my first perimeter weighted irons in 1992, played a few games with blades again in recent years, thinned loads of shots with all clubs and never once experienced this stinging fingers thing that people mention occurring with blades more than other non-blade clubs.
Maybe I need to make some other error in addition to thinning it - grip the club too tightly maybe? I really don't know, merely speculating.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Handicap cut from yesterday and I'm back down to 11.1, what started off as a 'purple patch' earlier this year has definitely become more and it's been a long time coming if I'm honest.

Single figures is looking more and more realistic :)
I'm down to 10.5 which is lowest since around 2013-14 and so single figures are tantalisingly close although the conservative golfer sys is winter the right time to get down with no run and no shots. Think as I've gone from 14.4 this season its a no brainer and keep licking on

GreiginFife

Money List Winner
Visit site
Handicap cut from yesterday and I'm back down to 11.1, what started off as a 'purple patch' earlier this year has definitely become more and it's been a long time coming if I'm honest.

Single figures is looking more and more realistic :)
I’d say, from what I saw (albeit in less than favourable conditions) that your issue to resolve is one of consistency and shot selection.

Swing and strike didn’t seem to be an issue to my mind and so work out those minor kinks and you have a solid single figure game.

DeanoMK

Club Champion
Visit site
I’d say, from what I saw (albeit in less than favourable conditions) that your issue to resolve is one of consistency and shot selection.

Swing and strike didn’t seem to be an issue to my mind and so work out those minor kinks and you have a solid single figure game.

Thank you, I appreciate that! The part in bold is definitely the main one I think right now, my tee shot on the 15th yesterday was due to me being too aggressive with my club selection and that was definitely the case at H4H too on a few holes were I took driver and really shouldn't have.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Thank you, I appreciate that! The part in bold is definitely the main one I think right now, my tee shot on the 15th yesterday was due to me being too aggressive with my club selection and that was definitely the case at H4H too on a few holes were I took driver and really shouldn't have.
Some very interesting podcasts from the likes of Karl Morris on things like shot selection