Golf Things That Gladden The Heart

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Didn't know where to post this, but we have a Golf Irritations thread as well so this will do. :p

When I first joined a golf club 5 or 6 years I did so with my mate Ben. Our first handicaps were 24 (me) & 17 for him. Playing there at the old club I got down to 16 but he got down to 11 at his best so he was always that bit better than me.

Recently I've been continuing to improve but he started moving the other way. After yesterday's round and today's handicap updates, I'm finally below him for the first time! I'm down to 13.7 and he went up to 14.9. Nothing like a good rivalry to keep you motivated, although it's obviously worked better for me than for him. He should never be as high as 15 though, so I do hope he can sort out his short game, start getting cut and make a game of it again. Keep me on my toes! For now though I will be lording it over him for a little while. :D

Mel Smooth

Hacker
Visit site
For me, it’s watching the boy develop and improve. Started him when he was young, and at 12 years old, 5ft and 6 stone, he can hit his driver as far, sometimes further than me. Gets lots of compliment when he plays with others, not only on his golf, but also on his character - which as a parent, is great to hear.

Also, finding a nice shiny ProV1 in the rough that somebody has given up on. ?

Albo

Visit site
Making a par on the last to break 100 on a day when you’re swinging so poorly especially on a par 69 course when you’re supposedly off 9.
Clutching at straws much

Tashyboy

Please don’t ask to see my tatts 👍
Visit site
Getting me first hole in one yesterday. Missis T and the two grandkids didn’t seem to impressed but that second hole on the crazy pirate golf course is a toughie. Young Bradley got one as well. After the initial count ( by me) missis Tash won by two shots. A bit later I counted again and I had missed off her 4 on the 18th. I won the crazy golf by 2 shots. Kids loved it.

timd77

Assistant Pro
Visit site
For me it’s the contrast of getting up early on a cold but crisp winter morning, teeing off when the sun’s still coming up, your ball leaving a track on the green as it travels then getting back in the clubhouse to warm up. Versus, the first spring round when you can wear shorts and polo, lots of wildlife joining you, an extra few yards roll out and sitting outside for a beer to cool down afterwards!

Beezerk

Money List Winner
Visit site
I managed to slice open a finger on my left hand on Saturday while doing some cooking, it was quite bad and possibly needed stitches.
Turned up for a board comp yesterday morning thinking I could play, first tee shot goes straight into the pond short left and I was in agony, finished the first 2 holes 5 over ?
Got to the 5th tee box which is right next to the car park, ran to my car and got a roll of gaffer tape and did some running repairs, played really well for the rest of the round and walked off 9 over and 42 points
Won the comp by 2 points ?

Yorkhacker

Visit site
Playing golf on my home course. I've played a few nice courses this year (Ganton, Ilkley, Hallamshire, Selby, Coxmoor) and as good as they have been, I am always happy to come back to my own course. I never get bored with playing there, and feel priveleged to be a member.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Yesterday I scored rubbish but hit some good 'meant' shot, and this morning as a result I find that my HI has gone up 0.5 and I get an extra shot - just in time for the Seniors (Gross and Nett) Championship on Wednesday. Though TBH the way I am scoring at the moment that extra shot will simply get lost in the noise...

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site
Getting me first hole in one yesterday. Missis T and the two grandkids didn’t seem to impressed but that second hole on the crazy pirate golf course is a toughie. Young Bradley got one as well. After the initial count ( by me) missis Tash won by two shots. A bit later I counted again and I had missed off her 4 on the 18th. I won the crazy golf by 2 shots. Kids loved it.

I hope you bought the first round - of Pepsi!

I played with my 2 grandchildren on the pirates crazy golf last year, and they both got hole in one's I didn't ??