Golf Things That Gladden The Heart

Red devil

Visit site
Watched Adilson da Silva win Staysure Seniors on Sunday at Formby with -18 on a tough course. An invitee,said just before this win been considering jacking it in an getting a job because of the struggle to make ends meet. Gets a years exemption and a bit of money in the pot. Well done, a humble man.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Just seen the list of players and handicaps assigned for my upcoming office golf day at the end of the month - apparently I'm the lowest! Not sure if that's good or bad but will be a new feeling being the "best" there. ? I think a lot of them don't have official handicaps as they only play a little bit, I'm sure there will be a bandit among the eight people he's assigned 24 to 28. He's given me 12 and the next best are two guys who've been assigned 16.

It's at the London Club so I think the biggest worry will actually be finishing the round before dark with all these "28 handicappers" who never play. :LOL:

SHiiBBZ

Club Champion
Visit site
That rare feeling of striking an iron so clean you barely feel it come off the clubface. Then seeing it draw slightly to land perfectly on the green about 2ft from the pin.

Doesn't happen very often but it's bliss when it does.

Backache

Assistant Pro
Visit site
That rare feeling of striking an iron so clean you barely feel it come off the clubface. Then seeing it draw slightly to land perfectly on the green about 2ft from the pin.

Doesn't happen very often but it's bliss when it does.
You can't be real golfer, you're not left distressed that it didn't travel the extra two feet to the hole.;)

Barking_Mad

Visit site
So how was it; could you see over the bunkers? :LOL::LOL:

Well... I'm off 13 and I'd not hit a ball in 2 weeks due to Covid. I was nowhere near 100%, very tired but clearly not going to cancel. ?

Easily the hardest and best course I've played. Bunkers weren't there for decoration, quite brilliantly placed which is disheartening when your Sunday best 250 yard drives land in them and chipping out sideways is your only choice. ?

Anything off the fairway was hard to find in the heather and gorse which wasn't much of an issue to me, but was for my playing partner whose shonky hooked drives were causing many lost pro v1 balls ? (6 at the final count!)

Ended up scoring a very tired 101 (52/49). I was +5 for the last 7 holes and played some decent stuff. As usual, high scores were the killers...

For 14 of the holes I was +16
For another 4 holes I was +13 ?

Very jealous people have it as a home course, so pretty on a late summer day with the sun shining through the pines and well worth £90 twighlight. ?

Blue in Munich

Crocked Professional Yeti Impersonator
Visit site
Well... I'm off 13 and I'd not hit a ball in 2 weeks due to Covid. I was nowhere near 100%, very tired but clearly not going to cancel. ?

Easily the hardest and best course I've played. Bunkers weren't there for decoration, quite brilliantly placed which is disheartening when your Sunday best 259 yard drives land in them and chipping out sideways is your only choice. ?

Anything off the fairway was hard to find in the heather and gorse which wasn't much of an issue to me, but was for my playing partner whose shonky hooked drives were causing many lost pro v1 balls ? (6 at the final count!)

Ended up scoring a very tired 101 (52/49). I was +5 for the last 7 holes and played some decent stuff. As usual, high scores were the killers...

For 14 of the holes I was +16
For another 4 holes I was +13 ?

Very jealous people have it as a home course, so pretty on a late summer day with the sun shining through the pines and well worth £90 twighlight. ?

Did you go back the next morning & collect them... ;)

sunshine

Visit site
Just seen the list of players and handicaps assigned for my upcoming office golf day at the end of the month - apparently I'm the lowest! Not sure if that's good or bad but will be a new feeling being the "best" there. ? I think a lot of them don't have official handicaps as they only play a little bit, I'm sure there will be a bandit among the eight people he's assigned 24 to 28. He's given me 12 and the next best are two guys who've been assigned 16.

It's at the London Club so I think the biggest worry will actually be finishing the round before dark with all these "28 handicappers" who never play. :LOL:

This might be a really outdated statement, but didn’t you say that you would never spend more than £40 or £50 on a round of golf, so you have never played any “better” courses? If so, is this your first round on a “big name” course? Enjoy!

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
This might be a really outdated statement, but didn’t you say that you would never spend more than £40 or £50 on a round of golf, so you have never played any “better” courses? If so, is this your first round on a “big name” course? Enjoy!
True enough, other than the two nice courses I played on last year's H4H forum meet. Have certainly never played at the London Club, there looks to be a lot of water there. I don't know which course we're on but both look similar. Should be fun, I might lose a couple of balls though. ? Not as many as the guys I'll be playing with probably. One or two them genuinely said they've only played 3 or 4 rounds of golf, full stop. ?

Edit: In other news you might be interested in, I've just booked to play West Herts for the first time next Friday on my birthday.

sunshine

Visit site
Edit: In other news you might be interested in, I've just booked to play West Herts for the first time next Friday on my birthday.

I’ve heard West Herts is in a terrible state at the moment. No fairway irrigation so the course is burnt out and the fairways are white. That’s ok on a links course but on a parkland course it means the fairways are dead.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
I’ve heard West Herts is in a terrible state at the moment. No fairway irrigation so the course is burnt out and the fairways are white. That’s ok on a links course but on a parkland course it means the fairways are dead.
Great, I was looking forward to that, wish I hadn't mentioned it now. :rolleyes:

We did have a downpour yesterday, maybe another one on the way before next week so you never know. :LOL:

sunshine

Visit site
True enough, other than the two nice courses I played on last year's H4H forum meet. Have certainly never played at the London Club, there looks to be a lot of water there. I don't know which course we're on but both look similar. Should be fun, I might lose a couple of balls though. ? Not as many as the guys I'll be playing with probably. One or two them genuinely said they've only played 3 or 4 rounds of golf, full stop. ?

The Heritage course is members and guests only so I expect you will be on the International, which is still a great course. Lots of water but quite wide open and usually set up for societies. You’ll have fun.

sunshine

Visit site
Great, I was looking forward to that, wish I hadn't mentioned it now. :rolleyes:

We did have a downpour yesterday, maybe another one on the way before next week so you never know. :LOL:

Maybe have a look before you pay your green fee. I’ve heard Moor Park has also struggled this year (they are putting in irrigation this winter).

On the other hand, apparently Stanmore has been good this year. And Sandy Lodge plays as an inland links so is fine in a drought.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Maybe have a look before you pay your green fee. I’ve heard Moor Park has also struggled this year (they are putting in irrigation this winter).

On the other hand, apparently Stanmore has been good this year. And Sandy Lodge plays as an inland links so is fine in a drought.
I'm not that fussy mate, it's only £35 on the County Card. My course, Grims Dyke coped excellently with the heatwave and we've been really lucky to play there I would say. I've played other courses where the fairways were dead but it doesn't bother me too much. As long as the greens are ok. Sandy Lodge is a lot more expensive, and we played Stanmore earlier this year (got my best ever round there of 76!), whereas West Herts we've never played.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
On Sunday having had a stinker my HI goes up 0.5 - and that was just enough to put my CH up by one.
On Wednesday playing in the Seniors Club Champs I had a cracker - and with my additional shot I came 3rd and won some ££s - without it nada :)
On Thursday, as a result of Wednesday, I was cut 0.4 and lost the shot I got from Sunday

Yes - similar could happen under the old system but it would have taken 5 rounds for me to scrape that extra shot. :)